Discussion

LeMaker forum collect suggestions

60 9836
mikronauts replied at Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:18
I am VERY glad that you will keep supporting the Banana Pi / Pro etc... they are excellent boards  ...

I will never give up Banana Pro/Pi, because it is my baby. We have just finished a Banana Pro cluster based micro-data center contest. And we will contact with Debian guys that we can support it directly. You will soon see some PPTs and description of the contest and some guides on how to set up a micro-data center based Banana Pro.
So please don't worry, Banana Pro/Pi will the baby of LeMaker.

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:53
mikronauts replied at Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:22
Well, we still have BPi's

I think there is a definite need for more boards with SATA and GigE, ...

Regarding support for BPi/Pro -- LeMaker corrected the ugly CSS for the forum but the forum is still totally f*cked up regarding access to older contents. Noone is able to access stuff because they destroyed URL schemes (applies to both internal forum links, links from search engines as well as wiki contents without redirect pages). All the problems mentioned here are still unresolved.

Regarding Tony's statements that LeMaker produces one SBC together with FreeScale (while they're simply using the best documented SoC available -- FreeScale's i.MX6 -- to build a board around) and the situation with Actions Semi (compare with this statement regarding their contributions to Linux kernel/community)... I don't know what to say/believe. It's a known fact that Allwinner is the result of the exodus of Actions’senior engineering team but what has this to do with the support situation and 'openness' of a company that lost many of their senior engineers a few years ago to a freshly founded new company?

Even when it's true that LeMaker's project groups get direct support from Actions Semi -- this is quite the opposite of 'open source' (around the Allwinner SoCs the vital linux-sunxi community arose and this community is responsible for the software situation we find today around Allwinner based SBCs)

Regarding SATA+GBit Ethernet: It depends all on the SoC in question. The i.MX6 is capable but Ethernet performance is not that good as GMAC's on A20/Banana Pi and designs based on i.MX6 (especially when they use a PCIe NIC for GBit Ethernet) are way more expensive. BTW: The temperature range LeMaker claims for their 'first industrial grade SBC so far' is somewhat irritating: -40℃ - +105℃. All the many other i.MX6 designs that were produced as an industrial version the last few years have temperate specs of -20℃/-40℃ - +85℃. Maybe FreeScale increased the upper limit in the meantime?

We will see...

tony_zhang replied at Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:41
I will never give up Banana Pro/Pi, because it is my baby. We have just finished a Banana Pro clus ...

Excellent.

tkaiser replied at Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:51
Regarding support for BPi/Pro -- LeMaker corrected the ugly CSS for the forum but the forum is sti ...

I am willing to wait a bit for the forums to be fixed. Parallax (another forum I use) has had very serious forum issues in the past - heck even the RPi forums have had significant hickus (Pi2 intro)... so as long as the forums are fixed relatively soon, I am not too worried. It does need a good 404 handler

LeMaker support used to be excellent, and I hope it will be excellent again.

Regarding SATA - I think market forces will bring us solutions.

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Wed Jun 24, 2015 15:55
mikronauts replied at Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:59
Regarding SATA - I think market forces will bring us solutions

Which market?

If we speak about ARM SoCs then there are Marvell Kirkwood/Armada (designed for NAS and therefore providing both good Gbit network and SATA performance) and Freescale's i.MX6. And Allwinners A10/A20. That's it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co ... nterfaces_and_ports

You want SATA on your board? If you don't choose Allwinner designs you have to pay 3-5 times more with Marvell/Freescale.

I believe Allwinner implemented SATA in the A10 more or less accidentally (since just a few devices made use of, namely the MeLE A2000 and left it in the A20 since it was already there. No other Allwinner SoC released later contains SATA since noone needs SATA in a tablet, smartphone or set-top box. And this is the main market of these chips, not a few thousand SBCs for makers/enthusiasts.

Same applies to GBit Ethernet: Again Marvell Kirkwood/Armada (good Ethernet performance), i.MX6 (limited to 470 Mbits/sec when no external GBit is attached using PCIe), TI's AM335x or Allwinner. And I believe the latter include GMAC in their newer A SoC series not because 'the market' demands it but since they already have an implementation and it makes no difference whether they would include EMAC or GMAC.

The A20 is featurewise the best cheap SoC you can dream of if you're interested in both SATA and GBit Ethernet (and if one day maybe the slow SATA write performance will vanish -- I still hope that there are a few lines of code in the sunxi_ahci module responsible for that -- then the A20 would be even superiour compared to i.MX6 in this area)

tony_zhang replied at Wed Jun 24, 2015 17:41
I will never give up Banana Pro/Pi, because it is my baby. We have just finished a Banana Pro clus ...

Great to hear that : it's our baby too as many of us did provided lot of support on this forum ... We did also great projects around Bananas, projects that are interesting for potential customer but the recent lack of activities here wasn't a positive sign.

Hoping the situation evolve on the right direction ...

tkaiser replied at Wed Jun 24, 2015 15:08
Which market?

If we speak about ARM SoCs then there are Marvell Kirkwood/Armada (designed for NAS ...

Well, let's hope A20 boards such as BPi and BPro remain available.

tkaiser  
mikronauts replied at Wed Jun 24, 2015 16:20
Well, let's hope A20 boards such as BPi and BPro remain available.

Fortunately others do also SBCs with A20. Even real OSHW is available, eg. Olimex -- according to them even Allwinner will produce discontinued SoCs when a customer asks for batches of at least 50K

tkaiser replied at Wed Jun 24, 2015 16:51
Fortunately others do also SBCs with A20. Even real OSHW is available, eg. Olimex -- according to  ...

Excellent - I don't think we need to fear running out of A20 based PCB's then

admin  
Tido replied at Fri Jun 19, 2015 02:30
If you want to switch and be modern - go for:

DISCOURSE the forum

thanks, Dear. We'll refer to it

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules