Android 4.2 Mattrix XBMC Image - (UPDATED 2014.11.11)

181 67891
Hi! Does this use hardware GPU? Thanks!

dlanor  
Post Last Edited by dlanor at 2014-8-11 09:51

@mattrix, re the image from HWL_Stouf:
Even so, that non-Phoenix image may still prove useful, when used together with additional tools.

For the Raspberry Pi I have often used images that lacked ability to expand themselves to fill out the card used (though some have that ability). And for those cases I've used a partitioning tool to expand the main partition myself. This naturally demands that the tool in question is capable of handling the partition type used, which rules out the native disk partitioning tool of a Windows system.

Fortunately there are freeware alternatives with greater capabilities, and one of those is the freeware edition of the "Paragon Partition Manager", which is what I've used for those cases.

What I will do now is first to simply flash that image to a card using "Win32 Disk Imager", and then I'll use "Paragon Partition Manager" to extend the main partition to fill out the card. Next I'll test the card in my BPi, after which I'll report my results here.

Best regards: dlanor

dlanor  
Hi! Does this use hardware GPU? Thanks!
paracelus Posted at 2014-8-11 02:35

That is individual per app. There's no way for any Android system to force all apps to use hardware acceleration.
I'm not sure if the XBMC app included in this image does have hardware acceleration, but I do know that some players do have it.

I recommend installing the MX Player app, which has installable CODEC pack apps for lots of different ARM CPU types.
The correct one to use in a BananaPi is the "ARMv7 (NEON)" which works fine for me.
MX Player can be used as external player for many programs, and can be used by XBMC too.
(That last requires some script installation.)

dlanor  
Post Last Edited by dlanor at 2014-8-12 00:29

I've now tested the non-phoenix image from HWL_Stouf, or tried to rather, since it never booted properly.
The only sign of life was the display of a red-frame rectangle in the middle of the screen with a height approximately similar to the height of the 'android' text displayed during bootup of the original android image. I have a hunch this red rectangle is a remnant of functionality of the code intended to display that string. And like I said, that was the only sign of life I saw on the screen when testing that image. So it must be considered broken...

I never got around to trying to modify any partition, as the partition scheme didn't make sense to the manager. That was also the case with the other Android images flashed with Phoenix card, but they were different from this one (more and different odd partitions).

dlanor  
Post Last Edited by dlanor at 2014-8-12 00:40

@mattrix:
Did you notice the new Android 4.2.2 image that appeared in the download page at "bananapi.com" a few days ago. I haven't tested it yet, but it might be a good idea for you to try your patching skills on that one instead of the of 4.2.0.

If you do, or if you decide to patch the image here a bit further, may I suggest that you add a file manager with ability to browse LAN and usbhost, so as to sideload apps without having to go through Google Play. ES File Manager would be ideal, and is freeware so there should be no issues having it.

Another thing to consider is to add some app with ability to shutdown, so we don't have to pull the plug to do that. (Unsafe for both SD card and USB sticks.) I use the 'Quick Boot (Reboot)' app for this, and as I recall that one too is freeware.

dlanor  
@mattrix:
I've now tested the image mentioned in my previous post, and I doubt it's worth working on. It seems extremely similar to the original Android 4.2.0 image on this site, except that they've added a "vold.fstab" patch similar to the one I made earlier. It might even be based on mine, not that it matters (it was intended for sharing with everyone anyway)

In any case, what you've already done here with your images is so much better than theirs that there would be no sense in switching. But I do think you should add a file manager, like I said in the previous post, so that people can sideload stuff to your image without first having to register a google account on the device.

Fun fact: if you register a new google account from android, they'll ask you for an existing email, but they don't send any confirmation mail. So just fake an email and name and you are done in under a minute.

Post Last Edited by thatsbanana at 2014-8-12 16:12

Did some video testing with this android 4.2:

Use android browser and download small free testvideo here (720 and 1080 mov h264):
http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/trailer-page/

in MXplayer:
- 1080 and 720 work flawlessly with HW decoder on
- 720 works somewhat with software decoder, 1080 chucks a lot

in xbmc (only software decoder available):
- always chucking, even 720

in vlc (only software decoder available):
- 720 plays well, rare microstutter
- 1080 image freeze

dlanor  
I agree that MX Player is the best player around, since it has good HW CODEC packs for most ARM variants. (for BPi I use the "ARMv7 (NEON)" pack). But it's not so good when it comes to the GUI implementation, which makes it most useful as external player for media player apps with better GUIs.

I use it both with the 3rd-party Plex client app "Serenity" and with XBMC. This way you can get the XBMC GUI but the MX Player capability for good playback.

If you never tried it you should check out the discussions elsewhere in the forum on how to use a playercorefactory.xml script to make XBMC call external players. The examples given can easily be edited to make XBMC call MX Player for all media files, and not just the ones used in those examples.

And when you combine that with the PlexBMC addon and the Amber skin you get yet another full-fledged Plex client, with great playback ability.

Post Last Edited by mattrix at 2014-7-18 04:51

Download HERE

Dear Mattrix,

The download link can't download.

Best Regards,

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules