Discussion

read/write speed of a HDD through Guitar USB3.0 Micro-B Receptacle

28 2977
Edited by Support-Tab at Mon Nov 2, 2015 20:15

Hello,
I got a result of read/write speed of a HDD through Guitar USB3.0 Micro-B Receptacle.
The Test Environment:
  • Boards: LeMaker Guitar Coar Board v1.3 & LeMaker Guitar Base Board Rev.B
  • HDD: Seagate 500G 5400R/min
  • FileSystem: ext4
The Test Method:
You’d better to read this page to know how to use the Guitar USB3.0 correctly first:
1.    Connect a USB3.0 HDD like this:
Guitar USB3.0 as host .jpg
2.   Change directory to the HDD(eg. cd /media/lemaker/ext4 ):
3.   Run the next cmd to test the write speed:
  1. dd if=/dev/zero of=./test.img bs=1Mcount=4096 conv=fdatasync
Copy the Code
4.   Before you test the read speed, run the next two cmd to clear the cache:
  1. sync
  2. echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
Copy the Code
And then, get the read speed:
  1. dd if=./test.img of=/dev/null bs=1M
Copy the Code
My Testing Result:
I test it three times, here is the result:

write(MB/s)
read(MB/s)

################################# 2015-10-26 ########################################
Today, I used another HDD(WD5000LPVX with SATA3) to test these data again. IMG20151026162043.jpg
The result:
write:
  1. 4096+0 records in
  2. 4096+0 records out
  3. 4294967296 bytes (4.3GB) copied, 40.8098 s, 105 MB/s
Copy the Code
read:
  1. 4096+0 records in
  2. 4096+0 records out
  3. 4294967296 bytes (4.3GB) copied, 41.6883 s, 103 MB/s
Copy the Code

Now I get a better result, just like Tido says, I need a SSD, thanks.
And i will test a SSD later.

############################### 2015-11-02 ############################
In recent days, I got a SSD(SAMSUNG 850 EVO 120G) to to test the Guitar USB3.0 interface.
IMG20151028170255.jpg
Result
write:
  1. 4096+0 records in
  2. 4096+0 records out
  3. 4294967296 bytes (4.3 GB) copied, 36.4995 s, 118 MB/s
Copy the Code
read:
  1. 4096+0 records in
  2. 4096+0 records out
  3. 4294967296 bytes (4.3 GB) copied, 40.5922 s, 106 MB/s
Copy the Code

Tido  
Hi,

To really squeeze the last performance out of the Guitar, you need a SSD.
A classic harddrive has the drawback, that it runs faster outside than inside and you didn't take a server
drive with 10000 or 15000 rpm. So your test suffer of this.

Secondly, to be accepted by the majority you have to use an accepted test procedure.
dd simply is not enough.
How about this: http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/ may be you find something else well known and accepted.

Edited by Support-Tab at Fri Oct 23, 2015 22:24
Tido replied at Fri Oct 23, 2015 17:53
Hi,

To really squeeze the last performance out of the Guitar, you need a SSD.

Hi,
Thanks for your advice!
I used to refer this link to test my HDD: https://romanrm.net/dd-benchmark
I will test the LeMaker Guitar USB3.0 with a SSD later.

Tido  
In your test environment you wrote: OS: Lemuntu

Which build did you use, I remember that TKaiser had no sucess with his Guitar in testing USB3 ?

Edited by Support-Tab at Mon Oct 26, 2015 03:29
Tido replied at Mon Oct 26, 2015 02:11
In your test environment you wrote: OS: Lemuntu

Which build did you use, I remember that TKaiser ha ...

Hi, the OS is Lemuntu 1509, and about use the Guitar as host mode(eg: to connect a  disk), please read this page first:  http://wiki.lemaker.org/LeMaker_Guitar:USB3.0 .
It says that there are two different USB 3.0 Micro-B OTG cable with different pin definition, you need be careful to buy a right one from the markete.

Tido  
Edited by Tido at Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:14
Hi, Tido
We refer the USB3.0 standard specification to design the USB 3.0 Mirco-B Receptacle  on the board. For more details , you can view the "Universal Serial Bus 3.0 Specification" in section 5.3.4.2 or "Universal Serial Bus 3.1 Specification Revision1.0" in section 5.3.3.2 which can download from the website at http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/documents_archive/.

I have to tell you, this is a bit weird.
Think about, on the post above I quote, hnsncxy quotes that it is according to standard. I assume he is a LeMaker Teammember.

You on the otherhand say, there are different cables !!
Further Tony once mentioned you have tested several cables.

If you guys would test SAMSUNG  OTG cables and they work, you could let us know the SAMSUNG partnumber that works.
SAMSUNG is available around the globe so I mentioned it, LENOVO, SONY, HTC are equivalent to SAMSUNG.
So, can you help us with a partnumber ?

Tido replied at Mon Oct 26, 2015 03:57
I have to tell you, this is a bit weird.
Think about, on the post above I quote, hnsncxy quotes tha ...

Hi, sorry for late replay, I just finished my holiday today, the USB3.0 cable I used is costumized.
And I tried several kind of USB3.0 OTG cables buied from market in China, but it seems like they can't work well on LeMaker Guitar.
I don't know if there have a useable cable in your country.

tkaiser  
Support-Tab replied at Sat Oct 31, 2015 21:52
Hi, sorry for late replay, I just finished my holiday today, the USB3.0 cable I used is costumized ...

Thanks for the confirmation that the current baseboard's USB3 implementation is simply 'broken by design' since LeMaker chose a non standard Pin mapping for which no cables exist (unless you make your own).
Two final questions: Why doesn't LeMaker answers any questions regarding shipping costs or distributors around the world? And why don't you ship such a customized cable with every baseboard since otherwise the only feature of interest (USB3) isn't useable?

tkaiser replied at Sun Nov 1, 2015 04:46
Thanks for the confirmation that the current baseboard's USB3 implementation is simply 'broken by  ...

We will provide a customoized cable for micro-B usb 3.0.
And also LeMaker has appointed Lenovator to sale guitar, the shipping cost should add into the total cost when you have ordered in lenovator.

tkaiser  
Support-Tab replied at Sun Nov 1, 2015 19:36
We will provide a customoized cable for micro-B usb 3.0.
And also LeMaker has appointed Lenovator  ...

That's all so great (just kidding). So when will this 'LeMaker doesn't follow standards' cable be available? How will it add to the costs to get something useful? For the price of the Guitar I get 1 ODROID XU4 or 2 ODROID-C1+ -- why should anyone buy a Guitar when USB3 isn't useable right now? Why don't you include such a cable with every baseboard?
Regarding shipping: http://forum.lemaker.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=22683 (people are asking, LeMaker isn't answering)

Regarding Levonator's shop: Did you ever visited it? It's a bad joke! There is no information about shipping costs. Maybe after one signs up. But am I'm an idiot to sign up in an online shop that forces me to 'hereby agreeing' to its terms and conditions that are written nowhere? Nope.

To sum it up: LeMaker doesn't want to sell this piece of hardware

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules