Android 4.2 Mattrix XBMC Image - (UPDATED 2014.11.11)

178 71299
Post Last Edited by roses2at at 2014-9-16 05:25
About that Android 4.4 image available on another website:

In all my tests with that image I have failed......
dlanor Posted at 2014-9-5 08:10

@dlanor
Could you perhaps please write something in the Wiki at http://wiki.lemaker.org/Android about how you are set up do your tests with this 4.4 image?

I'm really confused about the two power supplies thing - is it really necessary to have two 5V/2A PSUs plugged, one via DC In and the other via OTG? Cos I'm sure that I read somewhere else, maybe in this forum, maybe another, that it's a definite no-no to feed ANY kind of power in through OTG.

If that is so that you do need two PSUs, is that only for the first boot while it sorts itself out, or for every subsequent boot as well, or all the time while it's running? Or after it reaches the the main screen can you disconnect the OTG power?

How stable is it? What is working and what is not working? What specifically causes it to crash? What about WiFi dongles or is only Ethernet cable viable?

Any other things to beware of or consider? Thx

ChrisP  
Post Last Edited by ChrisP at 2014-9-16 08:30

Mmmh, I had no need of 2 PSU 5V/2A on my test on 4.4 beta 1, one was just fine on the regular power supply micro-USB.
But I had stability issues (during video playback, I had several times weird scratch sounds, followed by soft reset of Android (spontaneaous reboot).

asif  
Hi matrix. i downloaded your image but i found mobile network option inaccessible. i need to use 3g usb so i would really appreciate if u tell me how to enable mobile networks option

mattrix  
Please try original image:
http://forum.lemaker.org/480-1-1 ... _v2_0_released.html

If it is not there, then I can't help

Kuroi  
Reply 70# deathrattle

Tried that today, sadly it didn't work. My father found somewhere that it needs at least 8gb while he tried getting his to run, if thats the case then it will be no android for me. I will try again in a few days with a 4gb card hoping I'm lucky.

Thanks for trying to help.

Well, thanks for sharing. Pretty Cool.

Meanwhile, just happen to know a wonderful activity for Renice portable native USB 3.0 SSD. Maybe useful to you as well.

they are giving away 64GB SD card and 256GB SSD drives to celebrate National Day of the PRC, see the link http://goo.gl/o9we1A

dlanor  
Post Last Edited by dlanor at 2014-9-18 17:06
Post Last Edited by roses2at at 2014-9-16 05:25

@dlanor
Could you perhaps please write something in the Wiki at http://wiki.lemaker.org/Android about how you are set up do your tests with this 4.4 image?
roses2at Posted at 2014-9-16 05:03

I think that as someone who has given up on using that Android release I'm the wrong person to document its use.

I tested it in much the same way as I've tested the other releases, except for the notably larger power requirement during bootup. But once I realized that this system is not 'rooted' I lost interest in it, and have not bothered with it since then. (Nor will I...)

I'm really confused about the two power supplies thing - is it really necessary to have two 5V/2A PSUs plugged, one via DC In and the other via OTG?

No, I don't think so. But it is necessary to supply a higher current than is usually required with other BPi system images. I haven't investigated this in detail, but I believe that this system image starts up with a wasteful CPU 'governor', running everything at max speed regardless of the needs. And that kind of operation demands significantly higher PSU current than usual.

Cos I'm sure that I read somewhere else, maybe in this forum, maybe another, that it's a definite no-no to feed ANY kind of power in through OTG.

That obviously varies with different hardware designs. Connecting two independent PSU units to the same load is always a risky business in any case, since it can cause one of the PSU's to 'actively' overload the other, as both try to regulate the same voltage point to slightly different voltage values.

If that is so that you do need two PSUs, is that only for the first boot while it sorts itself out, or for every subsequent boot as well, or all the time while it's running?

I believe the higher current is mainly needed at every boot, since they probably use a turbo mode during bootup.

Or after it reaches the the main screen can you disconnect the OTG power?

That could work, depending on the current rating of the remaining supply.
But disconnecting a PSU during operation means risking a voltage glitch that may crash the CPU.

How stable is it? What is working and what is not working? What specifically causes it to crash? What about WiFi dongles or is only Ethernet cable viable?

These are questions better answered by someone who finds that Android 4.4 release useful, which I do not (since it's not rooted).

And it really would be better to discuss that version in some other thread(s) than this one.

I suggest that for this thread we try to stick to the Android 4.2 version mentioned in the thread title.

Best regards: dlanor

Reply 77# dlanor

Thanks for your answer.

Kuroi  
So, after getting a few bigger sd-cards I got the image working but I got another problem. Whenever I try to play a video using XBMC, it just doesn't do anything, therefore I set the player to MX Player. What happens now is that I can play .mkvs with software acceleration, hardware just won't work at all therefore the video is not fluent. All other formats take long to load, if they load at all, some load indefinitly, and then start to play but without picture and sound. I tried switching between software and hardware acceleration but then it just stops completely. Since I read from others that it works with MX Player and hardware acceleration, does someone know what I did wrong or missed? The only change I made on the image was the resolution, but it doesn't work without making any change on the image, therefore that doesn't seem to be it.

As far as I know, the android images use hw-acceleration out of the box. So there is no need to switch to any other player.
This is different for "linux images"... as there is still an issue with the graphics driver on hardware accelleration. A "work-around" is to use e.g. mxplayer.

If anyone has better knowledge about it - please correct me.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules