Other

Lubuntu\'s Epiphany performances ?

35 1658
tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Sun Nov 1, 2015 05:41
hnsncxy replied at Sat Oct 31, 2015 07:51
If we are just to re-configure HDMI resolution by modifying the Linux DTS, not include the uboot DTS, it may result in the display abnormal, Therefore, we can't do it according to your mentioned at present.

Of course you can. You need a few known working u-boot configs including the device tree changes and afterwards you've to overwrite the sectors on SD-card containing u-boot.

In Armbian for example u-boot will be updated the very same way using 'apt' (u-boot gets installed as a BLOB somewhere and the postinstall hook then overwrites the sectors at the beginning of SD-card/NAND)

hnsncxy  
Edited by hnsncxy at Sun Nov 1, 2015 04:46
destroyedlolo replied at Sat Oct 31, 2015 09:37
Thanks for your reply.

1/ First of all, about the heatsink : won't it be a problem with daughterbo ...

We have considered the height of the heatsink. In order to compatible with most of extend board and choose a piece of ceramic heatsink with 6mm by default.
We only release the ubuntu mate system at present, and it use the firefox browser and caja File Manager by default.  welcome you to feedback more questions.
We have released the source code for the Guitar in the past , please check the driver source code for the GPU  at https://github.com/LeMaker/linux ... ter/drivers/gpu/pvr .You can refer to the following wiki tutorial to compile with the source code.
http://wiki.lemaker.org/LeMaker_ ... _LeMaker_Guitar_BSP

hnsncxy  
tkaiser replied at Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:01
Of course you can. You need a few known working u-boot configs including the device tree changes an ...

Thanks for your suggestions. we will consider to support to update uboot from the apt repository in the December.

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Sun Nov 1, 2015 06:03
hnsncxy replied at Sun Nov 1, 2015 04:28
We have considered the height of the heatsink. In order to compatible with most of extend board and ...

This doesn't change the situation since this will be a heat source and if your customers operate the device horizontally then both heat sources (SoC and PMU -- the latter gets also freaking hot!) below an Add-On will lead to a high surrounding temperature. A heatsink without enough air around tends to get useless over time. And due to the placement of the GPIO pin header you can also not use a large (and therefore quiet) fan effectively if you need GPIO Add-Ons.

And when throttling jumps in the S500 will be slower than when clocked at a lower speed without the need to throttle down. I made extensive tests with temperatures and throttling. When the thermal trigger value will be reached then the CPU frequency will automatically be adjusted to the minimum frequency: http://forum.armbian.com/index.p ... kers-guitar/?p=2083

That means if the system is under load and the temps will get in this range then the Guitar will be SLOWER compared to a more conservative setting (maximum clock frequency lower than the default 1.1 GHz). Since you already said the following it's clear that you have to clock the Guitar with just 900 MHz to run constantly under full load. Since otherwise the CPU frequency will always jump between 1.1GHz and 408 MHz!
We have fixed the temperature control bug, and The LeMaker Guitar throttling start when the internal temperature of the CPU reached the 95°

For a high performance setup it might even be necessary to compile an own kernel and to adjust the minimum frequency from 408 MHz to eg. 720 MHz to let the system jump between 1.1 GHz and 720 MHz and not 408 MHz instead.

The S500's thermal issues are simply a showstopper if you want a performant SBC.

Edited by destroyedlolo at Sun Nov 1, 2015 17:43

It doesn't work even with VDE : players complains about /dev/ion

Anyway, I did enough tests to have a first opinion on the board, to summarize :
  • performances are enough for basic desktop useages
  • browsing as well ... as long as you use decent browser. The only bad point is for Flash video playing like youtube's (I don't think vidéo are accelered when using flash technologies, isn't it ?)
  • playing video is ok as well up to 720p.

The very bad point is heating : I'm sure I can't do everything I'm currently doing on my Bananas (i.e. : background video encoding) because or it will shutdown, or it will fry. My main Banana server is in a candy box in my basement : I can't do that with the guitar for the same reason.

So I'll make a first review, amphasing most of the problems come from Ubuntu and not the board itself. And I'll publish another one later when I'll have the time to install Mubuntu. Can you please confirm with Mubuntu
  • hardware acceleration will be activated ?
  • sound will be available as well ?

Thanks

Laurent

Comments

YouTube: with current browser you can use HTML5 - no Flash  Post time Nov 02, 2015 01:11

Can you please tell me also if there is a plan to integrate the S500 in mainline kernel ?

YouTube: with current browser you can use HTML5 - no Flash

Yes, I know, but Flash is still widely used w/o alternative on many other site (games, other video providers, ...)
The main question is to know what is accelerated and what isn't

hnsncxy  
tkaiser replied at Sun Nov 1, 2015 06:00
This doesn't change the situation since this will be a heat source and if your customers operate th ...

We are optimizing the Linux Software for the temperature, and it may reduce around 8-10 degrees, as with Android.

hnsncxy  
Edited by hnsncxy at Mon Nov 2, 2015 19:48
destroyedlolo replied at Sun Nov 1, 2015 10:40
It doesn't work even with VDE : players complains about /dev/ion

Anyway, I did enough tests to h ...

The Guitar doesn't support  hardware acceleration for flash video playing at present. It use the software decoder when you play the video by using the Flash, so it will have higher CPU utilization. In this case, you can consider to reduce frequency of the CPU to 900MHZ or 720MHZ, for more information about the frequency, please visit the wiki at http://wiki.lemaker.org/LeMaker_Guitar:CPU_frequency_scaling
The Ubuntu Mate has installed the GPU driver by default , and you can install the "glmark2-es2" tool to test the preformance of the GPU.
The sound can work well, and you can refer to the following method to switch the default channel.
  1. vim /etc/pulse/default.pa
  2. replace #load-module module-alsa-sink" with  
  3. "load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,1"    ----------------------  HMDI  OUTPUT
  4. "load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,0"     ----------------------  3.5mm Jack OUTPUT
Copy the Code
Then reboot your system.

hnsncxy  
Edited by hnsncxy at Mon Nov 2, 2015 20:06
destroyedlolo replied at Sun Nov 1, 2015 12:13
Can you please tell me also if there is a plan to integrate the S500 in mainline kernel ?

Yes, We also hope to be able to commit the code to mainline kernel.  However, the code may not meet requirements at current phase, and need to do more optimization.  We hope you can optimize the code with us. Thanks

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules