SATA Generation

19 4557
i'm also running raspbian for bananapi

Edited by tkaiser at Sat Dec 20, 2014 04:02
markbourke7 replied at Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:16
SATA 2 bandwidth cap is 300MB/s

Ok, you still believe in specs and refuse to accept reality

BTW: Combined tests (network and disk I/O) prevent you efficiently from nailing the real problem down (finding the bottleneck). You would have to measure disk I/O and network individually to get a clue. We always use iozone/iperf for this purpose.

i have no idea how to use those or where to get them, could you help plz?

I don't know Raspbian at all (that's the problem with the beginner's distros Raspbian and Lubuntu: none of the experienced users that might help use them). But since it's Debian based you should be able to do
  1. apt-get install iperf iozone3
Copy the Code
Afterwards you would cd into a directory that's on your disk and run iozone with different record sizes to get an idea about your local storage performance. Some people posted results here: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=iozone+results+site%3Aforum.lemaker.org (40/200 MB/sec write/read is the maximum you get from A20 it seems)

Regarding iperf: it's available for Windows too (https://iperf.fr ) and you will find many tutorials on the net how to use it and interpret the results.

BTW: Everything network/disk/NAS performance related depends on careful tuning of some parameters, the most important SoC clock speed and CPU governor settings: I collected my findings here: http://forum.lemaker.org/thread-7102-1-1.html

And there's a thread regarding Samba performance tuning in the Bananian forum: http://forum.lemaker.org/thread-5802-1-1-.html


bananapi@MyRPi ~ $ sudo apt-get install iozone3
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package iozone3

thanks anyway

I built a Debian package one year ago since the Lubuntu distro I used then for my Cubietruck didn't contained iozone: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ ... fhfKQE/zJZICH_W0ZEJ

But maybe the package is called differently in Raspbian ('apt-cache search iozone' might help to resolve this) or you might succeed using my deb package doing:
  1. wget http://kaiser-edv.de/downloads/iozone3_397-2ubuntu1_armhf.deb
  2. dpkg -i iozone3_397-2ubuntu1_armhf.deb
Copy the Code
Then 'dpkg -l | grep iozone' should list the installed package (to remove it use 'dpkg -r') and 'iozone -h' should output the version of iozone.

BTW: If you want to use the device for more serious purposes then it might be a good idea to stay away from Raspbian/Lubuntu

thanks for all the help

Yes it does work

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules