Discussion

BPI-M2 - Quade core - 4x USB - Wifi

35 16166
tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:15
mikronauts replied at Fri Dec 12, 2014 09:44
Well, I still think it will be easier to support an A31 (with A20) software base than say an i.MX266 ...

Maybe. But the main problem is the GPU (as said before: currently there are two options for such an A31 thing: Android toy or headless server, there's no support in sunxi-linux and the commits in sunxi-next and mainline for the A31/A31s are limited. And given the 'speed' and competence of SinoVoip regarding software issues maybe it will last forever until the software situation is as good as with A20 boards).

If the 'pro' is available I will test it as a potential replacement for the BPi. And if I would look for a faster board without SATA then it's a no-brainer: ODROID-C1 instead of the BPi-M2

The only Allwinner SoC I'm interested in 'above' the A20 would be the A80 (still waiting for Igor )

I know. GPU support is the biggest fly in the ointment for all these SBC's.

Most of my projects for SBC's do not involve video playback, and I really like having more I/O and SATA, so I will find uses for the BPi-Pro, I look at the BPi-Pro as basically being a Banana Pi+ ... one thing I really like is the emergence of the 40 pin GPIO connector standardized pinout.

I agree, the C1 looks very interesting for compute intensive applications, it will be interesting to see how it will perform compared to tbe PBi-M2.

I almost pulled the trigger on a A80 board yesterday - and I probably won't be able to resist much longer.

mikronauts replied at Fri Dec 12, 2014 09:44
Well, I still think it will be easier to support an A31 (with A20) software base than say an i.MX266 ...
The advantage to on-board WiFi is the certainty of a supplied working driver and if there is an external antenna connector, then it is probably ok.

There is one external antenna connector on the BPi-pro. Other than that, I've been able to use it in client and AP modes without a problem.

I see the BPi-pro being a huge improvement over the BPi M1, but I don't see the M2 being really usefull, because of software support (or lack of). We'll see.

Glad to hear re/ external antenna, and I agree, the Pro seems like a very nice upgrade of the M1.

I don't yet know enough about the A31s to comment too much about the M2... but I will say I really like all these small ARM variant SBC's coming out!

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Sat Dec 13, 2014 08:10
mikronauts replied at Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:57
the C1 looks very interesting for compute intensive applications, it will be interesting to see how it will perform compared to tbe PBi-M2

The Hardkernel staff already did some benchmarking (something never seen from the BPi's vendors ):

Based on these figures and the known facts (Cortex A5 vs A7) the BPi-M2 might be slightly faster depending on the instructions used.

BTW: If you're running out of GPIO pins then I would definitely have a look at Olimex boards (and unlike Hardkernel or Lenovator/LeMaker/SinoVoip or whoever the company behind the Bananas is today they do really support Open Source Hardware)

Thanks, the numbers look good, it will be interesting to compare to the M2.

I have some Olimex boards, but none of their Arm ones... I'll have to take a closer look.

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Sat Dec 13, 2014 09:59
mikronauts replied at Sat Dec 13, 2014 08:06
Thanks, the numbers look good, it will be interesting to compare to the M2.

If you really need performance then simply forget about Cortex A7 (as in A20/A31s) or A5 (ODROID-C1) and choose at least Cortex A15:

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014 ... 3288-allwinner-a80/

(A31 based tablets get an AnTuTu score below 12.000 points when clocked with 1 Ghz so the performance of the BPi-M2 is simply predictable. An ODROID-XU3 will be 3-4 times faster... and more expensive as well)

Regarding Olimex boards: LIME/LIME2 with A20 is nearly 100% compatible with Banana Pi/Pro (except of the GPIO stuff of course!)

Edited by mikronauts at Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:24

Thank you, I'll check them out.

For performance, I used to use Intel/AMD chips, but frankly, the power budget of the ARM's, along with the performance levels they are reaching, are making them really attractive, thus my increased interest in SBC's.

So far, I have been having fun with RPi's and BPi's, but I intend to expand my horizons

mikronauts replied at Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:23
Thank you, I'll check them out.

For performance, I used to use Intel/AMD chips, but frankly, the po ...

I am hoping we can see your more application and testing on Pro/Pi

tony_zhang replied at Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:35
I am hoping we can see your more application and testing on Pro/Pi

You will

I have several Banana Pi projects waiting for time to do them, and you will see a Banana Pro review roughly a week after I get my hands on one!

Is there a dimensioned drawing of the Pro somewhere? I remember seeing one for the Banana Pi, but can't find it. I'd prefer PDF, DXF, or Eagle format.

The reason I am asking: I am working on a product for the Banana Pi / Pro, and need accurate dimensions

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules