Discussion

Berryboot - does it work with Banana Pi

32 19582
Hello,
I've owned a Raspberry Pi for about a year now and we have installed them for use in our office.  I'm considering buying a Banana Pi as these are faster and I like the fact there is a gigabit network card.  One thing that would help with our transition from using a Raspberry Pi to Banana Pi would be to use Berryboot (http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/berryboot) and through Berryboot installing our favourite Pi O/S.

Can anyone confirm if Berryboot will work on the Banana Pi?

Thank you.
Yes, we have test it. But not very stable now, so we do not release.

Hello,

Sorry, not sure I understand.  Are you saying you are releasing a version of berryboot for the banana pi yourselves?  

I've asked max at berryboot and this is what his reply was:

Banana Pi will probably work with the Cubieboard 2 image if you overwrite the script.bin file on the SD card with one borrowed from a Banana Pi image.
If they use different RAM chips than the Cubie, you also need a different u-boot SPL.

To find the script.bin file do the following:

Borrow it from any of the operating systems images the vendor provides. First (FAT) partition on the SD card.

If you are stuck with Windows:

1) Go to download page on vendors' website. E.g. for the Cubietruck that would be: http://cubieboard.org/download/
2) Download any of their own operating system images, e.g. Ubuntu or Android for Cubietruck
3) Write the image file to SD card with a program like Win32diskimager
4) Eject SD card, and reinsert it, so that Windows sees the files on it.
5) Copy script.bin from the SD card to a folder on your computer.
6) Now write the Berryboot Cubieboard 2 image to SD card with a program like Win32diskimager
7) Eject SD card, and reinsert it, so that Windows sees the files on it.
8) Copy the script.bin file you saved to a folder on your computer to the SD card, overwrite the one provided by Berryboot (which is for the Cubieboard 2)

The u-boot SPL file must be recompiled from source.  I'm not sure what the steps are for that yet.  Perhaps you can shed some light on what this means.

It would be amazing if berryboot worked on the banana pi.  Just think of the possibilities of easily bringing in new users to the banana pi.  Anyone familiar with the raspberry pi (and who isn't!) can take their favourite raspberry pi O/S and run it through berryboot on the banana pi.  Looks like a win win to me.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on using berryboot on the banana pi.  If I can find a distributor who will ship to Canada I will buy a banana pi and work with you on getting this working.

Thanks!

I mean Lemaker has make berryboot work on Banana Pi. But Lemaker didn't release the berryboot image.

According to Max suggestion, I think you can now write a image such as Lubuntu into SD card, then the SD card has the uboot that BananaPi use. And then copy the berryboot file that cubieboard used into the SD card. Maybe this method work.

But you aslo can wait some time, we will release the berryboot eventually.

I mean Lemaker has make berryboot work on Banana Pi. But Lemaker didn't release the berryboot image.

According to Max suggestion, I think you can now write a image such as Lubuntu into SD card, then the SD card has the uboot that BananaPi use. And then copy the berryboot file that cubieboard used into the SD card. Maybe this method work.

But you aslo can wait some time, we will release the berryboot eventually.

Hello Tony,

I think you are right, adding the script.bin file shouldn't be a problem.  But we'll need to recompile the U-boot SPL.  Max has provided the necessary instructions for doing that below...but we'll need to have your banan pi board added to the list.  Is that something you can have done?

U-boot SPL compilation instructions: https://github.com/linux-sunxi/u-boot-sunxi/wiki
Don't see that board in the list though. Suggest you ask the vendor to add it.

I look forward to using berryboot on the banana pi.  I've already created my own image I'm using in berryboot on the raspberry pi...I would very much like to use this same image in berryboot on the banana pi.

Thank you.

http://wiki.lemaker.org/index.php?title=Building_u-boot,_script.bin_and_linux-kernel
Here you can compile uboot for Banana Pi

Hello Tony,

Thank you for the reply.  I've navigated to the link you provided but the page is empty of instructions.  Is this being updated at a later date?

Thank you.

Post Last Edited by tony_zhang at 2014-7-9 14:51

Reply 8# greavette

Sorry, you can enter our Wiki  to search "Building u-boot, script.bin and linux-kernel" page .

Excellent.  I've searched and found this page...Once I receive my banana pi I will give this a try:

http://wiki.lemaker.org/index.php?title=Building_u-boot,_script.bin_and_linux-kernel

When do you expect to have berryboot ready for banana pi as well?

And I must confirm..using berry boot on the banana pi....will this allow me to take any image used in berry boot (for example one I made for the raspberry pi) and use this through berry boot on the banana pi?  Or does the image I use in berry boot on the banana pi still need to be modified for the banan pi?

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules