Other

Lubuntu\'s Epiphany performances ?

35 1651
Edited by MKT at Mon Nov 9, 2015 00:04

Hello,

For those who are testing the Guitar ... what do you think about Epiphanie perfromances ?
On my Jessy's Guitar, it is totaly unusable :
  • more than 3 minutes to (incompletely) load Youtube's home page
  • on my own website, it faces difficulties to follow links
  • and as soon as launched it consume at least a full core

And it seems Midori is not anymore available on this Ubuntu

So, did you tested web surfing with Epiphany or w/ another browser ?

Tido  
Hi,

tkaiser reported me the same as you mentioned.
I do not consider this device as Desktop replacement. It may be working with KODI so you could use it as
playback /streaming-device.

Have you tried headless things like Webserver with personal Wiki or such?

Hum, it's strange because it's working well on the BananaPro which has a less powerfull CPU

I'll try with some other browser.

Tido  
Well, the LeMaker Team does not follow the typical FOSS rule release early, release often.
May be this fix helps you, probably other things have been fixed as well.

The Lemuntu release is still from 15. Sept. and this although they have released the Guitar !
This is weird to me.

Edited by destroyedlolo at Thu Oct 29, 2015 14:18
Tido replied at Thu Oct 29, 2015 08:22
Well, the LeMaker Team does not follow the typical FOSS rule release early, release often.
May be th ...

Yes, and I think this is the BIG problème with LeMaker: they hurry up with the hardware to follow the market but are not thinking about end users.
If we take the example of the BananaPI/Pro : the board is really EXCELLENT, but the support is poor and not adequate for average end users. Only advanced users like us can make the board really useable. That's the big difference with the Raspberry and what makes the rPI a big success.
I can understand they are counting on community support : ok, but in this case there must be clearly indicated for published software/OS :
  • what is working / not working (USB3, hardware accelleration, ...)
  • problems on way
  • when next release
  • UPGRADE procedure : how to switch from one release to another one without full reinstallation.

Frankly speaking, I don't care about BananaPI because I built my own Gentoo and I'm perfectly happy and autonomous with this board (the problem is the lack of central knowledges sharing plateform, everything, is geopardized around the web).

But the Guitar is a totally new board and I don't have to time to restart from the begining.

tkaiser  
Lemuntu is simply unuseable as a desktop system. Both LeMaker's inability to get the device tree config right to view an unscaled image on a HDMI display and the GUI components prevent the Guitar being used together with Lemuntu for GUI purposes. Epiphany in Lemuntu totally sucks.
And I really doubt they get their OS image releases in a way upgradeable like eg. Armbian. I also doubt we will ever see mainline kernel support for the SoC. And since I just checked prices in Europe including the usual stuff the Guitar is simply dead in my opinion:

http://www.innet24.de/LeMaker-Gu ... -Rev-B::124036.html
http://www.innet24.de/LeMaker-Gu ... rboard::125031.html
http://www.innet24.de/LeMaker-Gu ... rboard::125032.html

How much will Baseboard version D with integrated USB hub and GBit Ethernet cost?

For Baseboard version B you've to add the necessary USB 3 hub, an GBit-Ethernet-USB adapter and an USB drive enclosure... and then you're already above 100 bucks. No, thanks.

Edited by destroyedlolo at Thu Oct 29, 2015 14:36

40€ looks ok to me ... 80€ for the same board is simply a joke I'll really feedup with European dealers that took indecent margins : a simple ds18b20 cost to me ~0.80€ from a well known China dealer for ... up to 6€ from an European one : they are simply killing there own business !

What will kill this board is simply the lack of proper software : I'm participating as well on Raspberry forum (even if I don't own this board) for discussing about smart housing and IoT ... and clearly 90% of people want something that is running out of the box.
If they have to cheat, they will give up.

I'll continue with other browsers ...

tkaiser  
destroyedlolo replied at Thu Oct 29, 2015 07:32
40€ looks ok to me ... 80€ for the same board is simply a joke  I'll really feedup with European ...

What's the alternative? LeMaker points only to lenovator.com. There they say the bundle of core and base board costs $45. Including shipping or not? What are the shipping costs and terms? Nobody knows! What about VAT and customs when you let the stuff send to Europe? What if they fail to declare the package contents correctly as it happens all the times when ordering stuff via aliexpress? It will take me two hours of lifetime to get to the customs if the seller made any mistake.
Again shipping costs/terms: Here they say I should write an email or even call them to get such basic informations. If I put the bundle into my shopping cart at lenovator.com I first have to sign up to be able to order or get an idea about shipping costs and so on. But when I try to sign up I thereby agree to 'terms of service' that I'm not able to read since there is nothing linked:

Where is the information whether the hardware is compliant to FCC/CE rules? Without knowing that I'm not able to decide whether the Guitar can be part of a product I develop or not. Simple conclusion: They don't want to sell their hardware.

hnsncxy  
Edited by hnsncxy at Thu Oct 29, 2015 09:45
tkaiser replied at Thu Oct 29, 2015 05:34
Lemuntu is simply unuseable as a desktop system. Both LeMaker's inability to get the device tree con ...

The display problem can't be solved by modifying simply the Linux Device Tree , and the new display structure are developing.
About the Lemuntu system, if you meet any bugs and have any advance suggestions , welcome feedback to us.   Thanks

hnsncxy replied at Thu Oct 29, 2015 16:34
About the Lemuntu system, if you meet any bugs and have any advance suggestions , welcome feedback to us.

In this case

• Epiphany simply doesn't work at all.
  • The Jessy provided with my own Guitar can't logon : LXDE's configuration file is missing. To solve this issue, simply remove ~lemaker/.config and reboot
  • I'm really worrying about the CPU heat : even w/o load, it is very hot ... what will happen when I'll be able to use the GPU, i.e, while playing a video ?

Thanks

Laurent

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules