Discussion

advancemame runs great on Banana Pi!

2 675
danboid  
Edited by danboid at Feb 27, 2016 04:22

I'm happy to report I've got MAME running amazingly well under Arch on my Banana Pi -  this includes playing 16 bit games from the late 80's and early 90's full screen with sound and USB joypad support! I can't quite believe just how well MAME runs and how many classic arcade games it lets you play perfectly on a £30 computer!

sdlmame is unbearably slow on the BPi and whilst recent versions of AdvanceMAME fare a bit better they're still too slow to be playable. MAME4ALL and MAME4ALL-Pi can build and run on the BPi with some tweaking and provide the most speed but their ROM compatibility leaves a lot to be desired. My research and experience indicates that older versions of AdvanceMAME provide the best balance between speed, features and ROM compatibility for low to mid end ARM machines. Specifically, advmame 0.94 seems to be when advmame reached its performance peak.

I am including the Arch PKGBUILD I used to build advmame 0.94 for those who want to build it themselves but, be warned, it takes about 2 1/4 hours to build advmame 0.94 on the BPi so I've attached a zip containing an Arch binary package for those who just want to get going.

After installing advmame, run it once with no options and that will create the ~/.advance folder which amongst other things contains the advmame.rc config file and the rom folder where you need to copy any ROM zip files you wish to play. If you want advmame to run fullscreen, edit ~/.advance/advmame.rc so that:
  1. device_video_output auto
Copy the Code

Is commented or removed and add the line:

1. device_video_output fullscreen
Copy the Code

Enjoy!

1. # AdvanceMAME 0.94 for Arch ARM Linux PKGBUILD
  2. pkgname=advancemame
  3. pkgver=0.94.0
  4. pkgrel=1
  5. pkgdesc="Unofficial MAME version with an advanced video support for helping the use with TVs, Arcade Monitors, Fixed Frequencies Monitors and also for PC Monitors"
  6. arch=('i686' 'x86_64' 'armv7h')
  7. url="http://www.advancemame.it"
  8. depends=('sdl' 'alsa-lib' 'expat' 'freetype2' 'slang')
  9. license=('GPL')
  10. source=("http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/${pkgname}/${pkgname}/${pkgver}/${pkgname}-${pkgver}.tar.gz")
  11. md5sums=('9081296d33bfeb69552b12d56e346bcb')

12. build() {
  13.   cd $srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver
  14.   ./configure --prefix=/usr || return 1
  15.   make || return 1
  16. }

17. package() {
  18.   cd $srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver
  19.   make bindir="${pkgdir}/usr/bin/" \
  20.        datadir="${pkgdir}/usr/share/" \
  21.        mandir="${pkgdir}/usr/share/man/" \
  22.        pkgdocdir="${pkgdir}/usr/share/doc/${pkgname}/" \
  23.        install
  24. }
Copy the Code

advancemame-0.94.zip

7.34 MB, Downloads: 12

rahu  
Click on this link to visit the designer web page of Microsoft Games for Windows 8 and Windows 10. Click the among the several download links readily available on the download page to get Microsoft Games for Windows 8 and Windows 10 RAR documents. Enter your management password to verify the installment of Play mahjongg tiatns online.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules