Discussion

Berryboot - does it work with Banana Pi

32 20417
Reply 10# greavette

Most os root file system can be used in Banana Pi. Only if when there is error, we will fix it.

mattrix  
I tried running the CubieBoard2 image for BerryBoot on the Banana Pi.

To my suprise, it booted up fine.

It just couldn't see any storage and couldn't detect the ethernet.

So, shouldn't require much to get working.

The kernel configure for cubieboard2 is different from the  Banana Pi

mattrix  
I might try this tonight: http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/berryboot_a10
"
if your A10 device comes with Android, simply point the Android webbrowser to: http://get.berryboot.com/

Download and install the .apk file found there
    Insert an empty SD card into your device
    In the Berryboot installer app: press the “write image” button and follow instructions.
"

I will run up the Android image and download the berry boot apk.
This then should generate me a Berry Boot image I can burn and run on the Banana Pi

Hello mattrix,

This is very encouraging.  Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  I would be curious if once you are able to get Berry Boot to run on the Pi if you could download an image from one of the available Berry Boot images and see if it runs as is.

I'm looking to get a Banana Pi sent to me as soon as I can.

Thanks.

So my Banana Pi has now arrived.  I first did some testing with Lubuntu and its looking good.  

Next I want to load up the Berryboot image on my Banana Pi.  What are the steps I need to take to do this again?  As in, once I've loaded the berryboot image onto an SD card, are there any files I need to change/replace for it to work on my Banana Pi?

Thank you.

I was just rereading this forum post I started....Tony do you have the version of Berryboot ready for release for the Banana Pi yet?  I'll do my best to run through the instructions you've provided for us but I would also be happy to test what you have as well.

Thank you.

Reply 17# greavette

Maybe I will release it out in the next two weeks

dlanor  
Today I've started to install the bananapi-bsp fork in a dev folder on my Ubuntu 14.04 system (A VMware Ubuntu system running under Win7). I started to follow the instructions on the wiki page, but soon found them flawed and had to make some variations of my own to make it work. First and foremost of those variations was to split the superlong combined install command into separate install commands for each component, since the need for user interactions in many commands caused the full chain to be aborted every time.

Another error in the instructions is that it has not been re-edited properly after switching from the "sunxi-bsp" branch to the "bananapi-bsp" fork, so that many steps instruct the user to go into non-existent paths to perform various commands.

I'm making a text file with all the commands I use, copy-pasted from that text file to a terminal window. I'm building this text file gradually as the work progresses (still ongoing), and when I have it all done I'll post that file here so others can refer to it.

At this stage the system is still working on the first 'make' command for the cloned "bananapi-bsp" folder. I'll be back here later with more info and that text file a bit later.

Best regards: dlanor

dlanor  
I have now successfully completed the 'make' for bananapi-bsp, as I mentioned having started above.
As promised, I'm now also posting the text file holding the commands I used, one by one, in order to build my cross-compile environment and build the bananapi-bsp clone project.
  1. # Note that many of the commands below require separate user confirmations
  2. # I've split them up this way because sequential commands were being aborted

3. sudo apt-get install build-essential
  4. sudo su
  5. apt-get autoremove
  6. # The above removal was to get rid of duplicates from older work

7. sudo apt-get install u-boot-tools
  8. sudo apt-get install binutils-arm-linux-gnueabihf
  9. sudo apt-get install gcc-4.7-arm-linux-gnueabihf-base
  10. sudo apt-get install g++-4.7-arm-linux-gnueabihf
  11. sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf
  12. sudo apt-get install cpp-arm-linux-gnueabihf
  13. sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0
  14. sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
  15. sudo apt-get install git
  16. sudo apt-get install wget
  17. sudo apt-get install fakeroot
  18. sudo apt-get install kernel-package
  19. sudo apt-get install zlib1g-dev
  20. sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev

21. cd WHEREVER_YOU_WANT_YOUR_GIT_CLONES

22. git clone https://github.com/LeMaker/bananapi-bsp.git

23. cd bananapi-bsp
  24. ./configure Bananapi
  25. make

26. # If you get here without errors the job is completed
  27. # End of File
Copy the Code
I've also flashed a card with the 'CubieBoard 2' BerryBoot image, and prepared to replace files in its FAT32 partition.
The "script.bin" file is no  problem, as the original image contains such a file which I simply replace with my own.
Then there was the u-boot SPL stuff, which was also stated as necessary, and which I believe I have compiled in the form of a file named "u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin", though there are a few other 'candidates' for that honor. I simply don't know how to use any of these.

So this is where I meet with a dealbreaker:
The original image contains nothing recognizable corresponding to the "u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin", which I supposedly need to add to the new image, though obviously under some other name or by other than normal means, since the existing image files have no clue that a file with that name should be invoked under any circumstances. And if I don't modify its current way of booting, the file I add will simply be ignored.

I'd appreciate any pointers for how to proceed  now. I believe I have all components, but just don't know how to combine them.

Best regards: dlanor

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules