Discussion

Easiest way to compile 3.17/3.19 kernel

87 16684
destroyedlolo replied at Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:42
Cool, thanks for the tips.

And any blob to load or the bundle from kernel.org is enough ? i.e GMA ...

I am running my Banana Pro headless. I can confirm that HDMI output (console) is working. I do not have a X window system installed nor any LCD attached.

Mr_Blonde replied at Thu Feb 19, 2015 03:55
I got the most recent one from kernel.org and compiled it.

Are you using the uImage or zImage? Thanks for the instructions btw!
(even though it didn't boot anymore..);p

3.19 kernel from mainline kernel.org seems to work.
But we tested only SATA and GHZ-Lan, no extension cards added.

jorricks replied at Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:37
Are you using the uImage or zImage? Thanks for the instructions btw!
(even though it didn't boot a ...

I am using the zImage.

Mr_Blonde replied at Thu Feb 26, 2015 03:35
I am using the zImage.

Haha the uImage didn't boot so I already figured that out ;p
Thanks for the instructions though!!
Note: just using make zImage would have been easier ;p

Menion  
Hi
I'm interested in experimenting mainline kernel&uboot, but I have a question
From the changelog I understand that DMA engine for Allwinner A20 is not in the mainline yet, but a work in progress patch (so far V4) exist.
Has anyone tried to use it an add a dts binding for at least EMAC (and maybe USB)?
It should give a good boost to the performances, since I understand that neither in the sunxi kernel 3.4.x DMA is working.
Bye

hawhill  
I wouldn't be so sure about performance improvement. Setting up DMA transfers and managing them for small sizes of data is quite cumbersome, synchronization is costly. Properly scheduled polling, perusing CPU caching as good as it can, is not that bad. That said - I didn't try it. Last time I had a look, though, it seemed to me that drivers would also need adaptions to make use of it.

Maybe you guys can help me.  I need to get a low latency kernal for the banana pro for audio but I am struggling.  (a newbee at this).  It looks like we have a mixture of information on compiling native and cross compiling.  Not clear to me if I need a RT patch for a low latency kernel (on an x86 system I'm using ubnutustudio  "Linux mark-ubuntu 3.16.0-34-lowlatency #47~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Fri Apr 10 18:18:14 UTC 2015 i686 athlon i686 GNU/Linux")  This works great for me.  If I need RT the latest patch is 3.18, but the latest kernel 3.x release is 3.19.  3.18 is available so should I use that?

The biggest confusion I have is how to build the kernel source for the banana and then install it onto the banana.  Can I build just the kernel and copy it to the sd card(already setup with the current Lubuntu release 3.4.103(I think).

Thanks for any help.  Mark

markwinger replied at Thu Apr 30, 2015 07:32
Maybe you guys can help me.  I need to get a low latency kernal for the banana pro for audio but I a ...

I downloaded 3.18.11 to my linux x86.
Applied the patch 3.18.11-rt7.  So I should have the source patched, ready to build an rt kernel.

So now how I configure and build this work on a banana pro?

Mark.

I am trying to get through this.  I did the make sun7i-a20-bananapro.dts but had to add ARCH=arm.

When I try compiling the kernel I get an error like this:

arch/arm/kernel/asm-offsets.c:53:2: error: #error Your compiler is too buggy; it is known to miscompile kernels

I found some references say Looks like >= 4.8.0 and < 4.8.3 is considered buggy by kernel. But my gcc is:
gcc (Ubuntu 4.9.2-0ubuntu1~14.04) 4.9.2

Any ideas?

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules