XMBC

XBMC on Raspbian v3

5 8521
ryjyd  
Post Last Edited by ryjyd at 2014-7-24 20:03

This is a placeholder for coordinating the efforts to chase down the elusive magic words that makes Raspbian want to run XBMC. I've made XBMC run on so many things, and I don't want to get beaten by a modern board that just wants to be finicky.

I had a few ideas as I thought about how to make this happen and did the research. If anyone has the code-fu to do it, compiling Dharma and/or Eden may be more possible or workable given the video requirements (many complaints about losing functionality after updating from either one to the next). Source code is still over at the xbmc.org site (http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/). In addition, Dharma has an active add-ons community via XBMC4Xbox, and I have a full stack of add-ons laying around somewhere that they took down a few months ago. I still have Dharma running on my Xbox, so I do have a vested interest in it working regardless of the outcome here. Eden still has a repo on SuperRepo.org, but I've not had a copy of Eden to test it with. Gotham is still too new in my opinion, and many of my preferred add-ons just don't like it, so I'm not even trying yet.

Obviously, Frodo is choice thanks to Empat0 and rellla's work, and since there's a lot of aiming for that and support for it, that's where this thread is going at the moment. Feel free to change my mind at any time.

Here are my notes (more for me than you), based off of the sunxi site so props to whoever built the wiki page, not to me. Maybe it'll end up being a shell script, so I'm writing it with that in mind. If something looks wrong or won't work because I should use something else, feel free to let me know. I'm flying blind anyhow.

I am running Raspbian v3 with Jessie repos added

XBMC A10 Hack Project:
http://linux-sunxi.org/xbmc

Run this stuff:
--lots of root stuff, just be root--
sudo su
-----------------------------------------

#get all your libraries in order
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
#make sandwich, this takes a while

#more building
apt-get build-dep xbmc
apt-get install swig default-jre libgtk2.0-bin libssh-4 libssh-dev

#turn on your hw acceleration and leave it on
#leafpad /etc/environment
#(prob empty, add "A10HWR=1" and save)
#website does this, same thing but I couldn't do it, don't care why right now
echo -e "\nA10HWR=1" >> /etc/environment

#this build is apparently huge, make a swap file
dd if=/dev/zero of=/swap bs=1M count=384
mkswap -c /swap
swapon /swap

#need space to work in
#(from ~)
mkdir melehacking
cd melehacking

#get gits (no need to install git on rspv3)
git clone git://github.com/rellla/xbmca10.git
cd xbmca10
git checkout stage/Frodo  
#yay, we have xbmc, sort of... need libs and tools

#get their version of taglib
wget https://github.com/downloads/taglib/taglib/taglib-1.8.tar.gz
tar -zxvf taglib-1.8.tar.gz
cd taglib-1.8
./INSTALL
#have a banana, this will take a minute

........aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm yanking the ebrake on it, just hit install errors, gonna go hack at it.
Isnt Frodo  Android?

xefil  
I was able to compile it on Lubuntu. All works but seems there is a render issue using an external player for HD videos.
Native XBMC player won't work, i mean, no hardware acceleration.
mplayer from command line works, not as external player into XBMC. It flickers like it cannot gain the focus.
cvlc wont work with every video, even if as external player into XBMC would not soffer the issue like mplayer
mpv, like mplayer. In addition mpv support an option to enable and render correctly subtitles.
I could try to compile it on Rasbian too. You errors are maybe related to device issues which I've hit too. In the next days I'll provide some stuff more. Tony allready has some notes about that.
Angry because If only the external player mplayer would not flicker, xbmc would be ready at 100%!

Simon

ryjyd  
Funny you should mention a working MPlayer...

http://forum.lemaker.org/viewthr ... &extra=page%3D1

I'd hack at it myself, but I ended up on a kernel building tangent. Might also be useful, I'll know in a couple hours.

ryjyd  
@ChicagoBob: XBMC started on XBox (>X< >B<ox >M<edia >C<enter). As a result of wanting more and better and knowing the XBox just wasn't cutting it after a while, they ported where they could. The result was Xbox ran Dharma, Windows runs all (Dharma, Eden, Frodo, Gotham) Android runs Frodo and Gotham, Ubuntu started on Eden I think (the Hardy release?), Debian jumped on for Frodo, and most linux arms run Frodo, some run Gotham. xbmc.org had the source, and I keep wondering if Eden or Dharma will run better in this case, since the bpi is still software driven graphically in linux. But, my code-fu is junk and I can barely manage to boot anything not spoon-fed to me at this point.

Noahgie  
Post Last Edited by Noahgie at 2014-9-17 12:14

Hey! Thank you for the nice Tutorial!

But I've got a little Noob-Question How to add the Jessie Repos to Raspbian ?

Thank You
Noahgie

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules