Discussion

SATA SSD Where?

9 9198
Biggy  
Hi everyone,

I just got my banana from china (to germany ) and so far the performance is better as the raspberry.
My usage will be a 24/7 webserver with wordpress and some stuff around like OpenVPN + Owncloud/seafile (with better performance maybe Owncloud now).
I have 16GB SDcard but want a bigger cloud. So I have a 60GB SSD. When I plugin the SSD this are my results so far:
  1. root@bananaserver:~# fdisk -l

2. Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 15.9 GB, 15931539456 bytes
  3. 4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 486192 cylinders, total 31116288 sectors
  4. Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
  5. Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
  6. I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
  7. Disk identifier: 0x000b5098

8.         Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
  9. /dev/mmcblk0p1            8192      122879       57344    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
  10. /dev/mmcblk0p2          122880    31116287    15496704   83  Linux
Copy the Code
  1. root@bananaserver:~# df -h
  2. Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
  3. rootfs           15G  2.7G   12G  20% /
  4. /dev/root        15G  2.7G   12G  20% /
  5. devtmpfs        437M     0  437M   0% /dev
  6. tmpfs            88M  228K   88M   1% /run
  7. tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
  8. tmpfs           175M     0  175M   0% /run/shm
  9. /dev/mmcblk0p1   56M   15M   42M  26% /boot
Copy the Code
The cable I'm using is this one

Any ideas how to get it working?
Sander  
Assuming that there is no filesystem/partion on your SSD already, you first need to create a new partition on your SSD.
You can probably also use gparted for that, or via commandline:

sudo fdisk /dev/sda
Press 'n' to create a new partition, and press 'p' for primary partition. When asked for the partion number, enter 1.
At the end, press 'w' to write the changes to the disk.
You will now have a disk with 1 partition, /dev/sda1. This partition doesn't have a filesystem yet, so you can't mount it yet.

Create a filesystem on /dev/sda1, for example EXT4:
sudo  mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1

Now you need to create a new directory where you want to mount your disk.
sudo mkdir /mnt/ssd

You have now created a new folder, but this folder won't be a folder for long We can now mount the physical disk to this folder:

sudo mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt/ssd/

You can also mount it at boot. Use nano or vi or w/e editor you want to edit the file: /etc/fstab. You need to add the following line to /etc/fstab

/dev/sda1 /mnt/ssd ext4 defaults 0 0

And enjoy your HDD/SSD.

Biggy  
Hey Sander,

thank you very much! Sounds good and yes, I guess I must create a new partion on the SSD.
Unfortunately your first step give me:

1. root@bananaserver:~# fdisk /dev/sda
  2. fdisk: unable to open /dev/sda: No such file or directory
Copy the Code
Any ideas?

Biggy  
Oh, wait. It's just not activated properly, I guess. I check Power supply / cable when I'm at home. Thanks so far.

Biggy  
Hey Sander,

your quick tutorial was great! I had the wrong cable
Now I'm ready to go!

Zerq  
Question to anyone who might know...
does it only support hard drives or would it say be possible to hook up a blu-ray drive?

Hi Biggy,

I got my Banana PI yesterday and am already curious to try it out. I'm wondering on how to connect a SATA drive. The cable you showed above is for SATA data, right? Where and how can the SATA drive get power from? How did you connect that (and what cable did you use)?

I read that the Banana PI can provide enough power for a SATA drive, however, I don't know how to connect the drive and didn't find useful information on that topic so far.

Thanks and have a good day,
sky

diwi  
If you have 2,5" SATA drive you must use this cable:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/S ... ard/1909503516.html

If you have 3,5" drive you must use an external power supply

Hi diwi,

Oh thanks - so the white connector on the Banana PI board provides power for the SATA drive. I have quite some old SATA cables and will try to make a connection... should not be too difficult (just +5V and GND).

Thank you,
sky

Hello friend. I just got a industrial grade SSD card from RENICE. The performance is amazing.                       
And they're now presenting some free CF, SD cards and SSD to Twitter followers http://goo.gl/o9we1A                       

Besides, using following  Promotion Code on their B2C web: www.b2cit.com and you will get 5 usd refund. Thanks.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules