Bananian

2GB SD not detected but 4GB one is

2 766
camper  
Edited by camper at May 07, 2016 13:03

Hi,

I have 2 SD-cards here, one with 4GB that is used for booting Bananian and the other is a 2GB one. Both are detected fine and can be written on my Windows Notebook in the SD-slot.

After having booted Bananian from the 4GB SD-card to the SATA SSD, when removing the SD-card the /dev/mmc* disappears. It appears again if I plugin the 4GB SD-card. But when inserting the 2GB SD-card, no /dev/mmc* appears. When copying the files from the 4GB SD-card on Windows to the 2GB SD-card and plugin it into the B-Pi, no green flashing occurs so I guess it also is not detected at this stage.

I'd like to use the old 2GB SD-card instead of the 4GB one. Is it normal that some SD-cards are detected by Bananian, but others aren't?

Thanks in advance.
Tom

Tido  
Edited by Tido at May 08, 2016 10:38
After having booted Bananian from the 4GB SD-card to the SATA SSD

Hi, this explanation is not clear to me.
Did you copy the SDcard to the SATA-SSD and boot from SATA?

Beside, IIRC you will always need a SDcard and at least the /boot partition on the SDcard to boot the device,
even if you have the System on the SATA-SSD.
So you cannot change the SDcard while the device is running.

Edit:
my old SDcard (2GB) from 2010 wouldn't boot. Make sure you have two to test in case one doesn't work.
The SDcard should be at least 4GB big.

camper  
Did you copy the SDcard to the SATA-SSD and boot from SATA?

Yes, please see my other thread .

Beside, IIRC you will always need a SDcard and at least the /boot partition on the SDcard to boot the device,
even if you have the System on the SATA-SSD.
So you cannot change the SDcard while the device is running.

According to my limited understanding, the SDcard only is used during the boot process. After booting, it is not mounted (any more).

The SDcard should be at least 4GB big.

Why? The boot partition is only a couple of MB large.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules