Trouble

B-Pi-R1 with sata disk battery powered

9 6238
multi  
Trying somebody B-Pi-R1  battery powered with sata disk?

After fix fex file SATA disk work wiith AC.
Without AC, 5V pin is also under volted.
I think it is need another correction of fex file....?
hawhill  
Not likely. Given the amount of power a disk needs on the 5V rail, I don't think any build-in DC/DC converter could deliver that.

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Thu Apr 16, 2015 07:24
hawhill replied at Thu Apr 16, 2015 06:37
I don't think any build-in DC/DC converter could deliver that

The SATA power connector is directly connected to pwr-in (which is why you could also power Banana Pi/Pro/BPi-R1 with 5V on the SATA power connector). So if DC on the pwr-in connector is missing (because of the BP-R1 being powered by a LiPo-battery attached to the AXP209 power management unit which includes a step-up-converter for this purpose) a connected SATA disk will also not be powered at all.

If you connect an USB equipped powerbank to the pwr-in Micro-USB-connector it might work if the external battery is capable of providing peak current of approx. 1.3-1.5A at disk spin-up.

multi  
tkaiser replied at Thu Apr 16, 2015 14:20
The SATA power connector is directly connected to pwr-in (which is why you could also power Banana ...

...but i would like use functionality in AXP209....
Now I am use standard PC UPS.

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Sat May 2, 2015 04:52
multi replied at Sat May 2, 2015 03:54
...but i would like use functionality in AXP209....

Why don't you give it a try? Since AXP209 is providing LiPo battery handling and a step-up-converter to provide power to the system and USB ports maybe you've luck using a USB-5V-to-SATA-power-cable like demonstrated here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUhLjN_JpXA

But I would be careful since 2.5" HDDs need a peak current of up to 1A during spin-up. Maybe you need to add a capacitor or something that can prevent overloading the AXP209 PMU during system start. Or it's possible to feed SATA power both from USB and from the PSU in parallel (no idea at all -- I'm an electronics NOOB)

Would be great if you report back how things evolved.

multi  
Edited by multi at Sun May 3, 2015 08:52
tkaiser replied at Sat May 2, 2015 11:52
Why don't you give it a try? Since AXP209 is providing LiPo battery handling and a step-up-convert ...

Because:
I would like use AXP209 functionality - If I make program it would work as UPS.
I have  Li-pol batteries example 6000 and 12000 mAh.
It would be more power saving than UPS and smaller.

A made same test with battery. Without SATA disk PC working OK.
Power peak is not problem (when power on) . I tried remove AC when PC is running
I measured the voltage on 5V pin. After remove AC is under volted before is OK.

tkteun  
tkaiser replied at Sat May 2, 2015 04:52
Why don't you give it a try? Since AXP209 is providing LiPo battery handling and a step-up-convert ...

I've checked:
http://linux-sunxi.org/AXP209
http://www.x-powers.com/product/AXP20X_en.php
http://www.x-powers.com/download/AXP202%20Datasheet%20v1.0_cn.pdf

But I can find no evidence that there's a step-up or boost converter, the only things I saw were buck (step-down) and LDO (low drop-out) converters. This would mean that the output voltage can never exceed the battery voltage of 3.7~4.25V, which cannot run a HDD.

Can you confirm that the USB ports are in fact supplying 5 V (instead of 3.3~4 V) when running on battery power?
If not, can you please also confirm that the (USB powered?) WiFi remains operational (and stable) when on battery power?

I guess we'd be better of using an external USB back-up battery or accept that the HDD will go offline in a power cut.

Add post (Sun May 24, 2015 12:14):
Looking at the BPi-M1 schematics, I see there's an external 2A boost converter (SY7152) for powering the USB/HDMI ports. The S-ATA port is powered directly from ACIN bypassing the AXP completely.

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Wed May 27, 2015 04:38
tkteun replied at Sat May 23, 2015 05:57
Looking at the BPi-M1 schematics, I see there's an external 2A boost converter (SY7152) for powering the USB/HDMI ports. The S-ATA port is powered directly from ACIN bypassing the AXP completely

But aren't we speaking of the Lamobo R1 instead where the SATA disk seems to be powered through AXP209? Please have a look at this forum post in the otherwise totally useless SinoVoip forum.

I too confused that before and answered for BPi (M1) instead of Lamobo R1.

art103  
I have just converted my Banana Pi to a battery backed up one. I am using a SATA HDD, so this thread came up in my searching.
It went more smoothly than I could have hoped!

I used a 3500mAh Li-Ion cell from an old tablet and soldered it to the battery pads on the PCB.
Pressing the reset button powers up the board and 5.25V is present on the USB host ports. Nothing is present on the SATA power connector (as expected).
I used the DC-DC USB 5V to power a 128GB SSD (marked 5V, 1.5A).
The system has been stable for 24 hours. Charging current (and other parameters) are all controllable via /sys/class/power_supply/battery/*

A much more efficient alternative to an UPS!

The SSD will consume less than 5 Watt. How to solve the SATA problem with an 2,5' disk? I would like to shutdown clean. Maybe USB powerbank between SATA power connector and disk?

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules