save life of sd-card: ramlog & nodiratime

12 1425
Hi @all,

I'm new here in this forum with my Banana Pro I got today. I had a Raspberry B before and now I try to configure the BananaPro with Bananian the way I configured the Raspberry. I'm not a Linux-Crack but I will do my best and red a lot.

My Raspberry I configured with the wide known ramlog-script from
Now I wonder why I can't find any information about installing it on Bananian - when I try it there are unsolved problems and I don't know if it is ok to force an installation to solve it.

I also red that a ramlog service is available on wheezy but not on jessy I have installed now.

Then I looked into fstab to set the nodiratime parameter but the fstab is empty so I don't know what to do now.

Thanks a lot and sorry for my english ;-)

Ramlog is not compatible with Systemd which is default on Jessie. We try to fix this but job was never completely finished.

BTW: Armbian is using ramlog by default on Wheezy version for past two years / since start. There are also more SD card friendly tweaks.

Edited by itsy at Dec 31, 2015 10:45

Hello Igor,

thank you for your reply. Of cource I know your Armbian and I really thought of installing it. But I like to use the BananaPi as a leightweight server without Display and you has Pre-installed: Firefox, LibreOffice Writer, Thunderbird and Lightweight XFCE desktop. So it also is configured for using grafik output and the full power ist not only on server-tasks, right?
And as a noob I don't know how to use your great features without the stuff I don't need ;-)  

Thanks a lot

Look again

I only provide one desktop image, the rest is CLI (Server), various base variants.

Oh I did not realize - sorry for that ;-)

So for my usecase Debian Jessie with Legacy-Kernel would be the right ?

It depend, you might also go for kernel 4.3.3 ... recommended for all kind of server scenarios.

ok, great - i choose the 4.3.3 - you have a new fan :-)

I copied the image to sd and start the Banana. Then I wanted to go through your dokumentation and tried:

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

but I got the errormessage:

update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported; falling back to defaults

What to do now? Did I anything wrong?

Also I'am not able to start WLAN:

wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

service networking restart
wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return code 1
Failed to bring up wlan0.

The Setup for Bananian I tried before with Bananian also does not work.

Any Ideas?

Edited by igorpec at Dec 31, 2015 18:53

On kernel 4.x there is different wifi driver - brcmfmac and you might need to copy /dtb/bananapipro.dtb over /dtb/bananapi.dtb ... or change / force path in boot.cmd to point to dtb/bananapipro.dtb

BTW: Warning is not error ;)

Ok, after your post I red a lot of using this dtb, I did not know before, and now, with your hint,  it works :-)

Thanks a lot!!!

Do you have a hint for me about this warning of dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration?

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules