Trouble

Your wifi mac address is 00:90:4c:11:22:33

1 3036
Edited by edfardos at Jan 26, 2016 08:15

I now have multiple banana pro's in my house, and noticed the wireless lan adapters all have the same mac address.  This is problematic, to say the least.  Is there any easy way to change the mac address?   

I tried some of the Linux examples here, most of which failed:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MAC_address_spoofing

I also read an obscure reference to setting the mac via the script.bin file?  This also fails:   
   [dynamic]
   MAC = "00904c112234"

The driver loads an nvram file:  /lib/firmware/ap6210/nvram_ap6210.txt, which has a line that reads "macaddr=00:90:4c:07:71:12",
but that's obviously irrelevant.

At one point after issuing a reset on the device (with rfkill) it came up with an entirely new random
mac address -- even the vendor string changed.  I can't replicate it now, but it's something to be aware of.

The only thing I got to work on Lubuntu was to add this /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/00macspoof
    ip link set dev wlan2 down
    macchanger -m  00:90:4c:11:22:34 wlan2
    ip link set dev wlan2 up

For unknown reasons NetworkManager calls that script before it assigns an IP.  It also fails to pass the
interface name (wlan2) on the command line, so it runs for eth0 too.

NetworkManager is an epic failure on Linux, completley non-determinsitic, so I'd like to change the mac
address at a lower level if possible.

thanks!
-edfardos

I also have encountered this problem before. Then:
Solution 1: Do not use the Network Manager, change to wpa_supplicant or something else
Solution 2: write a script to modify the wifi mac address at boot time

But both of this are not low-level.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules