Bananian

Installing 4.4 Kernel results in ro rootfs /dev/sda1

2 170
Edited by GreenDaddy at Aug 24, 2017 09:12

Hi,
I have a running bananian instance on my BananaPro with the 3.4.111 Kernel and use my SATA disk as rootfs.
Preparing for a potential upgrade I installed the 4.4 Kernel:
apt-get install u-boot-pro-bananian
apt-get install linux-image-4.4-bananian

looked good.
upon reboot, I realized that
  • rootfs was ro and
  • I had missed to change the rootfs for mainline kermel in boot.scr so my rootfs was mounting the SD card (my fault)

I modified the boot.cmd, generated a new boot.scr and rebooted.
Now rootfs was on my SATA disk again, but still readonly. mtab showed ro as well.
Since there are no logs written due to the ro fs, I honestly did not know how to troubleshoot.

I tried to remount as rw:
  1. mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /
Copy the Code

which succeeded:
  1. Aug 23 22:26:03 bananapi kernel: [   54.027373] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: data=ordered
Copy the Code

But on reboot, it was ro again.

When I switched back to 3.4.111 Kernel using bananian-config, everything was fine again, all my server components were starting as normal.
I then tried to install 4.4.66 again - same result.
So I now am running 3.4.111 to have a working system.

Since there are no logs I feel stuck. Is there any hint on how to troubleshoot this or maybe even a solution?

My fstab:
# UNCONFIGURED FSTAB FOR BASE SYSTEM

# 512 MB swapfile
/swapfile1 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sda1  /           ext4    defaults,nodiratime,data=writeback,errors=remount-rw        0       0

My boot.cmd (should be standard):
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Boot loader script to boot with different boot methods for old and new kernel
# Credits: https://github.com/igorpecovnik - Thank you for this great script!
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if load mmc 0:1 0x00000000 uImage-next
then
# mainline kernel >= 4.x
setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 console=tty1 root=/dev/sda1 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait
load mmc 0:1 0x49000000 dtb/${fdtfile}
load mmc 0:1 0x46000000 uImage-next
bootm 0x46000000 - 0x49000000
else
# sunxi 3.4.x
setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 console=tty1 sunxi_g2d_mem_reserve=0 sunxi_ve_mem_reserve=0 hdmi.audio=EDID:0 disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1680x1050p60 root=/dev/sda1 rootfstype=ext4 elevator                  =deadline rootwait
setenv bootm_boot_mode sec
load mmc 0:1 0x43000000 script.bin
load mmc 0:1 0x48000000 uImage
bootm 0x48000000
fi

Thanks for any hint!

regards

Green Daddy

rahu  
Written by the exact same Eric that developed the Eric's Solitaire Example as well as Eric's Ultimate free klondike solitaire for Mac OS. You could drag and also drop or tap cards to removal them.

Note: The author has been banned or deleted.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules