Discussion

WOL support

18 14969
bpiuser  
after some more investigation here is my summary about possible WOL support for the Banana Pi:

You may also read the complete detailed write up - see attachement.

Summary
Although WOL is not implemented in the current revision of the Banana Pi, it looks feasible and promising to investigate next steps in that direction. The required hardware changes are expected to be minor and hopefully could be confirmed by the hardware engineers of the Banana Pi project - cf. PDF. The reason for the modified Ethernet driver is not yet clear, why the realtek linux driver (with WOL support) could not be used. Anyway the Software changes are expected to be the most critical part.
In case the implementation of WOL is confirmed to be feasible, then a further developed and optimized solution is an appreciated candidate for a next board revision.

WOL for Banana Pi.pdf

322.17 KB, Downloads: 198

WOL for Banana Pi – a first attempt to get a clear Picture

tkaiser  
Alternatively investigate why the realtek driver (which comnes with WOL support) could not be used

Still not clear? The A20 has no PCIe, the connection between CPU/SoC and PHY is using RGMII and the RTL8211 only acts as PHY (therefore stmmac/sunxi_gmac drivers are needed and Realtek drivers are of no help). The NIC is inside the SoC, when the SoC is off then there is nothing active that could react on magick packets.

bpiuser  
well, the Realtek can be programmed to initiate the wakeup... in this mode it shall be used as NIC and thus can trigger the PMU as mentioned in my writeup
this should not be limited by the type of physical bus connection to the SoC

bpiuser  
from LeMaker Team
Hi,
It is a very good solution,but we are unable to test and verify at present,  we will consider testing the WOL function in the next generation of Banana Pro.
Thanks for your support.
Keep in touch!

tkaiser  
bpiuser replied at Fri Jan 9, 2015 03:26
from LeMaker Team

What else should they answer? The RTL8211 when used as a NIC and connected via PCIe can send a Power Management Event (PME). To a device that features a PCIe bus. And is in powered-down state S5 (ACPI -- also not available on BPi/Pro)

So either they use another PHY/NIC or another SoC in the "next generation of Banana Pro". Or they might be able to 'misuse' PMEB (a standard PCI pin) for the wake-up and manage it somehow that the RTL8211 will be provided with power when the device is off (this is the other requirement for WoL normally simply provided by the PCI/PCIe bus -- standby power)

bpiuser  
@tkaiser

We are not in the PC environment and do not need PCIe here. The mods to connect and power the Realtek to/from the PMU and thus wake up the A20 was given in my proposal.

They are planning to add a RTC add-on card so my WOL proposal may be further investigated then; would be a nice combination.

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Thu Jan 15, 2015 08:12
bpiuser replied at Thu Jan 15, 2015 05:47
The mods to connect and power the Realtek to/from the PMU and thus wake up the A20 was given in my proposal

I hope you're right and it will eventually work after some modifications. From my understanding you mix up a few things in your proposal (especially EMAC, GMAC and RTL8211 as MAC implementation which would be necessary to program the WOL functionality, wouldn't it?) and to me it's still unclear if setting up the WOL functionality inside of the RTL8211 will work using MDIO. But I know not that much about this stuff in detail

Edited by destroyedlolo at Sun Mar 8, 2015 22:09
bpiuser replied at Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:47
They are planning to add a RTC add-on card so my WOL proposal may be further investigated then; would be a nice combination.

Why ? The A20 as already a built-in RTC ? Only the battery is missing.

I wonder if it's not possible to wakeup from this RTC alarm, which is enough for my own usage instead of WoL ... (such test are part of my long To Do list )

Also in the docs from RTL8211E i can not find anything for enabling or disabling build-in WOL.
Other RTL8211(F)(40Pin package) shares PMEB/INTB function on same pin and in this transciver modules the functionolity of this pin can be choosen on software side.

RTL8211E is designed for low-power devices like Media-Player, Print-Server and so on.
So to enable WOL you must use PMEB or not if you do not want this!
If you want switching WOL on software side, then your µC must do that. AXP209 can do that by writing on REG 90H! But PMEB is not wired with PMU on Banana Pi, Cubie & co.

Has somebody tried to wire-up AXP209 with RTL8211E?

@Lemaker: Please enable WOL in your next projects, it's only two resisters expensive!

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules