Bananian

Can the USB OTG configured into a third USB port?

10 1770
Pardon me, please, if this is a FAQ. I really used search engines there (watch the plural!), but I did not find an answer that I could understand. I have the "simple" Banana Pi, not the Pro version, and I really could use the OTG port as a third simple USB port to connect some other USB devices.

I'd be very thankful if someone could tell me in simple words if this is possible at all, and if it is, please kick me into the right direction where to find a howto for this. I promise I won't complain about the kick! ;-)
Which os are you using?

In Bananian I think the OTG is configured as USB-host...which is what you want.

The OTG port can be enabled/disabled and configured as slave/host/otg through a "fex" file in the sdcard's 1st partition.

You might want to go through the user manual page 58 for the exact process to edit that file.
Banana Pro/Pi User Manual

As this threat is named: (the latest version of) Bananian 15.08

In Bananian I think the OTG is configured as USB-host

If this is so, then I suppose I need a special OTG adapter. I have such an adapter, and it works perfektly on all my Android devices: I can plug in every keyboard and every mouse and use them with Android. But when I use the same adapter on Bananian, nothing happens: no mouse, no keyboard connected to it is found.

Sorry I overlooked the fact that I was in the Bananian section.

Have you used "banian-config" to set up the otg port?

Actually, I had not untill yesterday, because it always gave me the warning that it might make the system unbootable. Encouraged by your question, I finally did so. And guess what? My Banana became unbootable!

It starts, though, but it never stops finding devices when the OTG adapter is plugged in. So I started again without the adapter, ssh-ed into the machine and set it back to "Banana" without OTG. After the reboot it told me that the file system was corrupt. So I put the SD-card into my PC and ran fsck on it. After that, the Banana finally booted again without any error.

So, I guess it's true than what some pages say: the OTG port is not quite usable as a normal USB port (yet). I really hope this will change in the future, because a third USB port really comes in handy, especially when it has a mini USB connector, which makes it possible to use smaller cables in certain cases, e.g. if you put the board together with some additional hardware into one small case.

If you would like to experiment,you may try the "script.bin" mentioned in this post.
It did work for someone long back. ...no guarantees though.
http://forum.lemaker.org/forum.p ... 07&fromuid=2627

I feel a bit discouraged now, after the misbehaving boot. And as far as I read getting that script isn't actually as easy as pie... ;)

sashijoseph replied at Dec 03, 2015 10:18
Which os are you using?

In Bananian I think the OTG is configured as USB-host...which is what you w ...

"You might want to go through the user manual page 58 for the exact process to edit that file.
Banana Pro/Pi User Manual"...

Unfortunately that manual link only shows 19 pages.   

sashijoseph replied at Dec 03, 2015 10:18
Which os are you using?

In Bananian I think the OTG is configured as USB-host...which is what you w ...

No, it's configured as "USB-OTG" in the script.bin.

If you want to configure it as a host you need to change it in the script.bin:

http://linux-sunxi.org/Fex_Guide#USB_control_flags

If you need to know how to do this, let me know and i will write a short summary.

Hi,

tried it with "user manual page 58". But script.bin seems to be gone away with 16.04 and 4.4 kernel.

root@bananapi /mnt # mount
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /mnt type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
root@bananapi /mnt # ls -lah
total 5.5M
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root  16K Jan  1  1970 .
drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 4.0K Jan  8 01:26 ..
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 1.6K Aug 16  2015 boot.cmd
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 1.7K Aug 16  2015 boot.scr
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 8.0K Apr 15  2016 dtb
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 5.5M Apr 15  2016 uImage-next
Can someone give me advise how to change it with the new kernel? OTG is now disabled by default and I want to enable it again.

Please respond here. -> http://forum.lemaker.org/forum.p ... amp;extra=#pid94001

Thanks,
*p

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules