NAS

Banana Cluster

10 3163
cyryllo  
Edited by cyryllo at Dec 21, 2015 18:00

Cluster.png
I start new project BananaCluster.
Cluster for home calculations.It will be used for the calculations of the MPI (Mpich). To connect the drive will be used AUFS. More soon!

Case: Laser cut and printed 3D http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1216057 (work in progress)
System: soon! (based on Bananian) instaled: OMV, mpich, mysql, apache2 .....
BananaCluster.png BananaCluster_tyl.png
Parts:
4x Banana Pro (or Banana Pi)
4x 2.5" HDD
1x Switch TP-LINK  TL-SG105 (or TL-SG105E)
4x SATA Line http://www.lenovator.com/product/32.html
1x power supply 5V 8A (or 4x 5V/2A)
1x LCD 4x20 (with i2c module)

MKT  
Micro Data center ?

can we use it in predicting traffic jam?

cyryllo  
MKT replied at Dec 22, 2015 02:36
Micro Data center ?

can we use it in predicting traffic jam?

Yes
Yes ;)

tkaiser  
Is this the attempt to build the slowest cluster in the world? The A20's CPU performance is risible compared to other SoCs and there exist ARM SoCs where you can utilise the GPU cores through MPI/OpenCL. Why using Bananas for this purpose?

cyryllo  
tkaiser replied at Dec 22, 2015 09:48
Is this the attempt to build the slowest cluster in the world? The A20's CPU performance is risible  ...

Because now I have only BPro in such quantity. As if I had a BPI-m3 it would be better

tkaiser  
cyryllo replied at Dec 22, 2015 03:26
Because now I have only BPro in such quantity. As if I had a BPI-m3 it would be better

BPi-M3 better? LOL! It's so funny that people always just look on theoretical hardware specs and never check what they really get.

The A83T/H8 with 8 slow Cortex-A7 cores with thermal issues should be better? When you're concentrating on 'el cheapo' CPU power then the upcoming Orange Pi Zero might be an idea for a cluster. There you get 4 A7 cores running at up to 1296 MHz for $10. A H3 core is as fast as an A83T/H8 core when running at the same clockspeed. And since you won't be able to clock the A83T higher than 1.3 GHz without a lot of fans (and a better enclosure design than yours) thinking about the M3 is just a joke when you compare to the price/performance ratio of H3 based boards.

But again: If you really want a performant ARM based cluster ignoring OpenCL/GPU is the wrong way...

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Dec 22, 2015 09:40

BTW: You get 12 Orange Pi PC for less than the price of 3 BPi-M3 . And unless you solder a sane DC-IN solution you won't be able to run the Banana Pi M3 constantly above 1.2 GHz since they chose an inappropriate DC-IN connector:

http://linux-sunxi.org/Banana_Pi ... ing_vs._consumption

That means using 12 Orange Pi PC you get a total of 48 Cortex-A7 cores being able to run at up to 1296 MHz. For the same price when relying on the A83T you end up with just 24 Cortex-A7 cores running at the *same* clockspeed (2 1/2 Banana Pi M3). The H3 approach is twice as fast at the same costs.

And since the Orange Pi PC is 85 mm × 55 mm in size you can design a fancy hexagon with 6 boards each in a row that has a height of 250 mm and an inner diameter of less than 120 mm. When the SoCs are on the inner side heatsinks and 2 silent 120mm fans on top and bottom are enough to let the whole 48 CPU cores run reliable even when clocked at the upper speed permanently.

Like this, twice as tall, smaller diameter and the hot stuff in the middle. That would be a *cool* cluster design :-)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11 ... 296/in/photostream/

Why designing boxes with inappropriate airflow when you can build a sexy hexagon that is able to cool the stuff with minimum efforts and minimum noise?

BTW: What applies to the Orange Pi PC might also apply to a Guitar based approach. But since LeMaker produces no suitable baseboards...

cyryllo  
tkaiser replied at Dec 22, 2015 16:33
BTW: You get 12 Orange Pi PC for less than the price of 3 BPi-M3 . And unless you solder a sane DC-I ...

I understand your point of view. But I don't have other motherboards than Banana PRO. The purchase of 12 Orange Pi PC will cost  260$ + tax + duty. Switch with 14 ports is also quite an expense. I fully PRO and they intend to do projects.

Have a good day

tkaiser  
When you really rely on A20 based boards then the thermal design doesn't matter that much.

But I still fail to understand why no one constructs cases that help with heat dissipation.

All modern SoCs are prone to overheating and come with kernels where thermal throttling is implemented. Trying to use such SoCs in a cluster without efficient heat dissipation in mind is somewhat strange since you won't be able to use the real performance the devices might provide when designing the case appropriate: position of components, maximum heat dissipation regarding SoC surface, use of large/silent fans and so on

cyryllo  
DSC01922.jpg DSC01923.jpg DSC01924.jpg DSC01925.jpg DSC01926.jpg
Still working ;)

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules