Lubuntu

Lubuntu Software Center on Default Image

0 1577
Edited by ericwilk at Tue Jan 13, 2015 23:06

Hi there,

I'm not sure if I'm comparing apples and oranges as I'm using dd to create the images on the SD card, but when I do that it already has a partition table with a small bootstrap partition and the root filesystem as /dev/sd2 (or whatever device it shows). I can add another partition but when I tried to install a bunch of stuff it ran out of space (since it used partition 2 by default) and the desktop manager wouldn't start; the login is there but once you log in gets stuck at the default backdrop and doesn’t make it to the desktop manager. I didn't see any errors in any of the logs I checked (as root via tty3) but I think it's safe to assume that's because it was out of space.

So, I used dd on another box to create an image dump of that partition, repartitioned the SD by deleting the two and creating one ~8GB partition and running `mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdb` and then restoring the image from the dump file using dd again, since the partition is about half the size at this point .  Now it's saying I need to fix dpkg which makes sense, soi it's in the process of doing that (there were quite a few programs so it might take a while). I'm pretty sure that should work, if not I'll just re-image.

I don't believe you can expand a partition without something like xfs, unless I am missing something. I could very well be wrong or not following best practices but I think it said to use dd that way in the setup guide for *nix, and I only have *nix boxes. Is it supposed to load with a partition you can't expand and presumably map everything to that device by default? If so, it may be confusing to some and hard to configure things to use the rest of an SD card (in my case I'm using a cheap 8GB one, but imagine if it were 64 -- that's a lot of space).

I'm not complaining; I know all this stuff is new (it works very well for me so far and I have encountered less errors than on many "popular" distros out of the box, with drivers, etc) but I thought I should point this out as a possible enhancement (also, the package manager should probably check disk space and account for any temp storage before writing.)

I think you can actually mount two devices to the same mountpoint (at least, you used to be able to) but that can lead to some very undesirable behaviour.

Actually, my only other complaint is the flimsy ribbon cable for the LVDS but that's pretty standard these days, I think. It just seems like I'm waiting for it to break...
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules