Discussion

LeMaker forum collect suggestions

60 9910
Perhaps they are abandoning Raspbian and moving to Linaro?

That would not be a huge issue, as long as they add support for "WiringPi" and "RPi.GPIO" at a minimum to Linaro - otherwise we can forget about any form of RPi user-level GPIO compatibility.

Frankly, I am hoping that the A20 based BPi's stay around, they are a nice board when you need SATA and Gig-E (even with the less then stellar SATA performance, and somewhat limited GigiE)

mikronauts replied at Mon Jun 22, 2015 22:10
Frankly, I am hoping that the A20 based BPi's stay around, they are a nice board when you need SATA and Gig-E (even with the less then stellar SATA performance, and somewhat limited GigiE)

If I don't care about GPIO (I'm using directly system facilities), I totally second the SATA aspect !

Having decent disk IO and ethernet throughput is definitively a must have and a strong added value compared to Raspberry.

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Tue Jun 23, 2015 04:14
destroyedlolo replied at Tue Jun 23, 2015 02:15
I totally second the SATA aspect ! Having decent disk IO and ethernet throughput is definitively a must have and a strong added value compared to Raspberry.

Well the main aspect of the BPi/Pro/M1+ is compatiblity with the RPi's GPIO stuff (nearly identical GPIO pinouts and software compatibility as Bill already mentioned). This made the BPi attractive since many people have been able to adopt already existing and well documented solutions for the Raspberries in short time.

But if that doesn't matter and you're just after SATA: sunxi devices that feature a SATA port

If it's the combination of SATA and GMAC Ethernet then there are a couple of boards available: http://linux-sunxi.org/User_talk:Tkaiser (I start collecting some useful informations there since the LeMaker guys prove how you can destroy valuable informations in short time and that it's no good idea to rely on any 'vendor' or 'folks who are providing people around the world with comprehensive SBC platform and global on­line community service' as they call themselve now)

Unfortunately the Banana Pi is both the most powerful (regarding GMAC performance -- still no idea why) and the less expensive A20 board around.

Maybe when LeMaker is finished with self-liquidating then Xunlong will be the winner with its A20 based Orange Pi/Mini.

Thanks for the links - very useful information.

I hope LeMaker fixes the forum and provides good support once more - when I initially bought my first Banana Pi's I got excellent support.

I also got great support when I was reviewing the Banana Pro.

Sadly once the LaMaker/SinoVOIP battle started, everything went down hill.

I am hoping now that peace has been imposed things will get better once again.

I really liked the price/features of the Banana's for quite a few applications - mainly the ones that needed faster mass storage & gig-e.

mpps  
Edited by mpps at Tue Jun 23, 2015 16:45

From my point of view Banana PI is best SBC in price and power
BPi is the best board for SATA and GMAC... Reading the schematic and block diagrams BPi uses both USB hosts and the OTG (I never had Problems with it ;) Having a look to OPi, boards using not all USB hosts they are using a USB hub instead... OPi plus has SATA via USB...
Other A20 boards still having problems with GMAC...
(If I really want use GPIO I would go with RPi...)

If lemaker will quit with this successful BPi, if they will handle their customers like this... they will ever handle their customer like this... at the end they will have no customers at all...

I don't care of lemaker... if SINOVOIP will continue to produce and sell BPi M1 and maybe other A20 SBCs will solve their GMAC problems

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:53
mpps replied at Tue Jun 23, 2015 09:42
Having a look to OPi, boards using not all USB hosts they are using a USB hub instead...

The Orange Pi mini is exactly the same as a Banana Pro or M1+ featurewise. The 'Orange Pi' also uses the A20 but an internal USB hub and the H3 based boards are a totally different story.

Regarding Sinovoip vs. LeMaker. The former aren't able to produce software, provide support or maintain a community. They simply don't care and think it's enough to produce some hardware and not release the necessary details to the community so the latter can jump in and fix their mistakes (and they made a lot -- the OS images from them are a really bad joke).

Unfortunately LeMaker obviously stopped supporting Banana Pi/Pro some time ago and are now too busy doing image cultivation (I still can't believe such an insane company profile has been released). If they continue acting like the last 2 weeks the only thing they had -- 'their' community -- will vanish rather sooner than later.

EDIT: You've been right . They use the USB connected RTL8188ETV also on the OPi Mini and that means there must be an internal USB hub somewhere.

tkaiser  
mikronauts replied at Tue Jun 23, 2015 09:28
I hope LeMaker fixes the forum and provides good support once more - when I initially bought my first Banana Pi's I got excellent support.

Well, this has happened: some young nice, friendly, polite guys trying to develop software, support and community for a single SBC mutated into a 'global pioneer in establishing the open source innovation ecosystem', 'standing at the forefront of innovation', 'providing global on­line community service', blablabla... insert-your-favorite-marketing-bullsh*t-here...

LOL!

FYI, I found out why Tony has been so quiet, there were three new products announced on June 20th at a Maker faire in China... I've been typing like crazy, updating my site with what information I could find

tkaiser  
mikronauts replied at Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:33
LOL!

FYI, I found out why Tony has been so quiet, there were three new products announced on June 2 ...

I "knew" about these new products. You should try a google search for eg. "lemaker guitar site:lemaker.org"

They accidentally leaked the product images already on 17th when the admin of this forum rearranged all the stuff and created three new subforums for their orchestra SBCs.

And there's already one 96boards product mentioned since days: http://wiki.lemaker.org/96boards/HiKey

And please remember: Actions Semi is today where Allwinner has been a few years ago. If LeMaker (Tony) now should provide the software support for S500/S900 then it's over with Banana Pi/Pro

And the situation with PowerVR GPUs and Linux is even worse than with A20's Mali400.

Personaly, I love my BananaPI as it is providing GOOD services for my basement server for 8 months, 24/24, 7/7.
I like the fact it has a rPI compatible and a J12 connector that can provide extra IO even if the rPI one is used.

I like also the BananaPro even if it is missing the J12 as it provide a good alternative to use 40p extension with all the compatibility and power of the bPI.

If LeMaker give up w/ BananaPro, it will be a big loss especially because I have lot of friend impressed with what I did with my bananas

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules