Trouble

HDD turn off BPi

12 9657
Hi,

When I plug my USB HDD my banana turns off. I used Samsung HDD and WD HDD, both USB.

Is this happening because my HDD eat all power? I'm using ASUS power adapter 2A.

If I plug a pen-drive or USB mouse/keyboard this doesn't happens.

Thanks,

Alexandre
Looks like the power adapter is not powering enough to keep both banana pi and hard disk on.
You need a really good power adapter 2A 5V. Try changing adapter.

In raspbian OS for raspberry pi, below used to work. I doubt if the /boot/config.txt is anymore valid w.r.t banana pi. Experts please advise
        sudo vi /boot/config.txt

go to last line and enter below
        safe_mode_gpio=4

or in latest version
        max_usb_current=1

Now reboot the PI.
    Once it reboots, you should be able to access your high powered Hard disks

It looks like safe_mode_gpio=4 worked.

But only works if I plug my USB HDD and then I power on BPi. If BPi is powered on and I plug my USB HDD, BPi will die.

Any idea? Is this right? If I plug another USB thing, BPi doesn't die.

Edited by silentcreek at Thu Dec 4, 2014 06:58

I'd say you have a hard drive that takes too much power to spin up when it's turned on.

I tested several USB hard drives with my Banana Pi and I also found one that doesn't work (while most work). My suspicion about the one drive that didn't work is that it's a drive with 7200rpm which requires more power to spin up (it's also louder than the other drives I tested). The one drive that I couldn't get to work was Western Digital Elements 750GB USB3.0. The other drives that work fine are Toshiba USB hard drives.

I would suggest you get a powered USB hub with enough power to supply the external hard drive. This will give you another advantage btw: If you use a USB hub that provides power for your hard drive, then the power management unit (PMU) of your Banana Pi will stay cooler as well (in my case, depending on the load, that makes a difference of up to 5°C).

Yes, I'm planning to do this. It's better to power up 2 HDDs.

Does the D5 diode problem exist for the external hard disk powered by USB too ? i.e if I connect my WD 1TB HDD (no external power) , do you say I can burn down D5 diode?

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Fri Dec 5, 2014 05:51
subramanya replied at Thu Dec 4, 2014 16:04
Does the D5 diode problem exist for the external hard disk powered by USB too ? i.e if I connect my  ...

According to our super moderator Tony (who disappeared here like all the other LeMaker folks a few days ago?) the D5 problem is only related to USB power: http://forum.lemaker.org/forum.p ... =2522&pid=48051

My Banana Pi's fortunately shut down prior to burning D5 when I attach USB peripherals while running (a standard Apple keyboard with an optical mouse connected is enough). So I would never rely on the BPi being able to power external stuff via USB. Better use a powered USB hub but ensure that it's not one violating the specs and backpowering the BPi (since then D5 will be burned for sure). https://duckduckgo.com/?q=d5+hub+site%3Aforum.lemaker.org

I would pull the HDD out of its USB enclosure and use the SATA port. It's not only faster but allows the disk to be powered without utilizing the PMU and you can read out the health state of the drive via smartmontools and so on. One of the main advantages of the Banana Pi is its SATA connector

BTW: Many people fail to understand that it's not enough to look at the specs of your PSU but that you should better have a look what's available to the BPi itself. Faulty cables are one of the main reasons why people have power supply problems (and please forget about your PSU ratings above 2.0A. The Banana Pi uses a Micro USB connector to be powered with such tiny contacts that it's impossible to provide more current).

To see what's available to the power management unit internally open up a terminal and execute
  1. awk '{printf ("%0.1f",$1/1000); }' </sys/devices/platform/sunxi-i2c.0/i2c-0/0-0034/axp20-supplyer.28/power_supply/ac/current_now
  2. awk '{printf ("%0.2f",$1/1000000); }' </sys/devices/platform/sunxi-i2c.0/i2c-0/0-0034/axp20-supplyer.28/power_supply/ac/voltage_now
  3. awk '{printf ("%0.1f",$1/1000); }' </sys/devices/platform/sunxi-i2c.0/i2c-0/0-0034/axp20-supplyer.28/power_supply/usb/current_now
  4. awk '{printf ("%0.2f",$1/1000000); }' </sys/devices/platform/sunxi-i2c.0/i2c-0/0-0034/axp20-supplyer.28/power_supply/usb/voltage_now
Copy the Code

The voltage and current from D5 support USB, HDMI, +5V on 26 Pins, OTG.

tkaiser replied at Fri Dec 5, 2014 01:54
According to our super moderator Tony (who disappeared here like all the other LeMaker folks a few ...

I am testing Pro, so may not have time to look over forum. I am back here, because Pro has been tested well.

Welcome back Tony. Good to know Pro is on track.

Now this is confusing.
Tony says D5 should not burn out when we connect USB, but many ppl have already tested and burned down the diode.
SinoVOIP has mentioned this problem was in first 1K batch of Banana PI.

Now, how do banana pi owners ensure they don't get into this issue?
If solution is to have a custom USB hub which does not back power the PI, then the whole point of having 2 USB port in banana pi is defeated.

This is certainly a bad thing for the use of Banana PI.

Or have I mistaken the explanation?
Super moderators please comment and help

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules