Discussion

Best OS for NAS, Downloader, Media Server, VDR

11 6633
ret-law  
Hallo,

I am getting my first SBC in the next days.

Using an old laptop with Linux the first time convinced me to go the next step.

I want to install a 24/7 system for

1) Media Server (got used to MiniDLNA) without transcoding (my Pana VT50 is really good at working with almost all media types)
2) Download base - preferably with JDownloader 2, probably I need Java, a browser and an unrar / zip utility as well
3) VNC server to control the device
4) (optional) I would like to use a DVB USB Card as well as VDR

Getting the best speed with a SATA HDD I decided not to wait for the M2 but choose the BPI M1.

So, what is the best / fastest OS for me?
Currently I am indecisive between Lubuntu and Fedora / Debian.

I hope someone can help me so I do not to have to try everything alone and learn the hard way as a newbie

Kind regards,

Mario
levideo  
Open MediaVault ???

levideo replied at Mon Mar 23, 2015 00:27
Open MediaVault ???

how 2 install xbmc on OMV?

hawhill  
I don't think OMV is targeted at running XBMC.

cyryllo  

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Sat Apr 4, 2015 04:34
cyryllo replied at Fri Apr 3, 2015 09:56
BanaNAS  http://bananas.gda.pl

If one compares what users of OMV get as benchmark results and what others get with "plain Bananian" without any tuning and what's possible if one configures network and tunables approrpiate then it seems like OMV's configuration on slow ARM boards is horribly wrong? It seems that with OMV's network/Samba settings you get just half the throughput possible on identical hardware...

Your own benchmark result (16.7/32.8 MB/s), then bpiuser's with OMV and RAID-1 (17.1/23.9 MB/s), then Suman's results with default Bananian settings (28/36.2 MB/s) and what's possible with mainline kernel and optimised settings (32.3/70.8 MB/s):

cyryllo  
tkaiser replied at Sat Apr 4, 2015 04:33
If one compares what users of OMV get as benchmark results and what others get with "plain Banania ...

thx.
In free time I will try to test the new kernel. Where can I find info that was what set the maximum acceleration?

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Sun Apr 5, 2015 10:51
cyryllo replied at Sun Apr 5, 2015 09:03
Where can I find info that was what set the maximum acceleration?

Maybe it's a combination of Raspbian being ARMv6 (and the A20 capable of ARMv7 instruction set), inappropriate Samba and general Ethernet settings and some CPU governor stuff? Never used Raspbian with Banana Pi (because there's absolutely no need use a Debian style distro with crippled instruction set on a device that's supported by Debian itself ) so I've absolutely no idea.

I would start to look into the cpufreq stuff (which governor and which settings?) and then search for network and Samba settings (there are some threads in the network/server subforum that should cover everything).

I would go Bananian but you would have to install desktop, omv, vnc and i dont know if you can make the drivers work on arm with your dvr usb. There are guides on this forum for desktop, omv and vnc. Otherwise you can use the guides for the rPi if need be - they are very similar.

It takes time but Bananian is really lightweight and is a good "copy" of Raspbian just for the Banana Pi.

If you dont want to or just want it relatively Plug and Play then go banaNAS

tkaiser replied at Sun Apr 5, 2015 10:51
Maybe it's a combination of Raspbian being ARMv6 (and the A20 capable of ARMv7 instruction set), i ...

I think you are correct tkaiser - maybe with the tweaks you posted somewhere in the forum would help speed it up.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules