Discussion

LeMaker Guitar running LeMedia-The Family Multimedia Center

21 3923
MKT  
Edited by MKT at Tue Aug 18, 2015 21:01

Dear all, Let's introduce the Lemediarunnig on LeMaker Guitar(http://www.lemaker.org/article-46-1.html )to you today. Hope you like it.
LeMedia-The Family Multimedia Center, We designed the it based on Debian8 and Kodi source code.
Firstly,we need to know about Kodi and XBMC.
Kodi(formerly XBMC) is a free and open-source media player software, developed bythe XBMC Foundation, a non-profit technology consortium. The software wasoriginally produced as an independently developed media player applicationnamed Xbox Media Center (abbreviated as XBMC) for the first-generation Xboxgame console, and was later made available under the name Kodi (formerly XBMC)as a native application for Android, Linux, BSD, Mac OS X, iOS, and MicrosoftWindows based operating systems. It is also available as a standalone versionreferred to as Kodibuntu.? ”
1.jpg

Secondly, let’s DIY the family multimedia center based on LeMaker Guitar
1pcsLeMaker Guitar, 1pcs remote control, 1pcs HDMI cable, 1pcs 12V 2A power supplyand one Screen(LCD TV will be better)

Let's see what we can do with it

3.jpg    4.jpg
            Images and slides                                                                            Musics
5.png    6.jpg
          Videos                                                                      Weather reporting

7.jpg    11.jpg
          OnlineVideos                                                                      Live TV
    8.jpg    9.jpg

Abundantapplications                                           FileManagement

Hardwarerequirements
Kodihas greater basic hardware requirements than traditional 2D style software applications:it needs a 3D capable graphics hardware controller for all rendering. It runs well on LeMaker Guitar, which is running PowerVRSGX544MP GPU.

Whensoftware decoding of a Full HD 1080p high-definition and high bit-rate video isperformed by the system CPU, a dual-core 2 GHz or faster CPU is required inorder to allow for perfectly smooth playback without dropping frames or givingplayback a jerky appearance.Kodi can also offload most video decoding processonto graphics hardware controller that supports common types ofhardware-accelerated video decoding. LeMaker Guitar,with the CPU 1.3GHz quad-core Cortex-A9R4 processors, can confidently fullysupports all the powerful functions of Kodi.

10.jpg
Accordingto the high performance of LeMaker Guitar, We designed the LeMedia based onDebian8 and Kodi source code.
You can also Dexperience theLeMedia in advance on Our Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/LeMaker/555422557895933
11.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
tkaiser  
LeMedia - The Family Multimedia Center, We designed the it based on Debian8 and Kodi source code
So why do you show us Kodi running in Android if it's Debian 8 based and you claim to adopt Kodi source code?

What's the point creating a SBC that is based on an Android engine like Actions Semi S500/ATM7059 used in tablets and set-top boxes and showing that this Android device is able to run Android Lollipop?

How smooth play videos within Linux? Is it able to encode video captured over the MIPI interface HW accelerated using the PowerVR GPU?

Amazing work! The image quality is clear and beautiful...

cxy  
Vexelius replied at Wed Aug 19, 2015 02:07
Amazing work! The image quality is clear and beautiful...

why you think the Kodi running in Android ? feel very strange!  
did you research and commit some source code to mainline of Kodi?

tkaiser  
cxy replied at Wed Aug 19, 2015 06:42
why you think the Kodi running in Android ?

Maybe due to the Android mascot being displayed at the beginning of your video?

So if it's not running on Android what are the tech specs of LeMedia running on Guitar? Linux kernel 3.10.X (which number is X)? Full HW accelerated video decoding up to which formats (I ask because in your video you showed 2 recordings of game trailers, one in 720p and the other even only SD -- and according to your specs page PowerVR GPU is capable of '4K HD video decoding' and you show us 1280×720 and 720x576?)

Sorry but the 'informations' supplied in this thread are insufficient or even false. 'Debian 8' means nothing when it's about the kernel version (important since many Vdr sticks require a recent kernel version for their drivers) and the accessibility of hardware features like GPU/VPU acceleration. And the statement that Kodi 'needs a 3D capable graphics hardware controller for all rendering' is weird since 3D acceleration is only needed for... 3D video as far as I know?

tkaiser replied at Wed Aug 19, 2015 03:42
So why do you show us Kodi running in Android if it's Debian 8 based and you claim to adopt Kodi sou ...

I can promise the Kodi review video is taken under Debian. Maybe you see the boot logo has an Android, this is because in the Actions SDK, it modify the logo in the boot process, we do not remove it either.We have modified the Kodi source code, and apply the PowerVR SGX544 gpu user space driver.
If you do not believe, you can try the Linux Kodi when the Guitar is availiable.
We do not need to cheat users that the Kodi is running under Linux.

MIPI-CSI can not captrued picture via hadrware accleration, because the S500 do not have a ISP inside. It only support deconding video under hardware accleration.

tkaiser replied at Wed Aug 19, 2015 03:42
So why do you show us Kodi running in Android if it's Debian 8 based and you claim to adopt Kodi sou ...

I do not mean anything unpolite for your  question. I like all the users can like you to ask kinds of questions and discuss with us.

tkaiser  
tony_zhang replied at Wed Aug 19, 2015 07:36
I can promise the Kodi review video is taken under Debian. Maybe you see the boot logo has an Andr ...

Thanks Tony for the answer and the explanation why the ugly Android logo is shown :-)

But it still puzzles me what the specs of LeMedia running on Guitar are. The marketing text above is more nebulous than clear.

Can 4K or 1080p contents be played smoothly with LeMedia?

And too bad MIPI-CSI isn't available as source for HW accelerated video encoding. Since the Guitar can be fed with 12V I thought about using it as an IP-Cam with power over Ethernet and no need to use a stepdown converter (normally necessary over larger distances when 5V on the wire would drop too much and you have to use higher voltages to compensate)

cxy  
If i have a Guitar in hand, i can test the lemedia system, and show to all users, when to buy one ?

tkaiser replied at Wed Aug 19, 2015 08:05
Thanks Tony for the answer and the explanation why the ugly Android logo is shown :-)

But it stil ...

Hello.

After reading your posts, I decided to make a small video to answer some of your questions. It's not edited, so there are some parts where the camera shakes a bit and loses focus, but I hope that it will reassure you that it's completely real.

First of all, I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 on the LeMaker guitar. Not Android, as you can see.
The files used to test the playback quality are:

-Sintel.2010.720p (MKV)
-Sintel.2010.1080p (MKV)
-Sintel.2010.4k (MKV)
-The boy with the cuckoo-clock heart (AVI)
-VernalShowB (MP4)

The first 3 are the same movie (the famous Durian movie project, by the Blender institute, in different levels of quality)

As you can see, the first two versions play smoothly and without any issues. The 4K version is playable, but with some slowdown. However, I'm confident that the code might be optimized further to solve this issue.

The following file was a DVD-RIP, and the last one, a video that I captured using my cellphone and edited in Movavi Video suite. Both play without any issues.

By the way, this is the setup I used to make the test:

Something to note: I'm using a generic, low-quality USB drive.

So far, I have tried to push the limits of this little card, and in my personal opinion, I'm amazed.
I have made the Raspberry Pi crash a lot when I tried to execute some software or code that goes beyond its limits...

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules