Discussion

What OS should I use for web-server running from HDD?

19 4645
I want to run WordPress from my Banana Pi like I have been with my Raspberry Pi. It needs to be able to run Apache2 and MySQL/php. I also would like to run a local DNS cache using dnsmasq but that's not a priority. I'm going to try copy the MySQL database from the Raspberry Pi and somehow get it going on the Banana Pi, please give a heads up if you know any problems with doing that before I begin.

My main question is what OS should I use that doesn't use much memory. I don't want a GUI that will just use memory when no one is seeing it. I will only be using SSH once it's setup.

A little secondary question, will Apache and MySQL use both cores? I want a OS that will fully utilize the processor because that's why I'm switching to the Banana Pi in the first place
And any thoughts on MySQL lite...

Thanks
I look forward to your thoughts!
Give Bananian Linux a try! It seems to be exactly what you are looking for

I'm using an headless server like the one you want to build, with Apache/PHP/PostgreSQL, DNS, DHCP, NTP, ... some home automation, etc etc.

It runs under Gentoo and the performances are pretty pretty well
I can confirm also both CPU are used.

If you're not an hardcore linux user, i would suggest Banania. If you want a fully tuned system AND you have strong Linux skills and some time to spent you may have a look on Gentoo.

Edited by Kiwi__Power at Wed Dec 10, 2014 08:34
destroyedlolo replied at Wed Dec 10, 2014 06:56
I'm using an headless server like the one you want to build, with Apache/PHP/PostgreSQL, DNS, DHCP,  ...

I have basic Linux skills, hoping to improve!
What makes Gentoo more difficult than others? Does it have apt-get, & pico? What would I do without pico...
How much memory does Gentoo use?

Do you think I'll need a heatsink?

I've been busy wiring up a 5V power supply to run a small 2.5" HDD. It measures in a 5.5V no load so hopefully I don't kill my HDD. I have a 1A 5V PSU that the Raspberry Pi will reluctantly be donating. One PSU for the Banana and another for the HDD! Just looking for a SD card I'm not using, may end up just getting a new one. I'm looking for a old 64MB one we had long ago.

Cheers
Thanks for such quick replies!

a1d3s  
If u dont need Video then u can try my Debian jessie. Http://piprojects.net

Edited by destroyedlolo at Wed Dec 10, 2014 20:28
Kiwi__Power replied at Wed Dec 10, 2014 15:30
I have basic Linux skills, hoping to improve!
What makes Gentoo more difficult than others?

Unlink other distrib, the system comes nude and you can configure EVERYTHING. The drawback is you have to know what you need. It's like a purebred horses : hard to tame, but after you have the quintessence of the system.

Does it have apt-get, & pico?

It has it own package system : emerge.
But it (mostly) not provides binary packages : everything is compiled locally. But I use my other computers as compiler farm so system upgrade is pretty fast.

How much memory does Gentoo use?

Depending what your running. My system (which is quite loaded with my website and home automation) consume about 300 MB. I will try to optimize as some memory are wast with stuffs I don't need, like graphical buffers, ...  The remaining is used for caching.

If you duno Gentoo, I suggest to start with Bananian and try Gentoo on a VM. It worth a try, but it's time consuming at first

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Wed Dec 10, 2014 09:24
Kiwi__Power replied at Wed Dec 10, 2014 08:30
Do you think I'll need a heatsink?

No, just don't use any of the available enclosures since they're all broken by design regarding thermal issues (all the hot stuff on the bottom side of the PCB). There's one exception I know of: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:460603/#files

I operate my Banana Pi's in vertical position with small heatsinks and that's enough even for running them with 1.2 GHz. You can find my conclusions here

Mine in a candy box in my basement and the AXP209 never goes above 40°C, even during heavy compilation.
Even the A20 itself is not too hot for my finger.

mattrix  
Edited by mattrix at Wed Dec 10, 2014 15:21

I would go for Bananian.

Try using NGINX (pronounced Engine-X) instead of Apache
NGINX is much better performance on smaller systems
And, all the cool kids use it

apt-get install nginx

I have been running Bananian as a NAS in a small cupboard non-stop for a good 6months with no heatsink.
It runs Delgue (torrents), MySQL (xbmc shared DB), Samba and 2x hard-drives.
I used to run a website off it as well using NGINX but have since moved this to a cloud server as my upload speed is poos (like most in NZ)

Just make sure you have your BPI upside down (so the heat off the A20 chip rises out of the bottom of the case).

And yes, NGINX will use both cores
Good tut here: https://www.digitalocean.com/com ... nginx-configuration

NGINX is also awesome for load-balancing and proxies  - really easy to do.
If you use PHP with NGINX, I would recommend using php-fpm.

In saying that, I don't use Wordpress, so it may rely on .htaccess files etc which will only work with Apache.
But, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to make work with NGINX.

Reading up about MySQL and multi-core - it looks like MySQL should use multiple-cores "out of the box" automatically for you.
It will only ever use 1x core per query though. But, if you send 2x large queries, it should do them both at the same time.

Would set something like
  1. worker_processes 2;
  2. worker_connections 1024;
Copy the Code

Where are you from in New Zealand?
I'm in Christchurch!

Where are you from in New Zealand?
I'm in Christchurch!

Just a bit north of Auckland. I'm on ADSL2+ via a RBI cabinet. With interleaving turned off I get:

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules