Discussion

Switch off the leds ?

66 63955
I thought your account was "dead" as it is marked "not verified" but it's cool hearing from you

After reading RTL8211E datasheet, I understood your code and why you had to write 0x1f. The only question remaining is : it is a way to light LEDs without being linked to a network. I would like to recycle the blue led to disk activities but it would be better not to depend on the network (for wifi only users). It looks to me it's not possible but I may have missed something.

sqr82  
destroyedlolo replied at Sun Nov 9, 2014 09:21
I thought your account was "dead" as it is marked "not verified" but it's cool hearing from you :lov ...

Nope, you are correct there...the 3 leds (blue, and green+yellow on the ethernet port) cannot be controlled independently of the network.
Only their function can be changed.

Roman

Edited by destroyedlolo at Sun Nov 16, 2014 17:20

So here we are :

Let me introduce BananaLEDd 1.0

It's a daemon allowing you :
1/ to configure basic behaviors of ethernet's adapter LEDs
2/ make your LED blinking as per system load and stat disk activities.

Have a look on the README file

Frankly speaking, I'm not sure disk activities is not so true : it seems to me it's dealing with Linux' device (so above disk caching), and not with the physical disk.

Any comment welcome

BananaLEDd_v1.0.tar.gz (4.74 KB, Downloads: 438)

tkaiser  
Thank you Laurent, I put
  1. /usr/local/sbin/BananaLEDd -f/etc/default/BananaLEDd &
Copy the Code
at the end of /etc/rc.local and it works like a charm.

destroyedlolo replied at Sun Nov 16, 2014 16:44
So here we are :

Let me introduce BananaLEDd 1.0

Can I use BananaLED to dim the LEDs, they are so very bright by default I would love to reduce their brightness intensity by 50% if possible.

Also your link http://sourceforge.net/projects/bananacompanions/ is not working.

a1d3s  
I have to test your scripts to bring the green led back to life in ketnel 3.18 by default they dont do anything and i was wondering if my kernel doesnt work

Edited by destroyedlolo at Thu Nov 20, 2014 22:03
blindpet replied at Thu Nov 20, 2014 09:40
Can I use BananaLED to dim the LEDs, they are so very bright by default I would love to reduce their brightness intensity by 50% if possible.

Unfortunately, the PHY provides only  "all or nothing" control as per my knowledges. If someone has a trick to control the brightness as well, I'll be happy to add it in BananaLEDd

Yeap, I discovered yesterday SourceForge removed my project w/o notice   . I've opened a ticket about that

a1d3s replied at Thu Nov 20, 2014 15:04
I have to test your scripts to bring the green led back to life in ketnel 3.18  by default they do ...

BananaLEDd controls only Ethernet LEDs.

The green one is easily available thru /sys (hum, I had to admit, as long as the kernel support it ... ) and has several interesting triggers. Initially, I'd planed to use it as well but as it can bright as per SD card activities, or CPU load, it's enough for my needs.

Hi,

I corrected a bug and released v1.1 of BananaLEDd : I created a dedicated thread for potential future announcements.

Just a comment : initially, I've planned to put this progy and other open source projects related to the Banana on sourceforge. But they removed my project w/o notice and don't reply to my requests for explanation. Shame on them : I'm thinking to move all my project to a platform having some respect to customers

BKs  
Hi,

what about the red (power) led? It´s possible to switch off, with a running system?

Thanks.

Cheers,
BK

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules