Discussion

Searching a case for my BPi-R1 around 200x250x70mm

8 1425
nebkas  
Hello,

Im looking for a new case for my BPi-R1 with additional space for a power suply. Best size would be 170x250x70mm.

I live in Germany and searched a lot on the comman web shops like conrad, amazon, reichelt and even 3d printing solutions.

It would be nice when someone have a hint or something else

best regards

Nebkas
joman  
Edited by joman at Wed Oct 7, 2015 02:03

http://aliexpress.com/wholesale? ... archText=bpi-r1+box

It is small?

nebkas  
Yeah, they are too small or too expensive. I think I have to build it by my own

tkaiser  

It is crap. The R1 has some thermal issues and being operated horinzotally in this 'standard enclosure' will lead to overheating. There's only one commercial enclosure existent that does not ignore the thermal challenges. See at the end of this page: http://linux-sunxi.org/Lamobo_R1#Current_drawbacks

nebkas  
Thx tkaiser,

I had already seen it. Thats why I'm looking for a different case. I think something with a volume from 3-4 liter will do it. I want to put in a additional power suply, and a fan, controlled by the pmw gpio.

I looked already for some stable lunch boxes and think that will may do it

When the time comes I will update with some pictures

tkaiser  
If you do it right then you won't need a fan. I created a custom enclosure for a bunch of stuff including one R1 and ended up with a small fan directly cooling both PMU and SoC when temperature tresholds were exceeded since the system had to transcode recorded videos every hour and I didn't want the PMU's temperature above 55°C a few weeks ago when ambient temperatures exceeded 30°C:

http://forum.armbian.com/index.p ... -sata-power/?p=1628

nebkas  
Thx again tkaiser

I will have a look at it. But I want to put this power suply into the case too.

It has 5v and 12v output. So that my BPi-R1 can grow a bit and is prepared for other customization

tkaiser  
nebkas replied at Wed Oct 7, 2015 11:03
Thx again tkaiser

I will have a look at it. But I want to put this power suply into the case too ...

I really don't get why you would need a dual voltage PSU unless you would need to connect a 3.5" disk also? And then you would need a cable that fits into the R1's 22 pin "SATA data + power" port and only uses the data part.

And based on my experiences such dual voltage PSUs have a much higher idle consumption compared to a running R1. I would either go with an efficient 5V PSU (connected to the LiPo battery connector to avoid the crappy Micro-USB connector) and a 2.5" disk powered through the R1 or use a 3.5" disk with one 12V PSU (and a step-down converter to get the 5V) and not the R1 but a Banana Pi instead and a small GBit switch. But my use case is obviously different. I would never try to use the R1 as a router and rely on VLANs to differentiate between WAN and LAN ports.

nebkas  
tkaiser replied at Thu Oct 8, 2015 06:28
I really don't get why you would need a dual voltage PSU unless you would need to connect a 3.5" d ...

Hello tkaiser,

yes, you are right. Your case is obviously different to mine. For me, the BPi-R1 is a nice toy and I really like to play with it
Im using a 2,5 SSD so there is no need for the 12V Output. At the next step I will just need the 5V output to power the BPi-R1 on the LiPo battery port. The 12V output is just now a option for me. Because I don' know what next comes to my mind to implement.

And you are right too with the productive use of the BPi-R1. A small managed GBit router and a hacked Fritz!Box and a Banana Pi would do the things too. But as I said, the BPi-R1 is like a toy, a hobby for me.

Best regards

Nebkas

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules