Interfacing

Power via GPIO CON3 ?

23 15916
After thinking about it, I suspect that powering the Banana from GPIO does not work because of the power management chip, which was needed for the power switch etc.

So far, my testing is going nicely

--
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi and Pi Jumper

Reply 7# mikronauts

Becouse Banana Pi may work on battery (there are pads for 3.7V battery on board) and it complicate situation. When You work on li-po (li-ion) battery, You must generate 5V to power up the GPIO. So... Power input is only on sata power and microUSB power port.

When You work on battery, the hdd didn't work.

Input 5V is extra stabilised on Banana Pi board...

Post Last Edited by mikronauts at 2014-8-9 15:56

Thank you, makes perfect sense now - I can power from the SATA power connection.

If I use a 3.7V battery to power the Banana, I understand SATA won't run.

Will the Banana run OK with just that batter? Will USB ports get 5V? And HDMI out work?

Or is the battery only for the RTC?

I find the idea of being able to run from a 3.7V battery without needing a boost to 5V very appealing.

Reply  mikronauts
    Becouse Banana Pi may work on battery (there are pads for 3.7V battery on b ...
sylwek2k Posted at 2014-8-9 11:54

s1ck23  
Post Last Edited by s1ck23 at 2014-8-10 01:46

Reply 13# mikronauts

Hi, nice to read that it works via the SATA power connector. I am building a cluster of bananas and in my first draft [1], I wanted to use the GPIO port for external power supply (because it's possible with Raspberry), I already crimped a few plugs ... Do you know if the power circuit is secured by the on board fuse which also secures the micro USB port? And do you know the identifier for that specific molex connector, I need to order a few of them. Thanks!
[1] diagram_v3_eng.png

Reply 13# mikronauts

If I use a 3.7V battery to power the Banana, I understand SATA won't run.

Only SATA power won't run. If You have extra power supply for SATA HDD, they woul'd we work

Will the Banana run OK with just that batter? Will USB ports get 5V? And HDMI out work?

Yes

Or is the battery only for the RTC?

Pads for RTC battery are between SATA data line and HDMI port. You may use lit (3V) battery or SUPER CAP/GOLD CAP.
Pads for main battery (lipo,li-ion 3.7V) are between microUSB port IN (DC IN) and SATA data line.

Banana Pi use AXP209 (Intelligent Power Select, IPSTM) to manage the power distribution. In Raspberry Pi, +5V on 26 pins comes from micro-usb power. But in Banana Pi, +5V on 26 pins come from IPSOUT (AXP209 output). So we could not use the CON3 to power on the Banana Pi.

Reply 14# s1ck23

Do you know if the power circuit is secured by the on board fuse which also secures the micro USB port?

There is no any secure Few gays on this forum burn diode in onboard power supply.

And do you know the identifier for that specific molex connector, I need to order a few of them. Thanks!

sorry, i don't know.

Thank you!

That is perfect. VERY nice design.

Reply  mikronauts

Only SATA power won't run. If You have extra power supply for SATA HDD, they w ...
sylwek2k Posted at 2014-8-10 01:50

Excellent!

I found a translated data sheet... which I will now carefully read.

http://hands.com/~lkcl/eoma/kde_ ... heet-Translated.pdf

Banana Pi use AXP209 (Intelligent Power Select, IPSTM) to manage the power distribution. In Raspberr ...
tony_zhang Posted at 2014-8-10 01:56

Excellent!

I found a translated data sheet... which I will now carefully read.
mikronauts Posted at 2014-8-10 17:16

You may also read datasheet from axp202 - its similar chip (with some less functions).

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules