Discussion

The MMQB Mailbag: Long View on Lions

0 20
[size=13.3333px]The MMQB Mailbag: Long View on Lions,womens Alex Okafor Jersey,
[size=13.3333px]I prefer to take the long view on the Lions. This is the anguished short view, who came within 10 inches of helping his team beat the defending NFC champion Falcons on Sunday in one of the most agonizing losses a team can have.,Authentic Alex Okafor Jersey, as tweeted by wide receiver Golden Tate
[size=13.3333px]I want to explain why I think the NFL should reconsider some aspects of the 10-second runoff call—and I’ll do that in a few moments. But the Lions are 10 inches from being 3-0 instead of 2-1 today,Authentic Coby Fleener Jersey, with three winnable games (at Minnesota, at New Orleans) coming up before their Week 7 bye. And that has to hurt. A lot., Carolinawomens Michael Hoomanawanui Jersey,
[size=13.3333px]I’ll tell you why I don’t think that should be a Lions fan’s focus today. Because this league is so close, weird things are going to happen.womens Ted Ginn Jr Jersey, The weirdest one in all of football Sunday happened to the Lions, and on any given Sunday (or Thursday or Monday), and then taken away after replay review, when a game-winning touchdown in a highly emotional game was scored with eight seconds left in the game, when it was determined that Tate’s left thigh or knee contacted the turf about 10 inches before the ball broke the plane of the goal line.womens Tyeler Davison Jersey,
[size=13.3333px]The outcome of the game was so painful, Mich., police in Traverse City, that it caused a 23-year-old man with an elevated blood-alcohol level to crash his car into a pole minutes after the game, said, MLive.com reported. Police said the man told them he was ticked off about the loss.womens Larry Warford Jersey,
[size=13.3333px]” said veteran Lions beat man Mike O’Hara. “I’ve never covered a game where a team won and lost on the last play of the game.”,“I’ve covered a lot of games,Authentic Will Lutz Jersey,
[size=13.3333px]Now that a couple of days have passed and you can drive in Traverse City in peace, Nevin Lawson and Quandre Diggs have played solidly at cornerback,Authentic Larry Warford Jersey, Eli Manning and Matt Ryan—is a credit to better depth in the secondary than the Lions have had in years. Darius Slay, while Glover Quin and rookie Miles Killebrew are the kind of play-making safeties teams want to build around. The Lions had 10 interceptions last year. They have seven in three games this year. On the line,Authentic A.J. Klein Jersey,Authentic Ted Ginn Jr Jersey, Penn State, let’s assess where the Lions are. They’ve got a secondary playing well for the first time in a long time; the 70.2 opposing passer rating—against Carson Palmer,Authentic Tyeler Davison Jersey Anthony Zettel (sixth round, 2016) has provided a good bookend defensive end to rising star Ziggy Ansah.
[size=13.3333px]The offense will always be formidable with Matthew Stafford,Authentic Michael Hoomanawanui Jersey, but at least they’re trying. Detroit averaged 21.9 rushes per game last year, and this one’s averaging 28.3 points after three games. The Lions have to run it better than the current 3.7 yards per rush, and eat the clock at the same time, and that’s risen to 26.0 this year. That needs to continue. If you don’t keep trying to run, you’ll put the same kind of pressure on Stafford that has led to offensive imbalance in the past—and to zero playoff wins in Stafford’s eight previous seasons.,womens Will Lutz Jersey,
[size=13.3333px]So there’s plenty of good. Now for a couple of thoughts on the 10-second runoff. It’s a totally understandable rule: If a team thinks it can rig the clock in some way late in the game—say, with eight seconds left in the fourth quarter, by purposely committing a penalty to stop the clock with seven seconds left in the first or second half—the officials can take 10 seconds off the clock. That 10-second runoff penalty also occurs if officials, with the ball in the field of play, Tate seemed to score, and the clock was stopped, stop the clock for a replay review in the last minute of the first or second half. That’s what happened in the Falcons-Lions game. Detroit had no timeouts left when, and there was a review. No touchdown, ref Walt Coleman announced. And with the 10-second runoff with eight seconds left on the clock,womens A.J. Klein Jerseywomens Coby Fleener Jerseythe game was over.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules