I installed an Edimax wifi usb adapter the ew-7811un and got it working on WPA2 with hidden SSID support .|
I was just wondering if the steps I took to accomplish it was just enough or a few to many.
All of this needs to be done as a privileged user, so you can prefix all the editing commands with sudo or just run “sudo su” to turn yourself into an administrator.
Install the wpa_supplicant utility
This release supports Realtek RTL8188CE, RTL8188CUS, RTL8188DE, RTL8188SU, RTL8191SE, RTL8191SU, RTL8192CE, RTL8192CU, RTL8192DE, RTL8192E, RTL8192SE, RTL8192SU and RTL8192U-based devices. Copy the Code
- apt-get install wpasupplicant
Add a "non-free" component to /etc/apt/sources.list, for example:
Update the list of available packages and install the firmware-realtek package: Copy the Code
- # Debian 7 "Wheezy"
- deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
Configuration Copy the Code
- # apt-get update && apt-get install firmware-realtek
This step can be skipped for fresh install. Delete anything in this file about wlan0 or wlan1. This file is used to remember the physical characteristics of USB adapters and may well contain incorrect or misleading information, and should be empty apart from comments unless you have added other USB devices.
Update /etc/network/interfaces to add the wlan0 section, so that it looks like this.
Create the file wpa_supplicant.conf Copy the Code
- # Used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8). See the interfaces(5) manpage or
- # /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples for more information.
- auto lo
- iface lo inet loopback
- iface eth0 inet dhcp
- auto wlan0
- iface wlan0 inet dhcp
- pre-up wpa_supplicant -Dwext -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
WPA2-PSK with Hidden SSID support Make it look like this: Copy the Code
- sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
in the nano editor hit keys Ctrl+x then y then Enter to save the new file. Copy the Code
- psk="this is my secret phrase"
Restrict the permissions of /etc/network/interfaces, to prevent disclosure:
Restrict the permissions of /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, to prevent pre-shared key (PSK) disclosure: Copy the Code
- chmod 0600 /etc/network/interfaces
Clean Copy the Code
- chmod 0600 /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
Remove the "non-free" component from /etc/apt/sources.list, for example:
Update the list of available packages: Copy the Code
- # Debian 7 "Wheezy"
- #deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free