Lubuntu

All mac address are the same?

10 2234
I got many BPIs for my product. I developed my software on one of them and deployed it with the whole system by making a system image.But when i install the image into another BPI, they get the same mac address, how can i change the mac address?
tkaiser  
Which OS image are you using?

The problem is/was well known but should be fixed since ages (using the SID inside the A20 SoC to generate a unique and persistent MAC address accross reboots in U-Boot)

If you use the Ethernet, the mac address will be different.
If you use the Wifi under Ubuntu, it seems the mac address is the same because the bug of Network Manager tool. You can remove the tool, then use another tool to configure the wifi.

tkaiser replied at Thu Jul 16, 2015 02:42
Which OS image are you using?

The problem is/was well known but should be fixed since ages (using t ...

Thanks for your reply.I'm using Lubuntu.

tony_zhang replied at Fri Jul 17, 2015 06:14
If you use the Ethernet, the mac address will be different.
If you use the Wifi under Ubuntu, it se ...

Thanks for your reply.
As you said, i use Lubuntu.
But it would be a tough job to change into another tool becase a lot of code had been designed on the basis of Network-Manager.
I don't know if it would be ok to change into Raspbian(both of them are based on Debian)?

tkaiser  
Cardinal@Lemake replied at Thu Jul 30, 2015 20:36
Thanks for your reply.I'm using Lubuntu.

Then I've no answer. I never used any of the images LeMaker supplied since Raspbian is definitely crap (slow since ARMv6 based, leading users into false assumptions regarding RPi compatibility so they waste hours just to find out RPi and BPi are incompatible here and there and with weird cpu governor settings that slowed BPi unnecessarily down) and I learned to hate Lubuntu even before.

The problem you describe is non existing with both Bananian and Armbian which I now use (since their maintainers care about problems)

tkaiser replied at Thu Jul 30, 2015 23:51
Then I've no answer. I never used any of the images LeMaker supplied since Raspbian is definitely  ...

Bananian looks great!
I'll try it, thanks very much.

tkaiser  

Armbian even better

Igor's build system let you choose between kernel 3.4 and mainline and you are free to decide whether you want to use Wheezy, Jessie or Ubuntu Trusty. With Bananian you have to stick with kernel 3.4 and have no choice regarding the Debian version (Wheezy now, Jessie starting with 15.08).

It depends on what you want: for a headless Debian system Bananian's great. But if you want to get close to Lubuntu I would take an x86 box with Ubuntu 14.04, grab Igor's lib, define BUILD_DESKTOP="yes" in compile.sh and when you run compile.sh choose interactively a) your board, b) Ubuntu and c) kernel 3.4. Then check the FAQ how to reserve memory for GPU and how to get a working GUI with desktop manager: https://github.com/igorpecovnik/ ... tion/general-faq.md

Based on my experiences this should work flawlessly. But I ran through all these steps many times and deal with Unix/Linux for more than 2 decades. So I might oversee the obvious: That this approach is way too complicated :-)

Cardinal@Lemake replied at Thu Jul 30, 2015 20:50
Thanks for your reply.
As you said, i use Lubuntu.
But it would be a tough job to change into ano ...

Then source code in the kernel which define the mac address in all the images including Bananaian is the same. Then only trouble is the application Network Manager is bug itself.
You can change to use Raspbian and Bananian (without desktop enviroment by default)

igorpec  
Edited by igorpec at Fri Jul 31, 2015 15:16

Desktop environment version of Armbian is under testing and will be released ASAP. All goodies plus desktop with FB turbo.

Very quick amateur non edited video. First try ;)

screen1

screen1

screen2

screen2

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules