Discussion

Berryboot - does it work with Banana Pi

32 20416
dlanor  
I've now gotten a little further, by replacing the original "kernel_a20_aufs.img" of the CubieBoard2 BerryBoot image with my own compiled "uImage" file renamed to "kernel_a20_aufs.img", in addition to replacing its original "script.bin" file with the one I compiled. With this card I can boot into the BerryBoot menu with both USB keyboard and mouse working fine as well as the Ethernet port. But there is no response at all to connected USB storage drives (which work fine with RaspberryPi BerryBoot). Thus I was unable to use USB drives for installing OS to, and also unable to test any of the old images I have on USB sticks (for local installation to RaspberryPi BerryBoot, which works fine).

I was able to install some OS from the Internet site to the SDHC card, but trying to boot any of those OS always results in 'kernel panic' and system lockup.

Since I'm pretty much a noob at preparing this kind of boot setups, I'm not at all sure how to proceed, so I would appreciate any pointers on this topic from you guys.

Best regards: dlanor

http://forum.lemaker.org/viewthr ... &highlight=aufs   Here you can find how to patch aufs. We use this method to make berryboot work.

Reply 21# dlanor

I have tried download OS from internet using berryboot.

dlanor  
Here you can find how to patch aufs. We use this method to make berryboot work.
tony_zhang Posted at 2014-8-10 01:48

Thanks for the tip! I've bookmarked that page for future references, as I'm not in fit shape to deal with it right away, having spent most of the last 24 hours on various experiments with the Banana Pi.

I did find out what to do with the bootloader files I compiled earlier, and have inserted the "sunxi-spl.bin" and "u-boot.img" files into a copy of the cubieboard2 berryboot image, at offsets 0x2000 and 0xA000 respectively, as specified in sunxi documents. This did affect the boot procedure visibly (faster and with different LED effects), but I was still never able to make berryboot access USB drives, which is crucial. It is only through USB drives that we can access customized OS images to install, since all the ones on the online site must be assumed incompatible. And for optimum use of berryboot it would also be best to install the OS images to a USB drive, so as not to be limited by the SD card sizes.

After spending half the night on various berryboot experiments I started using its console mode to check the realtime contents of the filesystem, and compared those findings with some of the berryboot source code, at which point I realized that the way berryboot looks for USB devices doesn't match how the kernel I compiled works. It does detect the USB drives, but doesn't register them as /sys/class/block devices, which is the only thing berryboot checks for in searching for USB drives. So that is the point where I gave up (for now).

Hopefully the link you provided will inform me on how to make a home-compiled kernel work like berryboot expects it to do, so that I can make berryboot access USB drives (just like it always could on Raspberry Pi).

Would you be so kind as to share your image berryboot for banana pi?

dlanor  
Reply 25# 12abril1981

I'm not sure if you were talking to me or Tony, but I will certainly share my results as soon as they become functional.

In my early experiments every attempt to launch an installed OS gave 'kernel panic' and frozen system. But now I have completed the 'aufs' patching and am running a new full 'make' for both the kernel and the bootloader components.

If all goes well I should be able to prepare a berryboot image that has a better chance of working sometime this evening.
(It's now 18:37 here in Sweden)

dlanor  
I've now made some tests with my latest berryboot image, this time merged with bootloader and kernel image compiled with 'aufs' support, and it still crashes exactly the same way when attempting to boot one of the installed OS. This is not due to any problem with those OS (though some such problems are sure to exist too), but the error messages make it very clear that the uafs device is not working for mounting the images. Berryboot doesn't even see that device as existing, according to the messages.

I've been working almost constantly for close to 36 hours now so I'm going to break off for tonight, and hope for better luck tomorrow.

Rest and encouragement, are doing a great job everyone, hopefully I could work a little more with you.

mattrix  
How did you get on with this?

I think getting NOOBS working would be better.

I like NOOBS as we could easily make our own images for it and I think berryboot uses the same kernel for every image, where NOOBS truly boots the image (kernel and all).
I found this when trying to use OpenELEC on Berryboot - it couldn't self update.

mattrix  
Just found this that may help with your Berryboot

https://github.com/maxnet/berryboot

Notice "rebuild-berryboot-a20.sh"

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules