Bananian

Banana Pro doesn't boot

3 1462
Wal  
I normally hate posting these "it don't work. halp!" messages, but i seriously have no idea why my Banana Pro isn't working. I bought it yesterday, downloaded the image of the latest release of Bananian, "extracted" it to a 24 gb micro sd card via win32 imager and tried to boot the system.

After plugging the power cable in (in the "dc in" usb slot), only the red led lights up, i can't get an image of the screen via hdmi, the banana pro, which is plugged into my home network via ethernet cable, doesn't show up on my router. Then i tried out the Lubuntu und Raspbian versions directly from the lemaker download section, both they don't seem to work either, but it's a little different this time: The red and the green led light up if the pro is plugged in, (neither flash, or something like that) but the pi doesn't boot regardless, no image on the monitor, it isn't found in my home network.

I didn't have any problems like that with the regular Banana Pi and i don't think i am doing anything differently. I even tried writing the image to the sd card in two ways, via the sd card slot of my laptop and via an usb connector, to no effect. I really want to get this working, any ideas are welcome. If you need any additional information, please tell me and i'll try to provide it.

DaneM  
Edited by DaneM at Thu Oct 15, 2015 20:28

I had this problem when I first got my BananaPro (not that long ago).  The most common reason for these symptoms, according to what I could find, are:

1) Wrong OS for your model.  I first tried using Raspian, not realizing that Bananian was required.

2) Incorrect copying to MicroSD.

I'm guessing you're dealing with #2.  IIRC, Bananian comes in a compressed file, with an image inside it.  You must first decompress the image file to a location on your hard drive.  Then, use an imaging program to write it block-for-block onto your SD card.  In Linux, I recommend "dd".  This guide recommends using "dd for Windows", and has an explanation of how to do so.  The guide is for RaspberryPi, but the general steps should work.  Just make sure to replace any block/count/size numbers with the appropriate ones for your image--or leave them out, entirely (which is what I did with Linux dd).  Also make sure you replace all filenames and drive letters, as appropriate.

http://myraspberrypiexperience.b ... dd-for-windows.html

Alternatively, give this a try.  I've used it for a lot of different Linux-based OSes, and it works like a charm with most of them.  Bananian is Debian-based, so try using the "Debian" option, or one for another Debian-derivative.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/uni ... sy-as-1-2-3/#button

I hope that helps!

Make sure you use a decent power supply (2A) and a thick USB cable - my system did not run properly with a 2A supply until I got a decent (thick) cable. The recent Samsung phones come with power supplies and cables that are good for the Bananapi.

tkaiser  
johnvick replied at Sat Oct 17, 2015 21:57
Make sure you use a decent power supply (2A) and a thick USB cable - my system did not run properly  ...

It's not about the "2A" it's about undervoltage. Many USB cables are just crap. And the Micro-B-connector used to power the Bananas is crap by design (not possible to get more than 1.8A through anyway -- but the good news is: You don't need that much).

I know that the "you need more than 2A" nonsense won't stop anytime soon. But I relink it again: the problem is less voltage and not less current http://www.lemaker.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=8312

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules