Other OS

How to make .fw file to load to eMMC

7 2279
Hi guys,
Any one know how we can make .fw image to load to eMMC after creating our Linux Rootfs?
That would be good if share any tools can do that on Linux (or possibly Windows!)

Many thanks,
Hi all,
Just an Update:
I have searched hours to find out what are .fw files.
Actions has its own tool to modify and create Firmware.
I have found several application called "ACTIONS Firmware Modify Tool", "ACTIONS Memory Scan Tools" and "ACTIONS Image Maker Tool" but they are all for PAD edition of Actions products.

I don't know where we can get this tools and even not sure if LeMaker has any plan for sharing these tools or not.
But apparently without those tools we cannot make a .fw file which Actions SoC needs to update their firmware.

tkaiser  
sghazagh replied at Wed Oct 7, 2015 18:11
Hi all,
Just an Update:
I have searched hours to find out what are .fw files.

If you have an already working image that can be burned to SD card or eMMC and you just want to exchange rootfs or kernel (haha, unless we have the kernel sources Actions Semi or LeMaker use this is pretty useless) you can do this within Linux the usual way: you mount the .fw image with losetup and modifying everything according to your needs -- just have a look at this example here to get the idea: https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/second/deboostrap.sh

Just keep in mind that LeMaker currently uses a 2 partition scheme. If you just want to exchange the rootfs all you've to modify is /dev/loop0p2 (on p1 the stuff required to boot is stored: boot_logo.bmp.gz, kernel.dtb, uEnv.txt and uImage)

Comments

Interesting that the .fw files can be open as Loop device! Yes, I know the two/2 Partition Schem and I will give it a go and see if I can make a simple ROOTFS to load to eMMC. Cheers,  Post time Oct 08, 2015 15:22

hnsncxy  
Hi guys,
Any one know how we can make .fw image to load to eMMC after creating our Linux Rootfs?
That would be good if share any tools can do that on Linux (or possibly Windows!)
Hi, sghazagh
We have writen a tool to make the fw firmware which can be burned to the EMMC, we will release the tool to our Github in this week. However,the tool may be not very perfect at present, hope you can improve it with us.
Thanks for your support
BR

That's a good news.
Thanks for update and happy to see that you guys do care about the customers and update the wiki and answer the forum questions.

Keep going guys. The LeMaker Guitar is fantastis as per my experience so far.
Make it even better by providing your support

Look forward to see the SDK and Tools...

hnsncxy  
We have released the tool  to create image, please visit the link at http://www.lemaker.org/thread-22519-1-1.html

Ialso tried to play with this tool.
An easy BusyBox rootfs does not work on SD either.
For eMMC, we need to create our own partitions. 8gb eMMC cannot be left blank and we need to partition it as number as we need to be able to boot to each of them which we want.
This tool is very unmature and needs lots of imporovement.
Why we need to make compress file from rootfs when we can just address the containing folder?
I understand you used 'rootfs.img' to be used by script to create the eMMC partitions.But it is not necessary for SD image to have fixed partition size.
Why not using 'fdisk' which is common and no need installation instead of fixed value 'parted' application?
And lot more comments....!!!

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules