Other OS

Graphics are very slow

4 567
Lincoln  
I'm using the Debian from https://builds.96boards.org/releases/hikey/linaro/debian/15.11. The notes on that page say "The Linaro HiSilicon Landing Team is pleased to announce the new release of the Linaro Linux release for HiKey. The Linaro Linux 15.11 release is a Debian-based Linaro Build ..." and state that the build includes

• "Support for OpenGL ES."
  • "Integrated Octa-core 64-bit ARM Cortex-A53 at up to 1.2 GHz per core."
  • "Embedded Mali450-MP4 GPU, supporting 3D graphics processing, OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0."

So apparently the build is built by or in cooperation with Linaro, is intended for this board, supports all 8 CPU cores and the GPU and can run OpenGLS on it. That being so it seems like it should be able to drive the desktop reasonably well.

However, the graphics performance on the LXE desktop is painfully slow; Dragging a simple window such as a LXterm leaves the window trailing so sluggishly after the mouse pointer that it takes several seconds to catch up and arrive at the indicated destination. This happens at all the resolutions I've tried so far (1920x1200 and 1280x720).

I notice that the CPU doesn't peak during a window move so maybe the GPU is being used but it feels like it's not.

Is this the expected behaviour or is there some extra step I should undertake in order to enable the GPU or make better use of it?

Lincoln  
A follow-up to the above;

I've started using synergy so that I can use the mouse and keyboard on my workstation to control the HiKey board. this means that the keyboard and mouse traffic now comes in over Ethernet rather than through the mouse and keyboard attached directly to the device.

The desktop is much more responsive when dragging a window via the synergy mouse than it was when using the locally-attached mouse. (And if I use the locally-attached mouse now it is as slow as before. It behaves the same whether attached directly or via a hub.)

So, it seems the sluggish responsiveness of the desktop has more to do with the locally attached mouse than the GPU.

for this problem, you can post at 96boards.org forum, all the software are now developing by linaro.

and from my opinion, maybe the GPU binary in the hikey os do not support X11 feature.

Lincoln  
It turned out to be a fault in the solder joints of the 12v power socket on the board. We re-soldered them and the board suddenly started operating properly. It runs at the expected speed, the desktop is fully responsive and it no-longer crashes at random intervals.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules