Discussion

I'm sorry I bought banana pi.

20 6096
tkaiser replied at Thu Jan 8, 2015 02:04
What stands AW for? Allwinner? You really believe they can release OpenSource drivers for the Mali ...

I have met AW technical chief last month. They told me that they are planning open source filed.

tkaiser  
tony_zhang replied at Thu Jan 8, 2015 03:35
I have met AW technical chief last month. They told me that they are planning open source filed.

So does this mean this sentence
Note that these components are not a complete driver stack. To build a functional OpenGL ES or OpenVG driver you need access to the full source code of the Mali GPU DDK, which is provided under the standard ARM commercial licence to all Mali GPU customers
(quoted from ARM) doesn't apply to the A20 any longer?

Allwinner releases the Mali GPU DDK, which they licensed under the standard ARM commercial licence as Open Source? Really?

don570  

It probably won't be true Open Source code which can be modified.
Instead they will limit the code to their customers and say that it
can't be modified without their permission (and Mali's permission).

tkaiser replied at Thu Jan 8, 2015 04:22
So does this mean this sentence  (quoted from ARM) doesn't apply to the A20 any longer?

Allwinner ...

No. I also do not think it is complete open source on the Mali DDK. Maybe some limits. Like BCM2835, it also do not complete open source for its GPU side.

tkaiser replied at Thu Jan 8, 2015 02:04
What stands AW for? Allwinner? You really believe they can release OpenSource drivers for the Mali ...

http://malideveloper.arm.com/dev ... nel-device-drivers/

mouse  
be patient dude

tony_zhang replied at Wed Jan 7, 2015 19:03
Yes. I agree with you. LeMaker hope to make Banana Pi easy. We try our best to do it. But somethin ...

Good, then you should also regulate your moderators, if people perceive that they are being spoken down to (like mattrix above though I am sure he didn't intend it) it gives a bad vibe to new users who want to become part of the community, they will instantly be turned away if they see that kind of communication.

oba  
I seriously don't understand Lemaker. They wanted to build a raspberry alternative, but not as good as the raspberr but better. They knew that most of the ppl use their raspberry as htpc and/or nas. So they put twice the ram, gigabit ethernet, faster cpu, sata...etc., which is awesome. And they put mali gpu on the board? Why? They knew it doesnt have proper linux driver,... and ppl want to use linux.
Im not an expert, I watched reviews of the raspberry, and saw it handles hd videos easy. So I thought that banana pi with better specs will handle them even better. I was wrong. BTW, I like my banana pi, but I hate that it has mali as a gpu, and not another one with proper linux driver. No, I do not want to use android, thank you.
I hope that official mali driver will arive soon and lemaker will include them in their official images.

As far I remember, gfx acceleration took some time to be implemented on the Raspberry as well

Back to the initial message of this topic, we have less and less touchy and very technical message on this board : what's happening ?

mattrix  
My comment was tongue n' cheek (sarcasm).

Seemed the user just expected everyone to drop everything and give him the exact answer.

No one would learn if this was the case.

A bit of homework and googling goes a long way.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules