Other OS

Lubuntu 16.04 LTS (ELAR-Systems Version)

23 4325
Edited by sghazagh at Apr 27, 2016 15:34

Lubuntu v16.04 (LTS)

Dear all,
Here is the latest Ubuntu 16.04 Long Term Support (LTS) with integrated Lubunto Dektop for LeMaker Guitar.
This release of "Lubuntu 16.04 LTS" is the latest version which has been built from the scratch for devices using the armhf architecture CPUs and Guitar with Action S500 is one of thoese.

Screenshot-16.04.png

Lubuntu 16.04 LTS (ELAR-Systems Version) - SD Image: DOWNLOAD
Lubuntu 16.04 LTS (ELAR-Systems Version) - eMMC Image (.fw): DOWNLAOD

Default password for "root" user is : elar-systems
(SSH-Server is enabled and you can login through SSH as well)

NOTE:
ELAR Systems will no longer provide any OS for LeMaker Guitar and this release will be the last one.

Hope you find it useful!
http://www.elar-systems.com
http://www.elar-systems.com.au

(Visit this post HERE if you would like to download Lubuntu v15.10)
(Continue reading if you would like to download Lubuntu v15.04)

Hello all,
I have created a brand new Ubuntu 15.04 Linux with Lubuntu Full Desktop. It's fully functional and loading very quick.

Image-01.png

I have named it "Lubuntu 15.04 (ELALR-Systems Version)"
I have used the root for main Login and left it for you to create your own users/groups.

Default password for "root" user is : elar-systems

(SSH-Server is enabled and you can login through SSH as well)

Lubuntu 15.04 (ELAR-Systems Version) - SD Image: DOWNLOAD
Lubuntu 15.04 (ELAR-Systems Version) - eMMC Image (.fw): DOWNLAOD

UPDATE (2015/10/26) :
Download and replace the kernel Image (uImage) and Device Tree (kernel.dtb) for having 1920x1080p Full HD Display Resolution.   (Download)

Hope you like it,

http://www.elar-systems.com
http://www.elar-systems.com.au

tkaiser  
So you managed to exchange the rootfs of an already existing image? Great.

What's not so great is the useability. At least I'm not convinced that an OS image providing just 1024x600 upscaled pixels on my 2560x1600 display provides a great user experience. I'd like to be able to use 2560x1600 instead. The upscaled contents are waisting space and don't look sharp. This limitation applies to all OS images derived from LeMaker's since they all share the definition of a 'master resolution' of just 1024x600.

Unless these basics are resolved (and the problem lives in kernel.dtb) I don't think it makes sense to flood the net with OS images all sharing the same severe limitations.

No, I didn't exchange.
I just setup from scratch with "debootstrap" of ubuntu 15.04.

Then installed full Lubuntu-Desktop and customized it. Plus fixing some of Ubuntu bugs and adjusted the Kernel and Apps.

With regard to Display Resolution, we do not have access to kernel source yet. It will be adjusted through Kernel source and it's a know issue by LeMaker.
We can adjust and recompile the kernel when we got access to source then, only need to update the kernel in first partition.

Edited by MKT at Thu Oct 15, 2015 04:52

Ok all,
I just wanted to inform you that I also could manage to load and run my above mentioned Image to 3rd partition of eMMC without using the 'Actions Firmware Tool'.

If you are interested, here is the step-to-step guide allowing you to run your own 'rootfs' from another partition of eMMC:

Step1: Write above Image to an SD card.

Step2: Load to any existing Linux on eMMC and run the command prompt as root

Step3: Use "gdisk" to create the 3rd partition starting from next sector of existing 2nd partition to minimum size of 2.5GB. (If you have a question ask and I will post a guide for making partition by using "gdisk" as well.
Note: use "gdisk" and not "fdisk" as the eMMC is GPT. Also use PArtition type "0700" for creating the new partition.
You can use "parted" as well if you want to

Step4: Now insert the created SD to Sd card slot. Check the device by usinf "lsblk".I assume the SD card is "/dev/mmcblk1" now and eMMC will be "/dev/mmcblk0".
You can check it with "lsblk" command.

If it is, then use dd command to copy the 2nd partition of SD card , to newly created 3rd partition of eMMC:

dd if=/dev/mmcblk1p2 of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=512 conv=noerror,sync

I don't explain about the "dd" switches above as you all are guru.

Step5: Modify the "uEnv.txt" file located in /media/root/misc and change the boot partition:

Replace: root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
With     : root=/dev/mmcblk0p3

Step6: Remove the SD and reboot.
You will be in Linux loading from Partition 3 of your eMMC.

tkaiser  
Ok, either way you created it. Obviously you reused U-Boot bootloader, kernel and device tree definition from LeMaker's image.

And that's the problem because in the ARM world all the relevant stuff happens right there. We do have kernel sources (I made tests with an own compiled kernel with 1.3 GHz already) but why would you expect tweaking anything there would help. As already outlined in your thread regarding boot logo already there this problem exists (the test BMP I used has portrait dimensions with a width smaller han 1024 pixels not by accident but to see what's happening when regarding display initialisation).
So we've to get into U-Boot. And yes, we have the sources and are able to tweak. Compare the full boot output of the Roseapple Pi with the one from my review menioned above (using "LeMaker's" U-Boot) and you get the right impression whether we're dealing here with Actions Semi's SDK (let's better say somewhat modified U-Boot sources) or LeMaker special stuff.

Anyway: What is the purpose of releasing a GUI image that provides on a display the most slashy viewing experience ever?

My DELL is able to display 2560x1600 pixels. What does it get? 1920x1080 so the displays has to upscale the contents. And what do the 1920x1080 pixel contain? An already upscaled 1024x600 pixel image. So both EDID (getting the display's resolution) are broken as well as driving a display with its native resolution. It's unuseable unless you are happy with 1024x600 pixels and use LeMaker's 7" display.

tkaiser  
Great, the crappy forum software doesn't allow editing again. Anyway the interesting stuff might happen in drivers/video/owl_* and enabling debug output in include/common.h should help.

One More Tip:
As your eMMC has more than one OS now, you can Switch between your OSs by creating a shortcut on your desktop.
This will automatically change to boot partition for you in "uEnv.txt" file and will boot to other OS:

For example, assume this OS is in partition 3 of eMMC (/dev/emmcblk0p3) and we want to Switch To OS on partition 2 (/dev/mmcblk0p2).
Here are steps you need to follow:

Step1: Create a file (ex. /root/switch-os.sh) and copy this contents:
  1. #!/bin/sh
  2. sed -i -e 's/mmcblk0p3/mmcblk0p2/g' /media/root/misc/uEnv.txt
  3. reboot
Copy the Code

Step2: give it execute permission:
  1. #chmod a+x switch-os.sh
Copy the Code

Step3: Open LXTerminal in GUI and:

1. #cd /root/Desktop
  2. #lxshortcut -o SwitchOS
Copy the Code

A form will popup. hit <OK>

Step4: Then right click on newly created shortcut and select 'Properties'.
Change the Shortcut to whatever you like and in "Desktop Entry" Tab 'Browse' and select the file we had created above (switch-os.sh)

That's it... Clicking shortcut will restart the system into the other OS installed on partition 2.
You can do similar on other OS to back again.

Hope it helps,

tkaiser replied at Thu Oct 15, 2015 03:20
Ok, either way you created it. Obviously you reused U-Boot bootloader, kernel and device tree defini ...

Yes Mate, I totaly agree with you.
But, having another OS loading in your system is different than having the better display resolution.
I just made an OS and wanted to share... Thats all I could do for now... ;)

tkaiser  
sghazagh replied at Thu Oct 15, 2015 05:17
Yes Mate, I totaly agree with you.
But, having another OS loading in your system is different than ...

Hmm... I wouldn't the exchange of the rootfs with another 'ready to run' ARMv7h linux distro call a different OS. YMMV of course.

As I said a few days ago: There's no need for any of Actions Semi's tools to exchange the rootfs once that you have bootloader, kernel and .dtb in place (which is the case since Lemaker provided their first OS images). Since a few days we've also kernel and U-Boot sources available so there's no need for this stuff at all. We also don't need the ADFU eMMC flashing stuff since the Guitar being booted from SD card can happily overwrite the eMMC (yes, I still want to be able to use USB3 peripherals connected to the Guitar and don't need this crappy Micro-B connector )

Anyone not even that experienced with Linux could simply provide ArchLinux for the Guitar since it's as easy as outlined here: http://www.bananapi.com/index.ph ... tested?limitstart=0 (you don't need to rely on boot.scr/boot.cmd since the U-Boot version Actions Semi uses supports both -- uEnv.txt being preferred)

IMO the areas that need real work are

• U-Boot (display initialisation)
  • kernel (the outdated 3.10.37 kernel prevent the Guitar being used in many areas. We need at least 3.10.78 LTS. Again: "All users of the 3.10 kernel series must upgrade.")
  • hardware (efficient heatsinks glued to both SoC and PMU)
  • software that prevents the Guitar from overheating (thermal throttling not always works)

Edited by MKT at Thu Oct 15, 2015 19:14

Ok all,
It took so long to upload. Unfortunatly I cannot Edit the original post to add the link.
So, here is the Download link for "Lubuntu 15.04 (ELAR-Systems Version)":

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules