Bananian

Only one CPU Core (4.1.5-bananian) Banana Pi

11 2708
Edited by CountDracula at Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:40

Why can I see only the processor 0?

root@banana:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor        : 0
model name        : ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 50.52
Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm
CPU implementer        : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant        : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xc07
CPU revision        : 4

Hardware        : Allwinner sun7i (A20) Family
Revision        : 0000
Serial                : 0000000000000000
root@banana:~# uname -a
Linux banana 4.1.5-bananian #1 SMP Thu Aug 13 08:43:08 UTC 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
tkaiser  
Can you provide the output of 'zgrep SMP /proc/config.gz'?

igorpec  
This is probably due too wrong u-boot configuration.

Hi!

root@banana:~# zgrep SMP /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_GENERIC_SMP_IDLE_THREAD=y
CONFIG_HAVE_SMP=y
CONFIG_SMP=y
CONFIG_SMP_ON_UP=y
CONFIG_PM_SLEEP_SMP=y

Well, this looks fine to me.

tkaiser  
I believe Igor's right and it got messed up in U-Boot. With a few adjustments you could also use the U-Boot package he provides: http://mirror.igorpecovnik.com/kernel/4.1.2-bananapi-next.tar (after installing the contained 'linux-u-boot-4.1.2-bananapi_3.2_armhf.deb' you would've to adjust boot.cmd and recreate boot.scr afterwards)

Or you better wait for a confirmation/fix from the Bananian guys.

Fixed!
Please run "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" to get the fixed u-boot.

ruir  
Hi guys, I have just bough a banana pi R1 and my colleague a banana pi M1 and they are  a fantastic piece of hardware. However I have a few considerations about the bananian Linux and it´s configuration, relating to this post.

I too found out the bananian is using only one CPU. In the default configuration, in both of the hardwares, the procedure of upgrading to the last updates does not solve the issue. It keeps on using only one CPU.

Upgrading to the kernel 4.2 solves the issue. However, that new kernel is definitively not compiled as well as the 3.x that comes as default. It does not recognise the switch in the R1. It comes with debugging enabled, unlike the 3.x version. I blacklisted that module, and the debugging went away, however no dice about enabling the R1 switch.

I also apparently am having some problems after the full upgrade, lost connectivity to the outside, will have to debug it further.

Would it be possible for you guys to also correct the 1 CPU issue when using kernel 3 too?

Regards

ruir  
New data, I also have tested it out with the 4.1, same problem, no switch in R1.

I'm not using Bananian, but I'm quite sure your pb is configuration related : my bananas are all under 3.4.x and are using both core. I compiled my own kernel based on LeMaker and SunXI information and running Gentoo.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules