Bananian

KVM on Bananian

6 3075
n_i_n_u  
Edited by n_i_n_u at Sun Feb 1, 2015 13:47

Hi,

I'm following this guide http://wiki.lemaker.org/Building ... in_and_linux-kernel to try to compile a 3.14 kernel in order to be able to use kvm with my BPi.
Did someone already try this?

Do you have any experience or advise on how to achieve this result?

Regards
I checked the installation on Ubuntu here and find out that banana pi does not support hardware virtualization, so I think there's no way...
Someone has tried?

emm ... but this CPU support virutalization in hardware (i think?)

jekader  
Edited by jekader at Fri Mar 20, 2015 04:21

From what I can tell, KVM needs Cortex-A15 processors while the A20 CPU is a licensed Cortex-A7.

tkaiser  
jekader replied at Fri Mar 20, 2015 04:19
From what I can tell, KVM needs Cortex-A15 processors while the A20 CPU is a licensed Cortex-A7.

Fortunately wrong. Both A15 and A7 do support this. If you do a simple web search for 'allwinner a20 kvm' you find tutorials. I would start with mainline kernel and Igor's Debian image build script since all you need is an Ubuntu install on x86 and you can start to cross-compile not just a kernel with your preferred settings but will also end up with the creation of a whole linux distro image ready to burn on SD card.

jekader  
@tkaiser that's good news indeed! So it's down to enabling KVM in the kernel config.

Virtualization is not why I bought an BPI-R1 but having ability to run virtual routers sounds cool!

tkaiser replied at Mar 20, 2015 05:08
Fortunately wrong. Both A15 and A7 do support this. If you do a simple web search for 'allwinner a ...

Hi~
I have a weird thought. I wounder the openwrt banana pi m1 build with kvm. However, currently, I didn't get the kvm inside of the repository. Sorry for that, I refer this article which is made by Chinese language. There is a file pack. This is my first to make a compliering on linux OS-this OpenWrt. I found there are lots of tools and protocol, kernel, utility and etc...
http://richardhmm.github.io/blog ... penwrt-compile.html

I found there are not any kvm inside of the pack. I originally thought to combine kvm with LuCI. Is this possible to make it? My thought is to run VM on the background and to set LuCI on the front area. I consider to set a customized kernel building, "make menuconfig". But, I am definitely not good at this. Would you like to share some tutorial or experience? Thanks.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules