Other OS

Fedora 22 Issues

4 2456
Edited by cprogrammer at Wed Jul 22, 2015 04:58

I am in the process of migrating to Fedora 22 on bananapi. I am currently using FC20 with 3.4.103 kernel without any issues.

I have used the image http://ftp.yzu.edu.tw/Linux/Fedo ... hfp-22-3-sda.raw.xz kernel 4.0.0-0.git0.1.fc22.armv7hl

The board boots up fine, but the resolution is limited to 1024x768. Looks like FC22 for bananapi is using extlinux(syslinux) as bootloader. I have tried 3 methods, but only the last method works (but that is by putting a older kernel 3.4.103).

Method 1
======
I did the following modification to /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and modified the append line. But I still did not get 1920x1080 resolution

# extlinux.conf generated by appliance-creator
ui menu.c32
menu autoboot Welcome to Fedora-Xfce-armhfp-22_Alpha-3. Automatic boot in # second{,s}. Press a key for options.
menu title Fedora-Xfce-armhfp-22_Alpha-3 Boot Options.
menu hidden
timeout 20
totaltimeout 600

label Fedora-Xfce-armhfp-22_Alpha-3 (4.0.0-0.rc1.git0.1.fc22.armv7hl)
    kernel /vmlinuz-4.0.0-0.rc1.git0.1.fc22.armv7hl
    append enforcing=0 ro root=UUID=175f18f4-2e0d-4d13-a343-a6e8c9abd986 console=tty0 disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1920x1080p50 hdmi.audio=EDID:0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p3 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline
    fdtdir /dtb-4.0.0-0.rc1.git0.1.fc22.armv7hl/
    initrd /initramfs-4.0.0-0.rc1.git0.1.fc22.armv7hl.img

Method II
======
Copy uEnv.txt to /boot with the following
bootargs=console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1280x720p50 hdmi.audio=EDID:0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p3 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait
aload_script=fatload mmc 0 0x43000000 script.bin;
aload_kernel=fatload mmc 0 0x48000000 uImage; bootm 0x48000000;
uenvcmd=run aload_script aload_kernel

Method III
=======
Modify boot.cmd in /boot to add the disp.screen0_out_mode and ran mkimage

Method IV Using 3.4.103 kernel (This gives me HD resolution but with a queer unstoppable bananapi )
======================
Burnt the bootsector with uImage compiled by downloading source from the lemaker github and copying modules and firmware to /lib/modules/3.4.103 and /lib/firmware

This method gives me proper resolution. Everthing seems to be working, but shutdown command shuts the board and reboots it again

Does anyone tried bananapi with the latest kernel? How do I add the following options to the latest kernels. Any help will be appreciated and if I succeed, I will publish a document so that others do not face this problem
CONFIG_FB_SUNXI=y
CONFIG_FB_SUNXI_LCD=y
CONFIG_FB_SUNXI_HDMI=y

madwyn  
Have you tried using the official image from Fedora?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/F22/Installation

It seems that Banana Pi is officially supported, maybe you can give it a go.

Edited by cprogrammer at Wed Jul 22, 2015 09:03
madwyn replied at Wed Jul 22, 2015 05:53
Have you tried using the official image from Fedora?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/A ...

Yes, the problem is with the official image. It does not give full HD resolution.

BTW. I have managed to get full resolution by modifying the official image just now

I have overwritten the bootloader, uImage, script.bin, uEnv.txt from the 3.4.103 source tree and changed the boot partition to vfat. By changing the boot partition to vfat from ext4, the shutdown problem has disappeared. So i am good for the time being.

To summarize, I now have the latest FC22 working. Ethernet, wifi, HD resolution, audio all works. But this is with the older kernel 3.4.103
However, I still would want to go with compiling the latest kernel and add full fledged support for bananapi (mali drivers, fb support for sunxi, etc).

This is what I did to fix the problem, a quick and dirty script to fix the official FC22 distribution

#!/bin/sh
echo "creating vfat filesystem"
/usr/sbin/mkfs.vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1 -I -n boot

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1k count=1023 seek=1
dd if=sunxi-bsp/build/u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1024 seek=8
/usr/bin/mount -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt
/bin/cp sunxi-bsp/build/uImage /mnt
/bin/cp sunxi-bsp/build/script.bin /mnt
/bin/cp uEnvfc22.txt /mnt/uEnv.txt
/bin/cp sunxi-bsp/build/.config /mnt
/bin/sync
/usr/bin/umount /mnt
/bin/sync
and the content of my uEnv.txt is as follows
bootargs=console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1280x720p50 hdmi.audio=EDID:0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p3 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait
aload_script=fatload mmc 0 0x43000000 script.bin;
aload_kernel=fatload mmc 0 0x48000000 uImage; bootm 0x48000000;
uenvcmd=run aload_script aload_kernel

madwyn  
Edited by madwyn at Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:11
cprogrammer replied at Wed Jul 22, 2015 08:56
Yes, the problem is with the official image. It does not give full HD resolution.

BTW. I have mana ...

Thanks for sharing and congrats!
Stuck with 3.4 isn't nice. I've been using Fedora for a while, each upgrade brought me some performance boost (especially for GUI).

I think from 3.10 there should be at least some memeory and power saving improvements. These could be useful for ARM based computers.

I don't have any success with official image from Fedora yet. Using the "fedora-arm-installer" tool it gave me an complaint about cannot find the u-boot file, but finally it still told me the card was ready for booting the board.

The thing is the board won't boot. I've also tried to flash a freshly built u-boot, neigher worked.

Now the board is using the image from Lemaker, I hope I can make 22 working on mine too.

Finally, maybe 3.4 is good because you get the IR and other ports working.

Edited by cprogrammer at Wed Jul 22, 2015 23:52
madwyn replied at Wed Jul 22, 2015 20:32
Thanks for sharing and congrats!
Stuck with 3.4 isn't nice. I've been using Fedora for a while, eac ...

Don't worry about the fedora-arm-installer. You may not have given the --target option correctly.
.e.g

# ./fedora-arm-image-installer.sh --target=Bananapi --image=Fedora-Xfce-armhfp-22_Alpha-3-sda.raw.xz --media=/dev/mmcblk0 --selinux=OFF --norootpass

You can also burn the FC22 image manually instead of using fedora-arm-installer.sh

# xzcat Fedora-Xfce-armhfp-22_Alpha-3-sda.raw.xz > /dev/mmcblk0

using parted or gparted, change the first partition to vfat from ext4

/usr/sbin/mkfs.vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1 -I -n boot
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1k count=1023 seek=1
dd if=sunxi-bsp/build/u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1024 seek=8
/usr/bin/mount -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt
/bin/cp sunxi-bsp/build/uImage /mnt
/bin/cp sunxi-bsp/build/script.bin /mnt
/bin/cp uEnvfc22.txt /mnt/uEnv.txt
/bin/cp sunxi-bsp/build/.config /mnt
/bin/sync
/usr/bin/umount /mnt

# mount /dev/mmcblk0p3 /mnt

Edit /mnt/etc/fstab and comment out the line for /bootEdit /mnt/etc/passwd and remove the password by remove x (root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash) so that the line becomes root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

# umount /mnt
# sync

Your system should now boot without any issue and give  you a full HD resolution. If you face any problem, let me know.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules