Bananian

How to run Bananian from HDD

15 6313
I think I remember someone on the forum had problems booting from a harddrive because he had two harddrives (one sata and one usb) attached. The problem was that the names of the drives weren't always the same (so, /dev/sda/ became /dev/sdb/ and vice versa. The solution would be to reference the harddrive by the disk label (if you assigned a unique label) or it's uuid. I don't know the exact syntax for that in u-boot but you should be able to find it in the documentation or google.

Edited by Kiwi__Power at Sat Dec 13, 2014 04:56
mattrix replied at Sat Dec 13, 2014 03:58
Do you see anything on the screen?

No video out just a green light

The Banana Pi is resisting! I might not beat it this week, maybe not this year, but it will cooperate eventually! Maybe if I could follow the steps you used to make that image of the FAT16 partition only then it would work? The 1s and 0s must have to have gens from the original SD card or it will reject the new organs.

holas  
Have You tried something similar to (the part with gdisk and "Partition unique GUID")?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=44177

holas replied at Sat Dec 13, 2014 04:52
Have You tried something similar to (the part with gdisk and "Partition unique GUID")?
http://www.ra ...

The file for the Raspberry Pi is quite different though.
  1. bootargs=console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 sunxi_g2d_mem_reserve=0 sunxi_ve_mem_reserve=0 disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1680x1050p60 hdmi.audio=EDID:0 console=tty1 root=/dev/sda2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait
  2. aload_script=fatload mmc 0 0x43000000 script.bin;
  3. aload_kernel=fatload mmc 0 0x48000000 uImage; bootm 0x48000000;
  4. uenvcmd=run aload_script aload_kernel
Copy the Code
I basically did the same as he did but from a laptop instead of in the Banana. I installed gdisk and have the Partition unique GUID so I'll try put root=PARTUUID=etc etc etc

Edited by Kiwi__Power at Sun Dec 14, 2014 21:49

[SOLVED]

mattrix your image doesn't boot when loaded onto the 32MB SD card. All else failed so I tried loading it onto the next smallest 1GB SD card! Hallelujah it boots up! So even if the image successfully writes and there is enough space on the card for the image, it doesn't mean it's going to work! I tried a variety of SD cards before posting on here but because I used GParted to copy the FAT16 partitions they didn't work. GParted seems to work like a charm with HDDs but SD cards it will say everything's fine, it will look like everything's fine, all the files will be there looking fine, but it won't boot -_- Win32 Disk Imager seems to be the most reliable but can't copy a single partition.

Here is the file contents, note exactly the same as what the 32MB card had:
  1. bootargs=console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 sunxi_g2d_mem_reserve=0 sunxi_ve_mem_reserve=0 disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1680x1050p60 hdmi.audio=EDID:0 console=tty1 root=/dev/sda2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait
  2. aload_script=fatload mmc 0 0x43000000 script.bin;
  3. aload_kernel=fatload mmc 0 0x48000000 uImage; bootm 0x48000000;
  4. uenvcmd=run aload_script aload_kernel
Copy the Code
But for some reason works with this 1GB SD card but not the 32MB one.

What a fiasco!

So for everyone else:
1. Write the Bananian image to your external HDD.
2. Expand the partition to use the full space.
3. Write this image from mattrix Boot Image to your SD card
4. Change the root=/dev/sda1 to root=/dev/sda2.
5. Check if it boots up.
    No = Go back to step 3 and try again with another SD card
    Yes = Finished

hvdwolf  
I did not try myself yet, but maybe it is worthwhile to check the wiki: http://wiki.lemaker.org/Setting_up_the_bootable_SD_card

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules