Other

Lubuntu\'s Epiphany performances ?

35 1657
tkaiser  
hnsncxy replied at Thu Oct 29, 2015 09:34
The display problem can't be solved by modifying simply the Linux Device Tree , and the new display ...

"Lemuntu" is Debian based. Why don't you setup an apt repository (eg. apt.lemaker.org) where you can fix these annoying issues and provide users with the ability to upgrade the 'usual way' (apt-get update, apt-get upgrade)?!

Where is guitar-config? This tool should be part of Lemuntu and in its menu the user should be able to select an appropriate combination of resolutions (both LCD and HDMI) and guitar-config replaces the .dtb file on the first partition afterwards.

And please don't point me to http://wiki.lemaker.org/LeMaker_Guitar:Configure_HDMI_resolution -- this is just a bad joke.

tkaiser  
destroyedlolo replied at Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:03
what will happen when I'll be able to use the GPU, i.e, while playing a video ?

That's easy. After approximately 10-12 minutes the SoC reaches 125°C and the Guitar shuts down. Best user experience ever.

If LeMaker would take care they wouldn't advertise the Guitar being capable of running at 1.3 GHz since 1.1 GHz are enough. And they would ship with effective heatsinks applied to both SoC and PMIC since both ICs tend to overheat quickly.

Since both temperatures can be read out easily using sysfs it's a rather simple task to configure RPi-Monitor to display them (no need to run a daemon in the background as it's necessary with Allwinner's A20)

So, I almost finished my tests :

• I've been able to play a 720p video smoothly, but 1080p one was a bit laggy. Both where very strongly compressed. The CPU goes up to 90°C which is clearly too high. The solution is obviously to put a heat sink ... but in this case, I'm not sure, there will be enough free space for an expension board.
  • Epiphany is a shit, Iceweasel rulez ! With the later, I've been able to surf w/o issue ... so the problem came from Epiphani : normal, it's the browser selected by Ubuntu (this distribution is really doing bad publicity for Linux, every time I have to play with it, it re-enforces my choice for Gentoo ).
Browsing is a bit slow ...

I'll compare with what I've got with the BananaPro as it wasn't as impressive as I tought.

ChrisP  
That's Strange, because I do not observe at all the same behavior with Android.

1080p video is smooth up to 40~50 Mbps bitrate with decent CPU usage. I will validate the temperature tracking and make a longer test to check .

The problem is I don't have the hardware acceleration. I've tried to follow LeMaker's guide for GPU, but it doesn't work : pvrsrvkm doesn't exists, even in the downloaded tarball.

1. find GPU_For_LeMaker_Guitar_201510/ -name '*pvrsrvkm*'
Copy the Code

hnsncxy  
Edited by hnsncxy at Sat Oct 31, 2015 07:55
tkaiser replied at Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:32
"Lemuntu" is Debian based. Why don't you setup an apt repository (eg. apt.lemaker.org) where you c ...

We have provide a tool  which can help you to configure generic functions at http://forum.lemaker.org/thread-22521-1-1.html , and it is named sys-config.
If we are just to re-configure HDMI resolution by modifying the Linux DTS, not include the uboot DTS, it may result in the display abnormal, Therefore, we can't do it according to your mentioned at present. However, the newer display structure will solve the problem in the end of November.

We have planned to build apt repository for the lemuntu system,it may be built in the December, Thanks for your suggestions.

hnsncxy  
tkaiser replied at Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:36
That's easy. After approximately 10-12 minutes the SoC reaches 125°C and the Guitar shuts down. Be ...

We have fixed the temperature control bug, and The LeMaker Guitar throttling start when the internal temperature of the CPU reached the 95°,If it reached the 115° and the LeMaker Guitar will automatically shutdown. We will release the newer system image in the next week.
If the Guitar continues to work with 1.3G, and suggest you use it with fan, continues to work with 1.1G, suggest you use it with effective heatsinks. To make better use of the Lemaker Guitar,  The Lemaker Guitar will stick the heatsink in the following new board by default.

hnsncxy  
destroyedlolo replied at Thu Oct 29, 2015 14:00
I've been able to play a 720p video smoothly, but 1080p one was a bit laggy. Both where very strongly compressed.         

If you want to play the 1080P video smoothly, you had better to enable video decoder engine, and you can consider to refer to the wiki at http://wiki.lemaker.org/LeMaker_Guitar:Video_decoder_engine ,The Lemedia enable video decoder engine by default. You can try to use it play  1080P video.

hnsncxy  
destroyedlolo replied at Sat Oct 31, 2015 06:12
The problem is I don't have the hardware acceleration. I've tried to follow LeMaker's guide for GPU, ...

You can download newer platform firmware package which include pvrsrvkm driver for GPU, and please visit the website at https://github.com/LeMaker/hwpac ... ster/lemaker_guitar

hnsncxy replied at Sat Oct 31, 2015 15:29
We have fixed the temperature control bug, and The LeMaker Guitar throttling start when the intern ...

Thanks for your reply.

1/ First of all, about the heatsink : won't it be a problem with daughterboards pluged on the 40p connector (a.k.a raspberry hats) ?

2/ About *ubuntu, please take care on what is provided out of the box by Ubuntu : most of the time, it's only a collection of shits and craps ! As an example, Epiphany won't work at all. Another example is provided PCManFM lacks network capabilities. Idem with LXDE that doesn't start only due to a stupid misconfiguration, etc, etc, etc ...
Personnaly, I gave up for a long time with Ubuntu as I was feedup to deal with brain damaged choices of instable softwares whereas good one exists. I can't imagine what will be the result for your board (and Linux at all), if you send your board with Lubuntu to a journalist that is not aware of Ubuntu "features". Please consider about more decent distribution.

3/ Speaking about that : where can I find the source code of GPU stuffs ? If I want to install Gentoo, I can't use (well, I can, but it's tricky) debian packages.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules