Discussion

Power consumption

9 13907
TooMeeK  
Post Last Edited by TooMeeK at 2014-8-8 19:55

My new power meter just arrived, so here's test on Banana Pi and it's dedicated white power supply 230V 5V 2A.
Max 3.1W
Avg/idle 2.0W
Min 1.8W

Power meter details:
min. measured wattage: 0.1W
accuracy: +/- 1%

CPU settings (Lubuntu):
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_min_freq
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq
20140807_181301.jpg
Arda  
Thanks for the results, so, can we say a 5W adapter should suffice if no devices on USB attached?

Post Last Edited by thatsbanana at 2014-8-7 16:22

Here is a more detailed test of the Banana and Raspberry pi.

Mostly under 500 mA (2,5 Watt), up to 1100 mA (5.1 Watt) with an HDD attached.

So a 1.2 A power device should be enough for most people.

http://hardware-libre.fr/2014/06 ... d-sata-performance/

The Banana and OLinuXino are far more powerfull than a Raspberry B, with a lower power consumption.

for security i prefer a 2A power device.

the banana pi power comsumption is a 10% less than the mele a1000 with a10 processor.

AlterX  
Can you please try with 2 wifi dongles at same time + SD card?
I can't get it worked with both wifi dongles attacched at same time

I did some test with a 500mA power supply and my bPI booted with raspbian
But it shutdown as soon as I open a web browser but I think it is enough for a headless server ... but without HD attached.

With mechanical HD, I think also it is safer to use 2A PS ... as there is a pick of consumption during spin-up.

jekader  
Guys, did anyone measure the approximate power consumption of a BPI-R1 + SATA HDD installed? I'm looking for an appropriate power supply, thinking of a compact 2A one [1] but not sure if this will be enough

[1] http://www.dx.com/p/zzz-306593

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Wed Mar 25, 2015 08:28
jekader replied at Tue Mar 24, 2015 14:44
did anyone measure the approximate power consumption of a BPI-R1 + SATA HDD installed?

It's an easy one. If you use the crappy Micro-USB connector then you can't provide more than 1.8A to the board caused by the tiny connectors. If you use other methods you can provide more than 1.8A but that's useless too. You might run into under-voltage problems with every sort of Banana (either made by LeMaker or SinoVoip) and the BP-R1 has its own problems regarding SATA power: Search the threads here for an explanation of the problem and possible workarounds: http://bananapi.com/index.php/forum/general (the SinoVoip forum is pretty useless for anything else but discussion of SinoVoip hardware problems like the router board's SATA power problem and possible fixes)

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Wed Mar 25, 2015 09:23
jekader replied at Tue Mar 24, 2015 14:44
I'm looking for an appropriate power supply, thinking of a compact 2A one

Since you might experience voltage drops I would better go with a PSU with a fixed cable with large diameters and that's able to provide 5.1V (or 5.25V) even when current maxes out at 1.5A. I made a few test a while ago to get a clue how A20 based boards like the Banana Pi behave thermally under high load when overclocked. When clocked with 1200 MHz and while being fully utilized using the 'stress' test tool the consumption of the Banana Pi itself never exceeded 600mA/5V:

Unless you do not connect power hungry USB peripherals but just a single 2.5" HDD or a SSD then 1.5A should be enough.

jekader  
Edited by jekader at Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:30
tkaiser replied at Wed Mar 25, 2015 08:25
Since you might experience voltage drops I would better go with a PSU with a fixed cable with larg ...

Thanks for the great advice.
I ordered a cheapo 2A/12W power supply. Planning to use the BPI-R1 as a router+NAS combo so I expect this to be enough.

PS: I tested with a semi-dead SSD - it was detected but gave all kinds of errors. As the SSD is known to be faulty I just removed it. Will re-test once I have a spare 2.5 HDD to play with.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules