Discussion

Easiest way to compile 3.17/3.19 kernel

87 16498
It seems to work, however the sound does not seem to work.  aplay -l says there are no sound cards. Igor, have you comfirmed audio works in this build script?
I am running the 3.19.5 kernel and it seems to work well.  I can even run the audio routing without a glitch, something I thought I would need the RT kernel for.
If I can get the sound working, I may not need to do the RT kernel.  Awsome.

There is no audio driver in the mainline kernel yet. And it will probably still take months for that to happen, because it requires a DMA driver which is in the works and seems quite progressed but not included in the mainline kernel yet (and won't be before version 4.2 or later).

How about usb audio?  I plugged in a usb mic/headphone device and during bootup the device shows up but after boot  aplay -l says no sound cards found.  Are there no audio drivers at all?
Isn't there a driver in the lemaker distribution?  Is it possible to use that one or is a completely different one required?

Edited by silentcreek at Wed May 6, 2015 13:47

USB audio should work. But you have to make sure the required drivers are enabled in the Kernel configuration. While Igor's configuration brings support for a lot of devices, it seems that several USB audio related option are not enabled like CONFIG_SND_USB_AUDIO. You would have to see what your specific audio dongle requires, enable that and manually and recompile the kernel. Or you just set all USB audio related options to "m" so that they are compiled as modules and loaded if necessary.

Thanks.  I built this kernel so if I set the right options and build again.  I'll give it a try.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to set this.  It needs to get set in the .config file(not supposed to edit it directly) but I cannot seem to get it set from the kernel config menu.  Where should I change this?

Every option should be accessible in menuconfig. You can use the search function by pressing / and then enter the name of config symbol you want to find, e.g. CONFIG_SND_USB_AUDIO

Thanks, I did not realize there was a search built in.

I am having trouble with the build now.   I need some clarification on how the script should work.  If I configure the kernel I need to start from scratch every time because the common.h script writes a known good .config over the last one.  I need to comment out the copy (just before the config-menu) then it starts with the config as it was after the last build.

I also found that I was errorring with a message saying dtc too old, update to 1.4 or newer.  I did an apt-get device-tree-compiler to resolve this(I think it resolved it)

I am also having trouble with the system crashing near the end of the build.  I assume creating the .zip file.  After reboot there is no .zip file.  This if frustrating becuase this can be hours of build only to loose all. (3 times now).

Igor.
I ran a build and the system crashed as descriped in the last post.  I modified the common.sh to remove the copy so i uses the same .config file.  I got the following errors but it finished ok.  Are these 4 error expected or do I need to address them?
-----error 1----------
./usr/include/linux/kexec.h:61: userspace cannot reference function or variable defined in the kernel
-----error 2--------------------
Setting up linux-image-3.19.5mbw1-bananapi (2.7) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.19.5mbw1-bananapi
/bin/df: Warning: cannot read table of mounted file systems: No such file or directory
---error 3----------------------
/home/mark/lib-next/lib/boards.sh: line 345: cd: /home/mark/lib-next/output/output/sdcard/usr/src/linux-headers-3.19.5-bananapi: No such file or directory
patching file tools/include/tools/be_byteshift.h
patching file tools/include/tools/le_byteshift.h
/bin/bash: line 0: cd: /usr/src/linux-headers-3.19.5-bananapi: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `headers_install'.  Stop.
make: *** No rule to make target `scripts'.  Stop.
------------error 4-------------------------------------
------ Install board specific applications
cp: cannot stat ‘/home/mark/lib-next/output/sunxi-tools/fex2bin’: No such file r directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/home/mark/lib-next/output/sunxi-tools/bin2fex’: No such file r directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/home/mark/lib-next/output/sunxi-tools/nand-part’: No such fil or directory
E: /home/mark/lib-next/lib/config/cubieboard4.fex:452: invalid character at 23.

It terminated correctly without crashing:
Removing linux-u-boot-3.19.5-bananapi (2.7) ...
  adding: Bananapi_Ubuntu_2.7_trusty_3.19.5.raw (deflated 76%)
  adding: readme.txt (deflated 62%)
  adding: imagewriter.exe (deflated 36%)
Runtime 15 min.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules