Discussion

LMSensors compatible A20 temperature sensor

20 6444
tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Sun Dec 21, 2014 13:21
destroyedlolo replied at Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:30
But why is it having this strange name ? It's not ISA.

Traditionally even in x86 systems without ISA slots there existed hardware monitoring ICs that were accessible via ISA (eg. Winbond W8378xD or NSC's LM78/LM79 chips). So it's just a mismatch or wrong declaration of the A20 monitoring code using an IC accesible through ISA

Edited by destroyedlolo at Mon Dec 22, 2014 00:04

Anyway, I'm not sure it worth the effort :

For my usage, CPU is closely following MPU temperature. But my machines are headless and the result may be different with GPU activities. Can someone test that ?

CPU & MPU temperature

CPU & MPU temperature

Well, it's not so useless : I installed this probe on my basement server (the ambiant temperature is about 10°C) and MPU and CPU temperature differ.

We can see trends are the same but w/ offsets : again, I have to try with graphical activities ...
soussol.png

An update after some months of continuous working and some reboot ...

The documentation clearly says the A20 temperature probe is not calibrated ... but it doesn't say, the "calibration value" to use differ from one boot to another.

As you can see just above, the difference b/w PMU and CPU was about 7°C ... after a reboot, it jumps to 10°C, and I did another reboot yesterday and the difference is now ... 1°C !!!

And their is strictly no relationship with the ambient temperature as the offset is stables until I reboot.

Well, consequently, CPU temperature helps to see evolution, picks, ... but you can't trust at all on the absolute value !

vim  
Hi all.

I have installed OpenMediaVault on my Banan Pi Pro and am trying to set it up to display/monitor sensor data.  It looks like I need the lm-sensors package.  It also looks like the lm-sensors site is down and has been for a while.

I was able to download version 3.4.0 from a mirror site.  I ran sensors-detect and no sensors were found.  I also tried the default in the debian repo and it installed a earlier version.  With the sensors-detect installed it displays "/sys/bus/pci/devices: No such file or directory at /usr/sbin/sensors-detect line 3003."

What package/version of lm-sensors are you using?  Where did you obtain it?  Can you provide your version of the configuration file?

Thanks in advance

vim  
It looks like it may be related to the kernel being used.  I forgot to say the kernel I'm currently using is:

1. root@bananas:/# uname -a
  2. Linux bananas 3.4.103+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jan 28 13:49:47 CET 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
Copy the Code

When reviewing the features for Bananian, "temperature probe (lm-sensors) compatible" is listed.  Not sure what makes one kernel have lm-sensors support and another not.
I'm comfortable using Unix but I've never compiled a kernel.

Would kernels be interchangeable?  Can I switch another kernel for the one I'm using and leave the rest as-is?

Hi,

as I said in the very first post, you need to add a kernel module.
But as I said also, measuring PMU temperature is most of the time enough.

Would kernels be interchangeable?  Can I switch another kernel for the one I'm using and leave the rest as-is?

You have to check that all options from the source kernel are present on the target one. You have also to copy all modules as well.

vim  
Edited by vim at Mar 20, 2016 18:12

I'm not familiar with these kernels and compiling them.  I had a look at the code you linked to in the first post to see what I could figure out.

I had a look at the options in config.gz in my current kernel and didn't find any references to CONFIG_SENSORS_A20_TP_HWMON or SENSORS_A20_TP_HWMON.

I found CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_SUN4I_TS=m set in config.gz which is referenced in the code.  It looks like this isn't supposed to be set but I'm not sure what the "m" value means.

With the options set, it looks like the a20-tp object is included in the kernel.  I don't know whether it has been included or how to check if it has, but from the above, it looks like it hasn't.

At this point, I'll compare the other options in my current config.gz with the available kernel.  I'm thinking the best way is to start over with Bananian and then re-install OpenMediaVault.

update:  checked items in /proc/modules.  Very few there:
nfsd 221124 11 - Live 0xbf388000
ip6table_filter 1490 0 - Live 0xbf384000
ip6_tables 12872 1 ip6table_filter, Live 0xbf37c000
iptable_filter 1541 0 - Live 0xbf378000
ip_tables 13171 1 iptable_filter, Live 0xbf370000
x_tables 17123 4 ip6table_filter,ip6_tables,iptable_filter,ip_tables, Live 0xbf366000
ap6210 624553 0 - Live 0xbf095000
mali_drm 2638 0 - Live 0xbf089000
drm 213190 1 mali_drm, Live 0xbf03e000
mali 113887 0 - Live 0xbf015000
ump 57103 1 mali, Live 0xbf000000

I don't know if that's a complete list, but it looks very light.

Thanks for you assistance.

Which is the kernel you're using. Because the thermal probe is supposed to be part of TOUCHSCREEN_SUN4I_TS in recent kernel.

I found CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_SUN4I_TS=m set in config.gz which is referenced in the code.  It looks like this isn't supposed to be set but I'm not sure what the "m" value means.

It's mean it's a loadable module.

vim  
Great.  So, maybe I'm just missing the loadable module.

I looked for a file with "a20-tp" in it but didn't find any.  I used:

1. find / -name "*a20-tp*" -type f
Copy the Code

Is that the right file name I should be looking for?  Where should it be located?

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules