NAS

Nas with raid card spm393

15 4344
Maor  
Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum.
I am building a NAS with BPi. I have the SPM393 card from datoptic and 4x 2TB WD RE4 in a hotswap case. I plan to use some 1U powersupply from my local ebay-like web.
I will be making a case using 3D printer, so the project will look awesome.

I have questions on experienced guys here:
What microSD adapter are you using for BPi? the half sised for RPi is too thick and thin cost 4USD, which is quite expensive for a piece of plastic

How do I monitor the raid from the OS?
If you go to datoptic web, there is ARM daemon tool CLI, but I have no idea how to run that program. It consists of 2x *.dat files and one *.c file.
I guess I should compile that, but I have never done that and there is no documentation for the program.
Edited by mikronauts at Sun Apr 26, 2015 14:02

Hi,

1) I don't know if that port multiplier is supported by the BPi

2) You do realize the SATA speed limits of the BPi (~120MB/sec reads, ~50MB/sec writes)

3) You realize the ethernet write speed limit of the BPi (<500Mbps)

If that port multiplier works with the BPi, and the limits above are sufficient for your needs, the BPi can make a nice low power NAS.

Maor  
I haven't tested properly yet, but it should work fine with manually set HW RAID. It should report to OS as a single drive.
Speeds with BPi is OK. I have seen the reviews before I ordered one.
I bumbed into the problem with the tool, I would like to run it. It's this http://www.datoptic.com/Download ... _2_390_20100809.rar
I tryed to set permissions and run it in terminal, but every time an error occurs. I am not a senior Linux user, so maybe I am missing something.

Maor replied at Sun Apr 26, 2015 16:48
I haven't tested properly yet, but it should work fine with manually set HW RAID. It should report t ...

Ok.

Unless your tool was specificaly compiled for the Banana Pi it is fairly unlikely to work.

If it was compiled for a Raspberry Pi, there is a chance it will work.

tkaiser  
If you would care about data integrity, then it would be the best idea to sell Banana Pi, RAID card and drive enclosure and put the 4 HDDs into a HP Microserver. Then you could also have RAID-5 (which is crap these days if you use it with large HDDs and dumb RAID implementations like the SPM393's) but with data integrity (using ZFS/raidz and checksums).

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Mon Apr 27, 2015 05:51
mikronauts replied at Sun Apr 26, 2015 14:01
the BPi can make a nice low power NAS

Not with these disks. They consume above 8W when idle and +10W when in use. I just installed an older N54L Microserver with 4 ST2000VM003 that consumes just 50W on average. This is nearly the same amount of power consumption but this setup isn't broken by design (BPi + SPM393 + WD RE4= no ECC RAM, expensive RAID card, fast disks combined with ultra slow host, crappy RAID implementation, no regular scrubs and SMART tests possible and so on...)

Edited by mikronauts at Mon Apr 27, 2015 09:11

I agree, a dedicated NAS configuration would be superior to a BPi/raid enclosure.

FYI, an incredible number of newbies think that an RPi + USB HDD makes for an "awesome" server on the RPi forums, and refuse to understand about bandwidth limits.

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:06
mikronauts replied at Mon Apr 27, 2015 09:09
I agree, a dedicated NAS configuration would be superior to a BPi/raid enclosure.

Especially since the prices aren't that different if you add Banana Pi, RAID card and HDD enclosure with PSU.

Regarding Raspberry Pi: It's not only bandwidth but also latency that sucks on this platform

In my opinion there's only one area where RPi easily outperforms BPi: RPi + camera module. The raspivid tool does hardware accelerated H.264 video streaming on its VideoCore GPU/VPU. I'm currently implementing a surveillance installation at a customer where 6 RPi with camera module will provide the already encoded h.264 stream on a socket using netcat.

One Banana Pi (router board since it features a few more Ethernet ports) connects to the different RPi also using netcat and records the stream to its SATA disk. The very same stream will also be provided as RTSP stream so you can easily watch any camera's output from any PC/Mac (or one of the RPis in another room also using H.264 decoding on the VPU):
  1. #!/bin/zsh
  2. setopt MULTIOS
  3. nc $rpi 2222 >/path/to/SATA-disk | cvlc stream:///dev/stdin --sout '#rtp{sdp=rtsp://:8554/$rpi/}' :demux=h264
Copy the Code
Per stream less than 10% CPU load on the Banana Pi so we could add ten more Pi-Cams if necessary.

Sounds like a nice application for the RPi camera!

My biggest issue so far with the BPi camera is that it feels like the auto exposure setting on power up is wonky, and I am not able to get anywhere near 5Mpix quality from it. I will be doing some more testing of it, as I am adding one to my BPi bot.

I'll try your script

Maor  
Microserver => nonsence to me. It is a big overkill just for a network storage with the basic hdd failure protection.
Regular 4disk NAS => the cheapest are more than 50USD more expensive and does not offer custom OS and so many extensions like BPi.
x86 PC as NAS => really power hungry and expensive.
BPi + RAID card => for me based on what I have home is the cheapest and offers more features than regular NAS. And it is going to be really small!

You have concerns about speed. My answer to that is, who needs speed builds with SSDs, with different board and in different price tag.
For me is enough to be faster than USB2.0

There is still the question, what half sized micro SD adapter do you recommend?

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules