Discussion

What OS should I use for web-server running from HDD?

19 4646
mattrix  
I'm on unlimited Vodafone Cable. (http://www.vodafone.co.nz/broadband/naked-high-speed-cable/)
I get a solid 50 Mbps down, but only 2 Mbps up.

But yes, try NGINX.
I was all Apache, but NGINX is actually easier once you get it up and running.

Also, who are you using for your DNS records to point to your home server?
If your not on a static IP, you will want to write / install a program to check your external IP and then update your DNS records if changes.

Reading up about MySQL and multi-core - it looks like MySQL should use multiple-cores "out of the box" automatically for you.
It will only ever use 1x core per query though. But, if you send 2x large queries, it should do them both at the same time.

That's disappointing. I'm going to look up parallel query execution for MySQL. Usually my Pi only gets one query at a time, once every couple of minutes.

Edited by Kiwi__Power at Thu Dec 11, 2014 05:42
mattrix replied at Wed Dec 10, 2014 20:49
I'm on unlimited Vodafone Cable. (http://www.vodafone.co.nz/broadband/naked-high-speed-cable/)
I get ...

Also, who are you using for your DNS records to point to your home server?
If your not on a static IP, you will want to write / install a program to check your external IP and then update your DNS records if changes.

Yip I'm using DNS records to point to my home server and a static IP (free on my plan).

I've been trying all afternoon to get the thing to boot up on Bananian but it's just not happening. Might try another OS...

When I write the bananian-141102.img to a 8GB SD card it finishes successfully but the card itself goes all funky and GParted can't make head or tail of what file-system is on it. And the BP doesn't boot. If I write the same image to the external HDD it also writes successfully and has a valid file system but I need a SD card installed to boot.
  1. $ sudo dd if=~/Desktop/bananian-141102.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=1M && sync
  2. [sudo] password for user:
  3. 1938+1 records in
  4. 1938+1 records out
  5. 2032664576 bytes (2.0 GB) copied, 44.7084 s, 45.5 MB/s
Copy the Code
SanDisk Extreme Pro 45MB/s 8GB

Some users had to change the display output settings to see anything:
I got HDMI working with the Debian-based distributions. I had to change the UEnv.txt under the boot partition fromdisp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1280x720p50 to disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1920x1080p60

I think I will have to change this also but I can't because once the Bananian image is on the SD card, the file system is screwed. I might try using GParted to copy the valid file system the image created on the HDD to the SD card.

Does anyone know exactly what is needed on the SD card so make it boot from the HDD. On the Raspberry Pi this was easy just copy my SD card partition to a HDD and expand the partition then change one word in the config from mmcblk0p1 to sda1. But first I need a booting, SD card...

At this stage all I get is a solid red LED while it's on, no boot.
No matter. I expected many many difficulties! This is the first of many I'm sure

mattrix  
I just use Win32 Disk Imager to write the Bananian image, put it in the BPI and it boots.
If you have Windows handy, try that

mattrix replied at Thu Dec 11, 2014 13:46
I just use Win32 Disk Imager to write the Bananian image, put it in the BPI and it boots.
If you hav ...

A rookie like me always has Windows handy

Trying Win32 Disk Imager now...

mattrix  
Seems a bit silly using Windows to burn Linux but hey - if it works

Kiwi__Power replied at Thu Dec 11, 2014 17:25
A rookie like me always has Windows handy

Trying Win32 Disk Imager now...

And what-do-ya-know it boots up now!

Thanks for that!

Edited by Kiwi__Power at Thu Dec 11, 2014 20:02

I got it all working from the HDD by changing the uEnv.txt
I've expanded the partition on the HDD to give me all the space so that's all ready and working.

Now I've copied the 20MB FAT16 partition on my 8GB SD card to a smaller 32MB SD card but it didn't boot. I tried a 1GB SD card, still didn't work, then a 2GB SD card, no luck. What does it need other than that FAT16 partition to boot when it's set to boot from the HDD? (sda2)

It works fine from my SanDisk Extreme Pro 45MB/s 8GB SD card but I would like to return that to my camera

Can I not just write 20MB FAT16 partition from the .img file instead of both? Then I can put a 32MB SD card in.

mattrix  
I have never tried this but like the idea of not running from SD (for better performance)

Let me know how you get on.

Might be best for you to start a new thread in the Bananian forum "How to run Bananian from a HDD?"
That way, other users can find the answer once it's provided
The main Bananian guy will probably know what needs to be done.

Also, please share your uEnv.txt mod etc on that thread.

Edited by Kiwi__Power at Fri Dec 12, 2014 00:11

I've started a new thread: http://forum.lemaker.org/forum.p ... id=10522&extra=

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules